Project C150H

buzzard86

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jim R
Came across a 1968 Cessna 150H for sale at a local airport. Plane has not flown in 10 years, paint looks to be probably a 2/10, it has no radios and I think it's grossly overpriced. I'm not giving this particular plane any serious consideration, but I'm desperate to get off the rental line and it got me wondering if a plane like this could be a diamond in the rough or if most planes that have been sitting are simply basket cases.

Here are the specs. TTAF 5900, engine TT 2130, SMOH 900, STOH 0. Jugs were all replaced in 2001 and then owner moved out of state shortly thereafter and the plane has not been flown since. Engine was not pickled and the plane has been outside on a tie down in Southeastern Pennsylvania.

I am told that the logs are complete and NDH. Owner is an A&P/IA living in Florida. He claims that without tools and space here in PA, it's not worth the hassle of fixing it himself and he wants to move it as-is.

I considered the engine to be a runout simply because of how long it had been sitting. Seller (A&P) downplayed the necessary repairs and said the new owner would have to pull the jugs and inspect for corrosion/pitting, hone the cylinders, and inspect the cam. He said it's all labor except for the cost of cylinder base seals and intake and exhaust gaskets.

Again, I am not giving this plane consideration but hope to use the example as a learning opportunity.

In this market, would you run from a plane that's been ignored on a tie down for a decade? What you would expect in an engine that's been sitting like this? Even in a best-case scenario, what costs do you think would be involved to get an annual given the lack of attention that this plane has received? I presume that worst-case scenario is that the cylinders and cam are grossly rusted and an OH would be necessary.
I also imagine that the state of the airframe would be a whole 'nother discussion.

-Jim

If you have to pay for labor, they could give it to you and you'd be underwater.

If you have to pay for labor, they could give it to you and you'd be underwater.

Remember we are dealing with a lawn mower engine here. The big expense is not labor, its the FAA certified parts.

I'm just going to throw out a guess of $1200 for labor on that job. I would think that you could bore scope the cylinders before doing this job and determine if they are pitted and need replacement to the tune of several hundred bucks each, or if they are just in need of a light hone and lubrication/ reassembly. As mentioned the cylinders and cam are the big potential problem areas.

The fuel system will also need to be drained and cleaned. Carb too. Maybe another 500-600

As for the airframe - you could have issues if water was sitting in areas for years. But nothing a normal pre buy would not uncover..

Owner's an A&P and he doesn't want to fix it... free plane and free labor if you're in his shoes.. What does that tell you?

Owner's an A&P and he doesn't want to fix it... free plane and free labor if you're in his shoes.. What does that tell you?

Maybe he has a nice bonanza.

When you can find a nice running plane for 10k i'd steer clear of this one unless you're handy and its cheap.

If I could verify the cylinders and cam were serviceable and the wings were not about to fall off.. I might bite at around 5k. But I love spinning wrenches.

That's funny. Before I read your comment, the number in head was also $5K.

There's too many flying examples in better condition. Another ramp-rot airplane that's going to end up scrapped for her parts.

Certainly raised a red flag. He's in Florida and the plane is registered there as well, but it sits on a ramp outside Philly. He says it's not worth his hassle to truck his tools up and find someplace to work on it. I think the bigger question is why an A&P ever even let the plane get to this state.

That's funny. Before I read your comment, the number in head was also $5K.

If he were asking around $5k I might at least take a closer look. I can live with the aesthetics if it's airworthy and cheap. Unfortunately, I don't think he really wants to sell it. :rolleyes2:

Just curious, but is the bore scope analysis simply a matter of pulling the plugs and taking a peek? Would it cost more than an hour or two of an A&P's time?

I think the instruments (seals, bearings/bushings, etc) should also be
considered as suspect.

Ditto brakes (master cylinder, calipers & disks)

Ditto tires, tubes, wheel bearings.

I'd also be inclined to peek behind the headliner.

Last edited:
I've bought several cars over the years that I brought back to life and back to nice cosmetic condition. An airplane is a different kettle of fish. Parts costs, risk of expensive corrosion problems and just ordinary, common repair parts could EASILY get you in the hole on this plane and still not be airworthy.

There are PLENTY of 150's around and they change hands often.

My uneducated $0.02,

Just curious, but is the bore scope analysis simply a matter of pulling the plugs and taking a peek? Would it cost more than an hour or two of an A&P's time?

The borescope peek doesn't reveal anything in the crankcase. To get a look at the cam and lifters and other such stuff, the jugs on one side need to come off.

Even as parts the thing will be questionable. Mice and birds do a lot of damage to undisturbed airplanes. There is likely to be much hidden airframe corrosion.

Dan

Back