Progressive inspections FTW!!

Skylane81E

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Duncan
As some of you may know I work for a repair station that cares for both trainers as well as 135 charter aircraft. That charter company operates a pair of SR22s along with a pair of Piper twins.

Today I did my Monday tach time checks. Cirrus A has reached it's inspection time limit and needs an inspection. Cirrus B has been waiting for me to take a mag off for 500 hour for a week but busy A&P was too busy:mad2: so it's also grounded.

Go tell boss that Cirrus A needs an inspection:
"Crap, I have a flight in that this afternoon!"

After some deliberation we decide that plan A is to try and finish the inspection on plane A and if I start to run out of time plan B is I will trade mags from A to B so the flight can still go.

Thanks to a high content of "routine" inspections on this event (and a little creative screw gun use by my boss) she was done 2 hours ahead of the flight. Enough time to take the mag off of B and get it run to the accessory shop.

Love it when a plan comes together!!

Need? No.

Want, you bet, they are starting a part time "assistant" tomorrow, we'll see how that goes.

Need? No.

Want, you bet, they are starting a part time "assistant" tomorrow, we'll see how that goes.

Sounds like a damn good idea. If you can wrench on a car or bike, you can easily wrench on an airplane. My bike is way more complicated than my Cherokee. That the FAA won't let owners do maintenance is nearly laughable.

Sounds like a damn good idea. If you can wrench on a car or bike, you can easily wrench on an airplane. My bike is way more complicated than my Cherokee. That the FAA won't let owners do maintenance on certified aircraft is nearly laughable.
FTFY.

Just got the new exhaust system that a buddy welded up for me installed on Sunday. Put new fuel lines (with firesleeve) on while I was at it. Next up is to re-locate the oil cooler and radiator and install cabin heat.

Sounds like a damn good idea. If you can wrench on a car or bike, you can easily wrench on an airplane. My bike is way more complicated than my Cherokee. That the FAA won't let owners do maintenance is nearly laughable.

Had one for almost three years but things just kept getting slower and slower and we didn't have any work for him. Hell I was spending half my time sitting arround or mowing the grass. Thankfuly we scored a Chieftan this winter and things have picked up quite a bit:)

Besides all that my end (repair station) of the operation is turning a profit!

While I agree that lots of folks capable of maintaining their aircraft are prevented from doing so by the maintenance laws I do think that requiring some kind of certification and training to work on an airplane (beyond the minor tasks of "preventative maintenance") serves us well from a safety standpoint.

Back