Pros/Cons of Joining the Civil Air Patrol?

Nate gives good insight on the inner working of the CAP.. but.... If you peel back the layers you will find the Air Force and the CAP are tighly woven together... For Instance.........

1- Apply to join the CAP and watch where your application goes, and your fingerprints, and your check.
It goes to the CAP National HQ, which happens to be on Maxwell AFB. USAF folks have no input into membership acceptance or denials. They simply provide some space.

2- The planes are Clearly marked U.S. AIR FORCE.
Nope.
http://capmembers.com/media/cms/R066_001_8067887A28C8C.pdf, page 12 shows the currently approved markings. Now, there are aircraft that have "USAF AUX" on the tail, but those markings are old and will be removed whenever that plane is repainted.

3- The cadet program closely mirrors military boot camp with senior USAF officials reviewing the kids and cherry picking the best sheeples that fit their needs.
Nope. The USAF folks are no longer involved in any of the testing for cadets. Until about a year ago, they administered the final test for the top-achievement in the program, but they handed that off to internal CAP personnel at that time.

4- As with any guvmint org, you can ask 100 different CAP people a question and get 100 different answers.. It is really hard to fit in when Bubba says to do it this way and Clem says not to do it that way..:mad2:
Yes, people disagree about rules and regulations. Just take a read on any thread about the FARs and you'll get just as much disagreement.

I would like to think there are decent wings out there for good and honest people to join and share the love for aviation, you just need to look VERY close at them before wading into the deep end..:redface: IMHO.
It helps if you look at actual information, rather than misinformed rants, though.

It goes to the CAP National HQ, which happens to be on Maxwell AFB. USAF folks have no input into membership acceptance or denials. They simply provide some space.

Nope.
http://capmembers.com/media/cms/R066_001_8067887A28C8C.pdf, page 12 shows the currently approved markings. Now, there are aircraft that have "USAF AUX" on the tail, but those markings are old and will be removed whenever that plane is repainted.

Nope. The USAF folks are no longer involved in any of the testing for cadets. Until about a year ago, they administered the final test for the top-achievement in the program, but they handed that off to internal CAP personnel at that time.

Yes, people disagree about rules and regulations. Just take a read on any thread about the FARs and you'll get just as much disagreement.

It helps if you look at actual information, rather than misinformed rants, though.

I respect your opinion..... but politely disagree...:yes::rolleyes:

I joined as a donating member so I could use the local Navy Flying Club. No complaints so far, I get an email here and there but really not much else. Best use of my $$ IMO.

Actually, you're entitled to your opinion, I have however stated facts, in contrast to your rants.

Look at your responses...

In the last year the CAP has changed its rules to correct it's "issues". like the USAF displayed on the planes and the Cadet criteria moved away from USAF control...... Can you share with us why they had to make those changes if the CAP was such a great program over the last 60 years ?:dunno:.....

I will admit that I don't know the whole story about funding, budgets etc... However, I do know that my experience in CAP has been great! There are some squadrons, or wings, that are more or less "strict" when it comes to the regs, but that really varies from squadron to squadron. As for the events at Oshkosh, I would like to think that the cadets are better trained, or informed. I'm sure they were probably told not to let anyone cross the cones and, without really thinking about it too much, just blew their whistle! I bet other people have similar stories with some adult volunteers. As for the cadet programs, I do agree it is mostly cadet programs and aerospace education, SAR is a very small part, at least in my squadron. I would just like to encourage you to, if interested, give CAP a fair shot.

Look at your responses...

In the last year the CAP has changed its rules to correct it's "issues". like the USAF displayed on the planes and the Cadet criteria moved away from USAF control...... Can you share with us why they had to make those changes if the CAP was such a great program over the last 60 years ?:dunno:.....

The plane markings changed years ago. Before I joined. They revised

In terms of the cadet program, the USAF handled testing for the Spaatz award, which <1% of cadets even attempt anyways, for many years. The AF cut back on their liaison staff and decided that it was an area that wasn't core to them.

I will admit that I don't know the whole story about funding, budgets etc... However, I do know that my experience in CAP has been great! There are some squadrons, or wings, that are more or less "strict" when it comes to the regs, but that really varies from squadron to squadron. As for the events at Oshkosh, I would like to think that the cadets are better trained, or informed. I'm sure they were probably told not to let anyone cross the cones and, without really thinking about it too much, just blew their whistle! I bet other people have similar stories with some adult volunteers. As for the cadet programs, I do agree it is mostly cadet programs and aerospace education, SAR is a very small part, at least in my squadron. I would just like to encourage you to, if interested, give CAP a fair shot.

