Prohibition Has Been Repealed!

K

KennyFlys

Well, in Jacksonville at least...

Unanimous!

City of Jacksonville Repeals Anti-Homebuilding Ordinance

“Absolutely happy!” Milford Shirley, president of EAA Chapter 193, could hardly contain his enthusiasm Wednesday when he informed EAA that the Jacksonville City Council voted unanimously to repeal a city ordinance that prohibited working on or storing airplanes in residential areas. The council voted 15-0 in favor of City Bill 955, which repeals the so-called Everett Ordinance prohibiting parking, storing, repairing, and operating flying craft and airboats in residential districts. Read more
This may be one of the few things government came to their senses on.

Besides, if you ask any aircraft owner... planes are people, too! Accordingly, they serve protection under the Fourteenth Amendment! :)

You would think a city with five airports and one military airfield inside the city limits would have been a bit friendlier to aviation to begin with.

This never happened when I was living there!!

Nope, this city only cares about football and fishing.

An email from one of the EAA rabble rousers said this -

I will caution that we were put on notice that whenever, if ever, the zoning rewrite gets done they are planning on addressing aircraft along with the other hobbies. We will do our best to stay vigilant to participate in the discussion.

Government never sleeps.

Nope, this city only cares about football and fishing.

An email from one of the EAA rabble rousers said this -

Government never sleeps.

Great news and great job! What did the one old guy who got the ordinance in the first place say? There must have been some city council members who thought the ban was a safe vote.

Great news and great job! What did the one old guy who got the ordinance in the first place say? There must have been some city council members who thought the ban was a safe vote.
Like many such groups, I'm betting some envy played into pushing for a ban. I guess shade tree mechanics are just common folk but a fella building an airplane must be someone special and probably rich.

I'm not trying to send this to the spin zone. It's just plainly clear there is a lot of this going into the view of one who is a pilot and more so if they own an aircraft.

The intended victim of the ban (and it was one and only one person targeted) lived not far from us, in a very modest neighborhood. He wasn't an old guy, but probably in his 40s. Our houses are all 1950s 1400 square foot ranch houses with small boats parked everywhere, cars strewn randomly around the yards, and most of us have higher priorities than good lawn care. :redface: And they banned airplanes as a way to improve the quality of life? :dunno:

He had a whining busybody neighbor who found a sympathetic city councilman. I was disappointed because this councilman is a smart guy, civil engineer by trade, and he turned to the dark side. The original vote to ban was unanimous.

I saw recently the "victim" had an ad on Barnstormers for a very nice Midget Mustang, with the sad phrase, "divorce forces sale."

The only good thing about all this is the part of the zoning code that allows a property's use to continue after it's outlawed, as long as it's not deemed illegal by any other ordinance (like a brothel or something).

Back