Prop "TBO" - Opinions?

So, a number of people have mentioned having a prop "sealed" or "re-sealed" as needed.

I'm clueless about that process, so fill me in... Is it disassembled for this "sealing" or is it somehow done externally?

In other words, can any inspecting be done or is there nothing visible?

A prop reseal normally consists of disassembling the prop, inspecting it, replacing any defective parts and seals, greasing the hub, if oil filled replacing the oil, reassembling the prop, verifying the pitch stops are properly adjusted, the prop leading edges are dressed and usually the tips are painted and statically balancing it. If the prop needs overhaul, any required parts for overhaul are replaced and the prop leading edges are ground. A reseal often costs about half of an overhaul. A typical prop will make it thru three overhauls before the blades need to be replaced, at which time it is often more efficient cost wise to scrap the prop and replace it with a new one.

Info from Rocky Mountain Propeller today...

They say "in order to keep our FAA Repair Station certificate" they follow manufacturer's recommendations to the letter now.

McCauley says "six years", they do a complete overhaul to zero-time at six years. No IRAN, no "re-seal".

Surprisingly the price wasn't outrageous...

I suspect once you take all the variables of what different owners want out of it... it's easy to keep pricing reasonable since all you do is complete overhauls to zero-time.

Info from Rocky Mountain Propeller today...

They say "in order to keep our FAA Repair Station certificate" they follow manufacturer's recommendations to the letter now.

McCauley says "six years", they do a complete overhaul to zero-time at six years. No IRAN, no "re-seal".

Surprisingly the price wasn't outrageous...

I suspect once you take all the variables of what different owners want out of it... it's easy to keep pricing reasonable since all you do is complete overhauls to zero-time.

Define " Wasn't outrageous" .:dunno::dunno::yikes::wink2:

Ben.

$2200 to zero-time a 2-bladed stock McCauley, not including removal or reinstall.

Within Denver Metro they'll pick up the prop at your shop and return it if you elect not to have them pull it up at KEIK.

If they pull/replace, $365.

Here's the surprising one...

Dynamic Balance, $425.

$2200 to zero-time a 2-bladed stock McCauley, not including removal or reinstall.

Within Denver Metro they'll pick up the prop at your shop and return it if you elect not to have them pull it up at KEIK.

Dynamic Balance, $425.

They did the prop on the Frankenkota a couple years ago. Had Vector pull it, bolt it on, and balance it after the overhaul. Vector was hourly rather than fixed fee from RMP. Total cost was same since balance work needed done. Would have been cheaper from Vector if balance not needed. Vector was looking after a helo at the time so they had the equipment and experience to balance. Don't know if they still have the helo around. Someone planted it rather firmly on the runway about the time the prop was overhauled.

On the other hand, you can pull the prop yourself and save a few shekels...

Knowing my luck I'd drop the thing or put the airplane on its ass with the CG change, or something equally stupid.

I think I'll leave the heavy lifting to someone qualified who's done it before.

Won't say I wouldn't mind learning how to do it, or even do the mythical unicorn "supervised" work, I love that kind of stuff... hands dirty and working on cars with both grandpa and dad was a weekend staple as a kid...

But someone else's insurance can pay for whatever "oops" might come along on the airplane, frankly. ;)

I'll stick to flying them and poking my nose in if a mechanic doesn't seem too annoyed or busy to teach a few things along the way.

Dynamic Balance, $425.

Decent price on the zero time..:yesnod:

About double on the dynamic balancing. :yikes:

Ben.

However, if there is say corrosion, or wear beyond spec, the cost can go up dramatically.

Back