PVCs

A

Anonymous1

Just looking at the FAA guide for AMEs. 2 or more PVCs

If no evidence of structural, functional or coronary heart disease and PVC's resolve with exercise - Issue

Otherwise - Requires FAA Decision

Is the deferral process pretty straightforward as long as there’s no other heart issues? Can you continue to fly until they review all your medical records (specifically 1st class medical). I realize it all depends on circumstances but just trying to get an idea of what I can possible expect.

From time to time you will see a pilot running a lap or two around the 90 x 120 hangar (he’s got the ten electrodes under his shirt) and then we’ll do a quick EKG B4 the heart rate slows down)….

But mostly, lay off the caffeine for a week!

Several decades ago, so info not worth a whole lot...but here's an experience as a reference point
I found out that I had PVC's, by trying to donate blood. They caught it doing their checks...
I don't recall if I had a 3rd class or 2nd class at that point. I ended up doing a whole work-up. I don't recall how much of this was FAA requirements vs just stuff the regular doctor ordered ...cardiologist visit, echocardiogram, a holter monitor for a time (24hrs? or more?), etc... I honestly have no memory of doing a stress test at that point.

Then sometime later....I'm pretty sure it was for my next FAA medical, I had to do a follow-up visit and I do remember a stress test that time around that was an FAA requirement, no holter monitor that time. Once that was cleared...asymptomatic and benign.... FAA said more or less, "go forth and live life...no further action required."

Oh, and I meant to add.... to Dr Chien's point.... when I found out that I had them, that was the time of my life when I was drinking the most coffee I ever did. I'd sip coffee pretty much all day at work, sometimes with dessert even after dinner.... I knocked all that off years ago.

And I don't know that I've had any PVC's in a long while. I could only tell if I check my pulse, but haven't found any in many years...and I've been hooked up to ekg's several times, and listened to many more through the years and nobody has ever said anything.... I still drink coffee but generally no more than 2 cups in the morning

Several decades ago, so info not worth a whole lot...but here's an experience as a reference point
I found out that I had PVC's, by trying to donate blood. They caught it doing their checks...
I don't recall if I had a 3rd class or 2nd class at that point. I ended up doing a whole work-up. I don't recall how much of this was FAA requirements vs just stuff the regular doctor ordered ...cardiologist visit, echocardiogram, a holter monitor for a time (24hrs? or more?), etc... I honestly have no memory of doing a stress test at that point.

Then sometime later....I'm pretty sure it was for my next FAA medical, I had to do a follow-up visit and I do remember a stress test that time around that was an FAA requirement, no holter monitor that time. Once that was cleared...asymptomatic and benign.... FAA said more or less, "go forth and live life...no further action required."
Did you self ground until you satisfied the FAA? I have all my paperwork ready for the FAA. Will they ground me until they make a decision?

Did you self ground until you satisfied the FAA? I have all my paperwork ready for the FAA. Will they ground me until they make a decision?
As I get older, I find more and more example of things that it seems like I should remember, but I just don't. As time passes, details fade....and no I'm not geriatric with alzheimers....just healthy 57....still I just don't recall the timeline and particulars...
I can say with good certainty that I didn't self ground, had no indication that I needed to. I did jump right on it though. Found out I had the PVC's on a Saturday trying to donate blood.... well they didn't name it or diagnose anything, just let me know there was something. On Monday I was in a Dr's office. Pretty sure I then followed up with an AME in short order.

Back