cpd99915

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
cpd99915
Hi all,
this is my first post here. Recently I've been experiencing a large amount of stress and almost constant worry about my work, studies, and my future. I feel this has not had any impact on my flying and flying/thinking about flying is pretty much the only time I don't experience any stress. I am strongly considering going to a psychologist to hopefully discuss my issues and find some coping techniques. I will not accept any prescriptions or a psychiatrist referral due to my knowledge that it will make holding onto my first class medical very difficult. My main concern is, what diagnoses do I have to look out for as I plan to pay for this with insurance and how would these visits affect my ability to retain my 1st class medical?

Thanks in advance,

Are you suggesting a visit to a clinical psychologist vs. a psychiatrist to avoid getting in to "the system?" There may be a variety of non-psychiatric counseling options through local churches and community service organizations that might be a better alternative.

Start a vigorous exercise program, assuming you are not doing it now. Running/swimming/cycling etc. will clear your mind wonderfully and help you cope with life's stresses (which all us mirror-foggers have) much better than any shrink or meds.

Start a vigorous exercise program, assuming you are not doing it now. Running/swimming/cycling etc. will clear your mind wonderfully and help you cope with life's stresses (which all us mirror-foggers have) much better than any shrink or meds.
:yeahthat: Weight training does wonders to relieve any stresses.

My bartender listens to all my problems. And solves them too!!

Note to FAA (was just kiddin!)

Are you suggesting a visit to a clinical psychologist vs. a psychiatrist to avoid getting in to "the system?" There may be a variety of non-psychiatric counseling options through local churches and community service organizations that might be a better alternative.
Not really trying to avoid being in the system, I just thought a psychiatrist would be less than helpful as I'm under the assumption they only write scripts for patients and are less about talking it out.

Not really trying to avoid being in the system, I just thought a psychiatrist would be less than helpful as I'm under the assumption they only write scripts for patients and are less about talking it out.

The main difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist is one is more focused on patients and the other is more focused on academics. I think what you are seeking is a master's level therapist, who typically deal with normal people with difficulties vs. the mentally ill.

Not that I'm advocating it. Like some of the others, the bartender is my therapist, my financial manager is my counselor, and the gym is my church. I personally find it more productive to attack the specific items that are giving you stress.

Sorry Sac, the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist is that one is a medical doctor and the other is a PhD. The doctor treats the physiological issues and the PhD talks the patient to death.

I tried one of those hippie therapists a few years back. One day, she asked me to hug a pillow, pretend it was my feelings and then said, "Tell me what you are thinking right now." I told her I'm thinking it's time I quit therapy and take up boxing. So I did. This guy had me fixed up in no time...
djata.jpg

Find whatever works for you - whether it's a psychologist, psychiatrist, hippie therapist, boxing coach, or some quiet time and a good bottle of single malt. Flying is wonderful and all, but you have to take care of yourself first and foremost. Good luck.

First question first: Why do you carry a 1st Class when not necessary? They're a lot of smart folks who say not to do that. Only carry what you need.

Second: Get whatever help you feel is needed. Health before flying. Folks have pointed out some alternatives, but in the end if you need help and have to report it, well there's ways to do that. Get some advice from a quality AME like Doc B or whoever about the process so you're not surprised.

Third, life is stress. You mentioned studies so I assume you're a young person. It doesn't necessarily get better. More than anything if you want to get on with it, you need a healthy coping mechanism or ten. Learn. Work on better mental habits. If you're generally eating on a daily basis and not living in your car, you don't know real stress.

But even then, if you're the sensitive sort, from one former worry wort to another, I can promise that worry is nothing more than a useless habit that is destructive without action. If you're worried about something, decide what the next step is to alleviate the worry and do that. If you can't fix it, let it go. And recognize that there's plenty of people on the planet who have far bigger hurdles to overcome than yours.

If Stephen Hawking can be a world renowned astrophysicist, with almost no ability to move his body and no way to speak without a computer, you can handle whatever got tossed your way. Nobody's been drafted into a war in quite a while either. You've got it pretty good.

There's your pep talk. If you can't cope, get help. If you can cope, get on with looking actively for your best healthiest stress relievers. And don't laugh at stuff. Try it all.

Damned if yoga isn't freaking awesome for me, although I don't do it enough. Hard to worry about your puddly life problems when you're just trying to stay upright without falling over in a pose that's making every damn muscle hurt just to try to hold it and all of your concentration to not be "that dumb guy" falling over with a mighty crash.

Some people like meditation. Some like their liquor (that one will have other problems that'll come with it, but there you go...). Some like cycling. Some like fishing. Some like running. Whatever. Just try stuff. You'll find something that works. Heck just drop and make yourself do ten push-ups when you decide you're worrying too much. You'll either get huge arms or you'll get sick of push-ups and worrying. Either way works.

Hi all,
this is my first post here. Recently I've been experiencing a large amount of stress and almost constant worry about my work, studies, and my future. I feel this has not had any impact on my flying and flying/thinking about flying is pretty much the only time I don't experience any stress. I am strongly considering going to a psychologist to hopefully discuss my issues and find some coping techniques. I will not accept any prescriptions or a psychiatrist referral due to my knowledge that it will make holding onto my first class medical very difficult. My main concern is, what diagnoses do I have to look out for as I plan to pay for this with insurance and how would these visits affect my ability to retain my 1st class medical?

Thanks in advance,
I'd first try taking up a vigorous physical activity (like kickboxing) to burn off the stress. You don't need the FAA heat that seeing a shrink will bring.

ps just saw R-Dude beat me to it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back