PSA for anyone who visits Branson

Warning pilots to wear seat belts while driving.

Hmmmm...

Do you wear seat belts when you operate aircraft?

Sorry man. No love for theories that driving regulations are optional. Much less that flying regulations are.

Rules are rules. And rules rule. So operate in accordance with them in every vehicle you choose to operate.

Good point and one I missed originally. It doesn't change my initial statement however that tickets fund for government and there is a financial incentive for police to write more tickets. Safety is a secondary reason.

Warning pilots to wear seat belts while driving.

Hmmmm...

Sorry man. No love for theories that driving regulations are optional. Much less that flying regulations are.

Rules are rules. And rules rule. So operate in accordance with them in every vehicle you choose to operate.
Let me guess, you never go even 1mph over the speed limit. Got it.

Good point and one I missed originally. It doesn't change my initial statement however that tickets fund for government and there is a financial incentive for police to write more tickets. Safety is a secondary reason.

Completely agree, hence my Armed Revenue Service comment. It is a racquet for sure. I have a good friend who is a practicing defense attorney (never know when a lawyer will come in handy) and he will gladly admit it.

Let me guess, you never go even 1mph over the speed limit. Got it.

Quick read of all the threads about speeding, the fast lane, etc will confirm. I obey the speed limit.

And I don't understand why anybody doesn't.

FWIW last time I was there, apparently did not park precisely in the lines downtown & returned to find something under my wiper, it was official, not a ticket, from the city, strongly encouraging me to do a better job parking next time! Gosh it was cute I love those people. Also, watch Ozarks on Netflix, it slays me.

Operating? Nope.

Flying? Yes.

Sorry Im not putting on my seatbelt to taxi 130 yards from the hangar to the fuel pumps just to get right back out of it. Just like I don't wear my seatbelt for my 3 minute commute home.

Operating? Nope. Flying? Yes.

Sorry Im not putting on my seatbelt to taxi 130 yards from the hangar to the fuel pumps just to get right back out of it. Just like I don't wear my seatbelt for my 3 minute commute home.

Familiar with the statistic that 33% of accidents occur with 5 miles of your home? [obviously not EdFred's home, but the home of one or more persons involved in the accident]

Familiar with the statistic that 33% of accidents occur with 5 miles of your home? [obviously not EdFred's home, but the home of one or more persons involved in the accident]
I've heard it but I've never actually seen it verified and the accident I've been in occurred when I was more than 20 miles from home, and I do wear my seatbelt on longer trips.

We all should move, then. :)

At first I wondered how they knew where I lived. Then I just started spending the night at friend's homes that were 10 mi from mine (safety margin)

Now I just follow the ****ing rules. Problem solved.

Now I just follow the ****ing rules. Problem solved.

I used to think that would work too, but have realized if the idiots can’t keep a vehicle on four wheels without rolling it over in stop and go traffic, we’re doomed anyway.

But then there’s always the UK who can always one-up the stupid level even higher on anything anyone can possibly find....

https://whdh.com/news/schools-repla...-ones-because-students-couldnt-read-them/amp/

I asked our guy at work who’s from the UK about this stupid knife ban they’re doing and he shrugged and said pocket knives have been banned where he used to live since he was eight.

He didn’t see it as abnormal at all to need a knife license. Amazing how fast a dumb or useless rule becomes accepted.

Quick read of all the threads about speeding, the fast lane, etc will confirm. I obey the speed limit.

And I don't understand why anybody doesn't.

Because you're allowed 8 over with no worries in almost all states I've driven in, and 13 according to a state patrolman I had a beer with when I was working in Ohio when their speed limit was still 65, and when I was driving 50,000 to 75,000 miles per year that's a LOT of time. Well over 100 hrs/yr.

But, I'd never disparage anyone for doing the speed limit. That is, as long as they don't park it out in the left lane, next to an 18 wheeler, slowing everyone else down, just to be a righteous dick. The right lane is their friend.

Rules are rules. And rules rule.

I'm (obviously) cut from the "rules are made to be broken" cloth. Life's a helluva lot more fun that way!

Last edited:
Because you're allowed 8 over with no worries in almost all states I've driven in, and 13 according to a state patrolman I had a beer with when I was working in Ohio and their speed limit was still 65, and when I was driving 50,000 to 75,000 miles per year that's a LOT of time. Well over 100 hrs/yr.

But, I'd never disparage anyone for doing the speed limit. That is, as long as they don't park it out in the left lane, next to an 18 wheeler, slowing everyone else down, just to be a righteous dick. The right lane is their friend.

I'm (obviously) cut from the "rules are made to be broken" cloth. Life's a helluva lot more fun that way!
Nebraska is one of those exceptions if you have out-of-state plates. Within the first 2 weeks here, I was pulled over for doing 1 (yes, one over) in an inactive construction zone (66 in a 65 MPH zone). The cop came to the right side window and when I rolled it down, he stuck his head in and looked in the back. He gave me a warning and a long speech about construction zone safety.

I was pulled over for doing 1 (yes, one over) in an inactive construction zone (66 in a 65 MPH zone).

That's interesting. I've been pulled over doing about 4 over. The latest was a few weeks ago here in Missouri when I passed a cop (fully marked car) who was camped out in the left lane doing about 2 below the speed limit. So I passed him on the right! That didn't set too well with him and he pulled me over. No ticket, he just wanted to tell me that it's not wise to pass a fully marked cop car, especially on the right. Who knew. ;)

My attitude towards speeding was developed during my tenure with O'Reilly and FedEx. I drove A LOT all across the US because when I needed to visit numerous facilities that were 60 to 150 miles apart air travel just isn't an option. Sure, I might fly to Phoenix or Memphis or Des Moines or Chicago or Atlanta or Cleveland or Boston or San Jose or wherever, but then I'd rent a car and put 1,000 miles on it over the course of the week visiting a dozen or so properties in that area.

My boss at both O'Reilly and FedEx was the same guy and he'd always tell me "you drive, I'll handle the tickets." He was an attorney and a damned good one! (thank God!) I've mentioned before that I've been arrested in about 30 states. That's not an exaggeration...if one considers being pulled over for speeding as being arrested which, I guess, technically it's not*. :)

* It's my understanding that the law doesn't define this as being arrested but in practice, when you don't feel that you are free to leave, it certainly feels like an arrest; i.e. you're not free to leave = arrested (in my mind's eye).

Back