There really are two different CAPs...the cadet squadrons then then senior squadrons. Yes, there are "composite" which merge the two. The cadet squadrons emphasize aerospace education and the basic ground ops (ELT searches) and flight ops (glider education, orientation rides, etc). The senior squadrons do very little aerospace education and usually focus on emergency services. Why? Because it's not appropriate for the cadets to stumble upon mangled bodies from airplane crashes.

Going back to a comment Nate made - most of it is taxpayer money. But would you rather spend $X Thousands of taxpayer money for USAF overflights to locate an ELT that's often in a hangar or check fire/flood damage, or $Y hundreds for CAP to do the same? It really is an economic question.

As for other questions - again, to reiterate Nate - every volunteer organization has its own personality. CAP is no different.

There really are two different CAPs...the cadet squadrons then then senior squadrons. Yes, there are "composite" which merge the two. The cadet squadrons emphasize aerospace education and the basic ground ops (ELT searches) and flight ops (glider education, orientation rides, etc). The senior squadrons do very little aerospace education and usually focus on emergency services. Why? Because it's not appropriate for the cadets to stumble upon mangled bodies from airplane crashes.

Going back to a comment Nate made - most of it is taxpayer money. But would you rather spend $X Thousands of taxpayer money for USAF overflights to locate an ELT that's often in a hangar or check fire/flood damage, or $Y hundreds for CAP to do the same? It really is an economic question.

As for other questions - again, to reiterate Nate - every volunteer organization has its own personality. CAP is no different.

+1 :thumbsup:

I was a member as a teenager before going into the airforce.just recently I joined as a senior member ,to give back to the younger members.It all depends on the squadron you join on the experience you receive.in reality the cap was formed for search and rescue missions and training of youth.It can work real well or it can be a truly bad experience.

4- As with any guvmint org, you can ask 100 different CAP people a question and get 100 different answers.. It is really hard to fit in when Bubba says to do it this way and Clem says not to do it that way..:mad2:

There's an easy fix for that... Tell them to quote the regulation. Can't find it? That is the idiot to ignore.

If you're a Commander and you're really out of control, I'll notify an Inspector General. Rarely does anything warrant that level of escalation, but it's there...

I joined as a donating member so I could use the local Navy Flying Club. No complaints so far, I get an email here and there but really not much else. Best use of my $$ IMO.

Guardrail, please tell me you aren't talking about the Whidbey Flying Club?

Sent from my iPhone using An APP that doesn't pay me to advertise for them.

This is an old thread, but here is my opinion on joining Civil Air Patrol:

If you are a pilot, don't.

I read on the CAP website that the three qualifications to be a pilot for CAP were to be 18 years old, have a valid airman's certificate, and a current medical. I met all three, and so I joined. The Form 5 Checkride is the flight that allows pilots to be CAP pilots. I asked for one, and was given many excuses why it could not be done. I even offered to rent a civilian 172 to do it, and was told that the initial Form 5 had to be done in a CAP aircraft. I don't know if that regulation actually exists.
After two years, I left to go to another squadron and have had a similar experience. I have another flight review coming up and requests for a Form 5 ride are met with silence. I have come to the conclusion that it is indeed the private flying club funded by taxpayer money that everyone says it is.
I have flown four times in three years, all as a passenger. I did get to fly a glider, because recent maintenance had been done, cadets could not fly without a test flight first, and it was either me in front or a weight. Best 15 minutes of my time in CAP. My squadron commander was furious when he found out I had flown. The pilot was a CFIG, so I logged it.
I wore dress blues on nights that the cadets did, out of respect for them. I keep in very good shape and grooming out of respect for the uniform. The worst experience was having my dress blues publicly critiqued (tiny wisp of a thread on a button) by a morbidly obese female CAP member, who was in fact terrified of flying and resentful of those who could wear the AF uniforms.

I was not previously aware that they made blue BDUs as large as hers.

CAP seems to have no purpose now except to find a purpose for itself. SAR is fading fast, with new ELTs transmitting GPS. Aerial Photography will pretty much be done by drones from now on. The cadet program is best done in an educational setting by JROTC.
And I haven't heard of any German U-boats off the east coast in a while.

Going on 4 years, still waiting for the Form 5 checkride that will never come.

JMHO, Save yourself time, money and aggrivation. If you are a pilot, don't join. You are seen as a drain on available flight time and you can only harm the GOB club.

When my membership expires I am not renewing.

