Project Pilot Mentors Needed!

Jeff Oslick

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff Oslick
Based on messages in another less-read forum that refreshed my memory, I'd like to remind folks of the AOPA Project Pilot Mentor program. By signing up, you can, either by email and/or in person, help fledgling pilots earn their wings.

If you are interested in being a Project Pilot Mentor, but don't know any potential students personally, I recommend signing up on AOPA's Pilot Mentor page:

http://www.aopa.org/project_pilot/find_service4.cfm

You'll need your AOPA member number. You can either be an email-only mentor, or an in-person mentor (or both). I've done a bit of email-mentoring in the past, and just renewed my entry. You need to re-up every 90 days (I've asked AOPA to increase this time a bit).

Jeff

What are the requirements?

As a 30-hours-past-PPL-checkride pilot, I wonder if I have enough experience to be helpful.

Mark-

There are no requirements to be an AOPA Mentor. Actually, I think as a new PP you have a valuable perspective to offer students that folks with more hours don't have anymore.

Jeff

Jeff;

Thank you for the infomation. I did not know about the 90 day re-up.

I feel that pilots who have just gone through the training process would make great mentors to the new people.

John J

It's the 90 day thing that's a problem. I'm so freaking old, I'm lucky I can remember to pee in the morning let alone sign up every 90 days.

OK, I'm in the list now. I searched after signing up, and discovered that I was now one of TWO pilots for NJ!

There are also 2 students pending - I think I'll contact the one closest.

MSmith said:
OK, I'm in the list now. I searched after signing up, and discovered that I was now one of TWO pilots for NJ!

There are also 2 students pending - I think I'll contact the one closest.

I signed up too, to find that I was one of about a dozen pilots in PA on the list. That's all! I didn't look at the student list though. Will do that.

Jim G

I went ahead and signed up. Apparently I'm the only mentor listed for Maryland. One potential student had signed up in March so I went ahead and sent them a "Hi there" email.

Jeff Oslick said:
Based on messages in another less-read forum that refreshed my memory, I'd like to remind folks of the AOPA Project Pilot Mentor program. By signing up, you can, either by email and/or in person, help fledgling pilots earn their wings.

If you are interested in being a Project Pilot Mentor, but don't know any potential students personally, I recommend signing up on AOPA's Pilot Mentor page:

http://www.aopa.org/project_pilot/find_service4.cfm

You'll need your AOPA member number. You can either be an email-only mentor, or an in-person mentor (or both). I've done a bit of email-mentoring in the past, and just renewed my entry. You need to re-up every 90 days (I've asked AOPA to increase this time a bit).

Jeff

Great to see some pilots taking advantage of Project Pilot.

The material resources they'll send you and the people you take up for rides, or refer to Project Pilot Instructors, make the whole flying experience look more structured and official to the neoflytes...

I was amazed to check the list of California students seeking mentors to only find two! (As you can imagine, Southern Cal has a very large percentage of the student pilot population.) As I mentioned before, I think AOPA has slackened quite a bit on promoting the mentoring program, and I did send an email asking them to work on this.

Jeff

My pilot mentor and I are still in touch by email pretty frequently, even though he is about 1,000 miles away and has given up flying (temporarily) to raise his young family. But he's still a great source of encouragement and advice.
Pilot Mentor is a GREAT program and everyone who signs up to be a mentor is doing a real service to the community of fledgling pilots, so thanks to you all behalf of us low-timers.
Elizabeth

well, I'm now one of 2 listed here in New Mexico - and the only one listed in Albuquerque. There are no students listed yet. I hope if called upon, I can help someone.

I sent an e-mail to one of the two students listed in NJ. She replied, and I replied to that, but I haven't heard back since.

No other contacts yet.

Just signed up, here in Michigan I am now number two with Ed F. being number one. I must admit, I was quite surprised to only see us two. I figured I'd be about 50th on the list. Although I don't know why, this is the first I heard about signing up for it. I see the reports on it in the AOPA mag, but just assumed you signed up for it when you already had a student in mind. I can be such a dope sometimes.

Back