Prop Balance How Often

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
So how often should you balance you prop?

Owned my baby Beech for 20 years and have never had an IA suggest I balance the prop. Over the years the prop has had nicks filed out and has been painted.

Prop has never been removed during my ownership. Runs good, no vibration that I am aware of.

The articles I have read say to dynamically balance every 100hrs or at each annual for metal props and 25hrs for wooden props. Static balancing to be done when overhauled.

Comments please..

My 3-blade has been checked twice by a dynamic balancer and has not needed anything. My old 2-blade CS was dynamically balanced a couple of times and it made the plane vibrate worse than before balancing. I'm not a big dynamic balance fan. I am a fan of overhauling the prop more than most private guys although I do extend a few seasons past mfr interval recommendations. The smoothest prop I've had is my 3-blade when new or right after overhaul.

I'd do it at least once, and again after overhaul, paint, or if it feels out. There is a huge difference between someone who just buys the machine and someone who has experience. Someone who knows what there doing can make a good difference in a plane in a very short time.

I have my MT composite re torqued every twenty five hours,just had the prop overhauled and had it dynamicly balanced after re installing it.

You really only need to rebalance it changing something. Paint the spinner, paint the prop, etc.

If it vibrates more after you dynamically balanced it the job wasnt done right.

Balancing the rotating mass in the engine when you build it is a much better solution than adding washers to the spinner backing plate!

Balancing the rotating mass in the engine when you build it is a much better solution than adding washers to the spinner backing plate!

Except for the time and money involved. 200 bucks and 30 minutes to do a prop balance job.

Besides I'm sure most turbines are balanced internally, we still do a prop balance on them.

I've had several of my own props dynamically balanced. My comment that I'm not a fan does not come from inexperience. It doesn't bother me that some guys endorse it. Probably the same guys that say to never overhaul a CS prop. To each their own.

If it runs smoothly and doesnt need it, dont do it. It might get WORSE. If its not broken, dont fix it.

I have my MT composite re torqued every twenty five hours,just had the prop overhauled and had it dynamicly balanced after re installing it.

I'm running a MT and now wondering why you do this?

I don't recall reading anything saying this is necessary.

Some engines have counter-balances in them, so you won't necessarily "feel" a difference, but you're reducing a lot of wear and tear on the engine itself. Mine went from a .54 to a .004 with a dynamic balance. I felt a small difference, but not as big as they thought I should have.

I intend to continue to balance it... watching closely to see what comments come out on intervals. I've heard everything from every 100 hours, every annual, every 500 hours, and every overhaul. I'm around 150 hours since my last one (not even a year yet) and I intend to have it done after my annual (January) to see how much variance I've had on it.

Last edited:
Anything over .2 needs it.

Takes a guy with a dynamic balancer, who knows what he's doing, about 30 minutes including printing the logbook sticker.

Back