Last edited:
I joined years ago. They had a 108 hp super cub that was gov. Surplus in excellent condition. No one flew it so I had it pretty much to myself for three years. Today, I see the same two guys flying the same cessna 172 type , dressed like they were flying a B52 but I've never seen any kids flying with them if they do, it's seldom. It must depend on the location.

I joined years ago. They had a 108 hp super cub that was gov. Surplus in excellent condition. No one flew it so I had it pretty much to myself for three years. Today, I see the same two guys flying the same cessna 172 type , dressed like they were flying a B52 but I've never seen any kids flying with them if they do, it's seldom. It must depend on the location.

its a good thing that no kids fly with them :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

This is an old thread, but here is my opinion on joining Civil Air Patrol:

If you are a pilot, don't.

I read on the CAP website that the three qualifications to be a pilot for CAP were to be 18 years old, have a valid airman's certificate, and a current medical. I met all three, and so I joined. The Form 5 Checkride is the flight that allows pilots to be CAP pilots. I asked for one, and was given many excuses why it could not be done. I even offered to rent a civilian 172 to do it, and was told that the initial Form 5 had to be done in a CAP aircraft. I don't know if that regulation actually exists.
After two years, I left to go to another squadron and have had a similar experience. I have another flight review coming up and requests for a Form 5 ride are met with silence. I have come to the conclusion that it is indeed the private flying club funded by taxpayer money that everyone says it is.
I have flown four times in three years, all as a passenger. I did get to fly a glider, because recent maintenance had been done, cadets could not fly without a test flight first, and it was either me in front or a weight. Best 15 minutes of my time in CAP. My squadron commander was furious when he found out I had flown. The pilot was a CFIG, so I logged it.
I wore dress blues on nights that the cadets did, out of respect for them. I keep in very good shape and grooming out of respect for the uniform. The worst experience was having my dress blues publicly critiqued (tiny wisp of a thread on a button) by a morbidly obese female CAP member, who was in fact terrified of flying and resentful of those who could wear the AF uniforms.

I was not previously aware that they made blue BDUs as large as hers.

CAP seems to have no purpose now except to find a purpose for itself. SAR is fading fast, with new ELTs transmitting GPS. Aerial Photography will pretty much be done by drones from now on. The cadet program is best done in an educational setting by JROTC.
And I haven't heard of any German U-boats off the east coast in a while.

Going on 4 years, still waiting for the Form 5 checkride that will never come.

JMHO, Save yourself time, money and aggrivation. If you are a pilot, don't join. You are seen as a drain on available flight time and you can only harm the GOB club.

When my membership expires I am not renewing.
You can't become a CAP pilot until you get qualified as aircrew. It makes sense considering you need to know what the aircrew are doing.

I have been in several squadrons in several states. If you want to fly in CAP show up saying you want to learn and you will get to fly. You might have to spend time and money getting qualified in a non flying position first. Showing up and asking for a F5 is telling everyone that you have nothing to learn.
Getting pilots to join and fly their aircraft is not a mission of Civil Air Patrol.

You can't become a CAP pilot until you get qualified as aircrew. It makes sense considering you need to know what the aircrew are doing.

More often then not the "aircrew" doesn't know what they are doing...

I have been in several squadrons in several states. If you want to fly in CAP show up saying you want to learn and you will get to fly.

Yeah, right....:no::no::no::nonod:
You might have to spend time and money getting qualified in a non flying position first. Showing up and asking for a F5 is telling everyone that you have nothing to learn.
Getting pilots to join and fly their aircraft is not a mission of Civil Air Patrol.

The mission of the Civil Air Patrol is to NOT let anyone fly THEIR aircraft...

Ps... those planes belong to EVERY taxpayer
...:rolleyes:

I have been in several squadrons in several states. If you want to fly in CAP show up saying you want to learn and you will get to fly. You might have to spend time and money getting qualified in a non flying position first. Showing up and asking for a F5 is telling everyone that you have nothing to learn.

I AM qualified aircrew, and in fact offered to rent a 172 - the one I usually rent - to do the F5. I did rent it anyway, to do my flight review.

My F5 requests are never turned down, they just never respond at all. I have now been waiting for a checkride nearly as long as US involvement in WWII.

It would be instructive to see a breakdown of hours, who is flying them. The privileged few I think. Maybe a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit is in order.If I can show that it is a private flying club, especially when the Federal budget is being put together, that would go a long way towards defunding CAP.

And that would be a worthy goal.

Life is too short to care, stop participating and let your membership lapse.

Oh I forgot about the US government ride share program. Totally gonna borrow a destroyer. Or maybe one of them F16s.

