Provate pilot sample questions

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Any suggestions on where to get sample questions to prepare for the private pilot's exam? My niece is trying to brush up for the knowledge test before here check ride.

Thanks,

Best,

Dave

Re: Private pilot sample questions

I think we have some in the Links Database here.

Oops, I always make that mistake, too! It is, indeed a great site...good luck to her!

Dave, I used the Sporty's practice exams (private and instrument) and when I took the real thing, it was just like another practice.

Dave--I am a *huge* fan of Dauntless Soft. It beats the crap out of that online test stuff because you get the diagrams you need right in front of you, E6B, plotter, etc. It also lets you test your weak areas. I've used it for all my written tests and everyone I've ever showed it has bought it. $35

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/Products/GroundSchool/private.asp

Thanks again folks! Lindsay passed the written today. Used several of the sample questions suggested to prepare. She said she only had trouble with three questions: two were about tail wheel aircraft which she isn't flying and one was which wing had the red light and which was green <g> She said she had to really think about a couple weather questions, but got them correct.

Thanks again for all the help.

Best,

Dave

Dave--I am a *huge* fan of Dauntless Soft. It beats the crap out of that online test stuff because you get the diagrams you need right in front of you, E6B, plotter, etc. It also lets you test your weak areas. I've used it for all my written tests and everyone I've ever showed it has bought it. $35

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/Products/GroundSchool/private.asp

Wow - I used to use dauntless-soft for checklists for flight sim, and then, as a basis for creating my own checklists for real airplanes. I didn't know they did stuff like that!

I love dauntless so much, I will probably use that for my IR too.

Dave--I am a *huge* fan of Dauntless Soft. It beats the crap out of that online test stuff because you get the diagrams you need right in front of you, E6B, plotter, etc. It also lets you test your weak areas. I've used it for all my written tests and everyone I've ever showed it has bought it.

Jesse, I value your opinion on things pilot- and computer-related... so, why did you go with Dauntless over the free sites or (more interestingly, to me) other paid sites?

I've run trial versions of their testing software. I do like the price versus other paid options I've found. But, I wonder whether the additional info they supply is worth it over the free sites (in combination with physical plotter, E6B, and supplement [available free from FAA]). Also, are the online versions of the diagrams actually usable? (I seem to recall the need to measure to a gnat's behind on some of the PP questions)

What say you?

Jesse, I value your opinion on things pilot- and computer-related... so, why did you go with Dauntless over the free sites or (more interestingly, to me) other paid sites?

I've run trial versions of their testing software. I do like the price versus other paid options I've found. But, I wonder whether the additional info they supply is worth it over the free sites (in combination with physical plotter, E6B, and supplement [available free from FAA]). Also, are the online versions of the diagrams actually usable? (I seem to recall the need to measure to a gnat's behind on some of the PP questions)

What say you?

Good question Joe. I've never found a website that is really that good for studying. I like to study individual categories at a time and brute-force the questions until I get them all right. I slowly keep adding additional categories and eventually I test with all of them.

Yes, the diagrams are very useful in the software. I never once have had to go to an actual paper diagram. You can do all the measuring on the electronic diagram using the plotter and whatnot built into the software. This makes it *really* fast for me to rip through all the questions.

At the end of the day it probably wouldn't matter what you test with. I like to do it at a really fast pace and I like software that tracks my weak areas. I've always found that this software works well for me and it is only $39. I'm not really going to waste too much time trying to find a website that works as well considering how the software is only $39.

There is a feature in the Daughtless software that I really like. It eliminates all questions that are the same concept as another question. You end up testing with an answer pool that is about 1/10th the size of the original. As long as you understand the concept behind each question you have no problem when you add the rest of the pool. I hate doing the same kind of question over and over and over. There are also really good explanations for each question.

I've seen people using websites to study before and everytime that I've showed them this program they end up just buying it. It just feels more efficient.

Last edited:
Jesse, thanks for the reply.
It sounds like we share some of the same study habits - I also like to drill. Sounds like this could be just the ticket. I do like that it keeps track of weak areas. And, the ability to eliminate redundancy among questions on the same concept.

Good point on wasting time evaluating options - I often get caught up in analysis; the paradox of choice and all that. But, the price is right.

Back