Prop Strike Questions

U

Unregistered

Landing at a busy Towered airport and just before I touched down the tower said go around your landing gear is not down. I climbed out and cycled the landing gear again and they came down so I landed with no problem. I taxied back to the end of the runway and took off and headed home. I did not hear anything when I did the go around and the plane was performing great. It was dark when I landed at home so I parked the plane and went home. The next morning I returned to the plane to clean off the bugs. To my surprise one inch of the tip of the prop was bent back. Apparently before the go around I was close enough to the ground to hit it with the prop. I have put the plane into the shop to have a tear down inspection done on the engine and repair or replace the prop and anything else needing fixed.

My Questions:
1) Do I need to notify the FAA about this?

2) If so, do I need to file a NASA report first?

3) Should I hire an Aviation Lawyer to help me report this to the FAA?

4) If a NASA report is needed, what wording should I use to describe this strike. I have read that the use of propper words is critical when filling out the report so not to hurt your case or incriminate your self.

Thank you for your help with this.

Landing at a busy Towered airport and just before I touched down the tower said go around your landing gear is not down. I climbed out and cycled the landing gear again and they came down so I landed with no problem. I taxied back to the end of the runway and took off and headed home. I did not hear anything when I did the go around and the plane was performing great. It was dark when I landed at home so I parked the plane and went home. The next morning I returned to the plane to clean off the bugs. To my surprise one inch of the tip of the prop was bent back. Apparently before the go around I was close enough to the ground to hit it with the prop. I have put the plane into the shop to have a tear down inspection done on the engine and repair or replace the prop and anything else needing fixed.

My Questions:
1) Do I need to notify the FAA about this?

2) If so, do I need to file a NASA report first?

3) Should I hire an Aviation Lawyer to help me report this to the FAA?

4) If a NASA report is needed, what wording should I use to describe this strike. I have read that the use of propper words is critical when filling out the report so not to hurt your case or incriminate your self.

Thank you for your help with this.

No, the tower may notify the FAA about the near miss, but they can't tell you bent the prop. Follow the course you set, get it repaired no one will be the wiser, except your wallet.

1. no
2. no
3. no
4. no

Fix it and move on. Stuff the rest of it, and call to thank the tower.

1. no
2. no
3. no
4. no

Fix it and move on. Stuff the rest of it, and call to thank the tower.

this and fix the gear horn

OTOH, you can file the NASA report if you analysis of the incident leads to some info you can share which might help someone else avoid a similar mishap. Just don't put anything self-incriminating in the NASA report title.

Read up on what and when damage has to be reported. http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=668cb67a8b98048d80dc5032b33b520a&node=pt49.7.830&rgn=div5

Substantial damage means damage or failure which adversely affects the structural strength, performance, or flight characteristics of the aircraft, and which would normally require major repair or replacement of the affected component. Engine failure or damage limited to an engine if only one engine fails or is damaged, bent fairings or cowling, dented skin, small punctured holes in the skin or fabric, ground damage to rotor or propeller blades, and damage to landing gear, wheels, tires, flaps, engine accessories, brakes, or wingtips are not considered “substantial damage” for the purpose of this part.

One of the benefits of landing at a towered airport! A month or so ago when I was waiting to take off the tower told a twin landing that he didn't have his gear down. He went around. It happens more often than you'd think!

No need to report anything and good that you're getting the engine inspected.

Substantial damage means damage or failure which adversely affects the structural strength, performance, or flight characteristics of the aircraft, and which would normally require major repair or replacement of the affected component. Engine failure or damage limited to an engine if only one engine fails or is damaged, bent fairings or cowling, dented skin, small punctured holes in the skin or fabric, ground damage to rotor or propeller blades, and damage to landing gear, wheels, tires, flaps, engine accessories, brakes, or wingtips are not considered “substantial damage” for the purpose of this part.

You know, it's amazing how many times I've read this and never quite caught the part that says "are not considered " and that big list of damage isn't substantial.

So you almost landed gear up, hit the prop, then came back around, landed, took off again and flew home - do they call you Lucky?

Read up on what and when damage has to be reported. http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=668cb67a8b98048d80dc5032b33b520a&node=pt49.7.830&rgn=div5

That's the NTSB, not FAA.

So you almost landed gear up, hit the prop, then came back around, landed, took off again and flew home - do they call you Lucky?

I remeber a check ride that did the same thing with the DPE on board.
The DPE called the go around. They flew back to the original airport of departure and found the prop tips damaged. Pilot did not pass the check ride, DPE faced an evaluation from his FAA supervisors for waiting so long to call the go around.

I'd be curious what the divots on the runway look like.

Could be an insurance claim.

Hash marks in the pavement, 4-6 inches long and about 6 inches apart.

Yes, an insurance claim, they may want the FAA report.

Of course it did! You field modified you prop into a Q-Tip prop, kind of like putting winglets on the tip of your wings.

Just tell the FAA it is a Q-Tip prop:
http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/inst_reports2.cfm?article=4060

An FAA ramp inspector once red tagged a twin with Q-tip props on a Twin Comanche and started an investigation on the pilot. It did not matter that the tips were painted with no evidence of scratch marks from striking pavement.

Let's just say he was more than slightly embarrassed when his supervisor had to intervene.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back