Oh I forgot about the US government ride share program. Totally gonna borrow a destroyer. Or maybe one of them F16s.
Yeah CAP 172s have the same purpose as F-16s.:rolleyes: Without those 172s we'd be up to our ankles in German Uboats.

I AM qualified aircrew, and in fact offered to rent a 172 - the one I usually rent - to do the F5. I did rent it anyway, to do my flight review.

My F5 requests are never turned down, they just never respond at all. I have now been waiting for a checkride nearly as long as US involvement in WWII.

It would be instructive to see a breakdown of hours, who is flying them. The privileged few I think. Maybe a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit is in order.If I can show that it is a private flying club, especially when the Federal budget is being put together, that would go a long way towards defunding CAP.

Sure. That was easy to get until last October, and will be easy to get once they finish upgrading their transitional tracking software.

You understand why I took your original post the way I did. I joined CAP in 1989, got my pilot certificate just a few years ago, and only started flying with CAP within the last couple years. I do a lot of work supporting CAP's missions. When it works out, I fly. Often I don't. Usually I'm doing something on the ground.

Point is I didn't join and don't remain a member for a flying benefit.

Point is I didn't join and don't remain a member for a flying benefit.
Proficiency flying at a low rate is one of the shiny objects dangled in the water to sell CAP to pilots. If your experience has been different than mine then God bless you, but for me it has not materialized. CAP boasts that they own the largest fleet of single engine Cessna in the world. What they do with them all I do not know.

I recently joined. It seems that I got lucky... every meeting I go to, I am met with excitement at a new pilot coming in the group.

Every meeting is about how we need to fly the aircraft more. We have the new 182T G1000 and I frequently see it flying.

All of the other pilots and I have swapped information so we can get my training going and get the checkrides done. I meet every single requirement they have (even for O-flights).

:dunno:

Proficiency flying at a low rate is one of the shiny objects dangled in the water to sell CAP to pilots. If your experience has been different than mine then God bless you, but for me it has not materialized. CAP boasts that they own the largest fleet of single engine Cessna in the world. What they do with them all I do not know.
I kind of agree and I'm one of those who miss the glory days of member owned aircraft and equipment. It isn't that my experience was different. I had to jump through a bunch of hoops myself and ended up driving or flying hours totake key checkrides. We do a poor job of indoctrinating new pilots sometimes and I have had many of the same complaints as you have.

I worked myself into an unforgiving position of responsibility and I guess that helped me work things out eventually, so I can only imagine what some other go through. What I do know is that CAP turns out new pilots periodically. I suspect that due to the unpaid nature of the program you have to convince check pilots to go out of their way for you to get your prep and rides done. I had trouble doing that. I imagine I am not the only one.

We need to do better at that.

When I was in I was able to fly with just the usual paperwork hoops. But I can see how some squadrons could set themselves up as an exclusive flying club. I know it is airplanes and all, but CAP is a perfect example of a government program that wouldn't die once its usefulness(harassing german subs)passed. Not worth getting excited about, if people are interested they need to check out their local group it is pretty easy to quickly get the vibe and join or move on.
I recently joined. It seems that I got lucky... every meeting I go to, I am met with excitement at a new pilot coming in the group.

Every meeting is about how we need to fly the aircraft more. We have the new 182T G1000 and I frequently see it flying.

All of the other pilots and I have swapped information so we can get my training going and get the checkrides done. I meet every single requirement they have (even for O-flights).

Sounds like what I've heard about the Cartersville bunch of late.
A buddy of mine is with them and it seems that he's the only one there willing to do the intro rides. So he flys a lot. (With cadets) But he flys a lot. My only trouble is the meetings on thurs at 7 pm. I don't get off work untill then. There's no way I could make a meeting.

You could use the same argument for all DOD aircraft. Does that mean I can drive over to Buckley AFB and ask to fly an F16, assuming I'm qualified?

You could use the same argument for all DOD aircraft. Does that mean I can drive over to Buckley AFB and ask to fly an F16, assuming I'm qualified?

Sure... Have at it.....

If you are qualified and have joined their "group".. Then how could they say no?:dunno:....

Sure... Have at it.....

If you are qualified and have joined their "group".. Then how could they say no?:dunno:....

I kinda take offense that you red bolded something I did not say and then replied to it like it was something I said.

Then again this Great Lakes Christmas Ale is really good this year.

I kinda take offense that you red bolded something I did not say and then replied to it like it was something i said.

Then again this Great Lakes Christmas Ale is really good this year.

Have another drink.... I was NOT talking to you.........

Altho, with your attitude..... you will make a good little CAP member.....

:cheerswine::cheerswine::cheerswine::cheerswine:

I think your right on. I could be wrong but I usually see the same two or three flying. Very little participation by anyone else.

Life is too short to care, stop participating and let your membership lapse.

Greg, I intend to do just that, but CAP won't get off that easy. I will also go rogue. I can't kill off CAP but with the help of others who have been as bitterly disappointed as I, we can organize a letter writing campaign and get the funding cut. It is just a colossal waste of money for taxpayers to buy and maintain all those aircraft, and pay for a mission that is no longer needed. Something like $37 million this year alone.

There are organizations that specialize in fighting taxpayer waste, and they need to know what is going on with CAP.

With $37 million, the Pentagon could have bought an entire box of hammers.

Jeez, dude. You're a member. You don't need a FOIA request. Log into WMIRS and look.

Maybe you're not getting responses because it's obvious you're not ready. Prior to your F5, you are supposed to be familiar with CAPR 60-1. It's all in there.

Remember, you are asking for some 10 hours of free flight instruction if you include G1000 transition training. IMO, prohibiting CFI charges in CAP planes is a mistake, and it makes for instructor shortages.

You may have to do some legwork to find instruction. You're asking for free instruction. You can do it anywhere in the state. With approval, even out of state. I had to do mine in Oakland, a near two hour drive. But I got it done.

Much of CAP is proving you're not a wanker out for free flying time. People need to know they can depend on you. And with the attitude you show here, I would NOT trust you in an aircrew.

I'm not entirely sure you understand what "qualified aircrew" means. Which positions? None of them are relevant for F5, though MO can help with some avionics proficiency.

Last edited:
Jeez, dude. You're a member. You don't need a FOIA request. Log into WMIRS and look.

Maybe you're not getting responses because it's obvious you're not ready. Prior to your F5, you are supposed to be familiar with CAPR 60-1. It's all in there.

Remember, you are asking for some 10 hours of free flight instruction if you include G1000 transition training. IMO, prohibiting CFI charges in CAP planes is a mistake, and it makes for instructor shortages.

You may have to do some legwork to find instruction. You're asking for free instruction. You can do it anywhere in the state. With approval, even out of state. I had to do mine in Oakland, a near two hour drive. But I got it done.

Much of CAP is proving you're not a wanker out for free flying time. People need to know they can depend on you. And with the attitude you show here, I would NOT trust you in an aircrew.

I'm not entirely sure you understand what "qualified aircrew" means. Which positions? None of them are relevant for F5, though MO can help with some avionics proficiency.

Colorful language aside, this is not inaccurate. My qualified aircrew comment was more about SAR/DR mission pilot. It was my mistake he was replying to.

WMIRS2 does not have the reporting capability WMIRS1 had yet. You can not currently pull up the aircraft usage reports you could just a few months ago so your comment about that is temporarily sorta untrue or at least inconvenient. I think this will be released shortly.

Look up the requirements to be a CAP pilot. I meet all of them. I did the 60-1 quiz, everything up to the W&B, and did not do that because I did not know which aircraft I'd be flying. Did a G 1000 course three years ago but have not used. Irrelevant anyway, the aircraft used would have been steam gauge.
I know of no regulation that says you must be MO to have the initial Form 5 in a steam gauge 172. If that exists, show it to me. I have been MS for some time, am partway through MO. The flights are hard to get.
If the wankers are those out for free flying time, I know some and am not one. Many of the higher ups who fly never show up unless it is a SAREX or flying opportunity of some kind. Those are the true wankers. I offered to pay for a non CAP 172, as one excuse was that the aircraft was in some other part of the state. As far as not trusting me in an aircrew, well, I have spent my career doing design, inspection, and construction work on bridges, dams, and railroads. You may have already unknowingly trusted your life to my judgement, education, and skills. If anyone has ever issued you a driver's license, that is.

As far as my attitude goes, it was good until I was jerked around one time too many.

A member of this forum has contacted me privately and advised me on a course of action. As a result, my plans for the defunding/euthanasia of CAP are on hold.

You only have one airplane in your wing?

MO is not a requirement for a form 5. I found it helpful for avionics.

"Your plan to defund CAP?" Really? Delusions of grandeur are an excellent reason to exclude a member from aircrews. And I wouldn't fly with a pilot suffering that under any circumstances.

Part of a form 5 is demonstrating CAP procedures. A rental 172 could be used for a C mission, with wing approval and a form 73. Did you get it? They also have different W&B due to nearly 200 lb of CAP radios, DF, and the survival kit.

Last edited:
Back