Progress report on the grass-strip tour

I gather that she is leaving LHV PA (or somewhere near LHV) for NY (maybe 20N?). Is that right? Thanks. - Mike

No, she left Jersy Shore, PA yesterday for a private grass strip owned by someone on the Citabra fourm. She's leaving there and heading south, I believe to her brothers to try to get some more R&R to kick the illness she's been fighting since OH.

Missa

Mike,
The strip Missa is talking about is in Kingston, NY, 2 miles from 20N.
Gil

Re: Thanks

Thank you, Missa & Gil. Okay, by that, I'm guessing that Diana will forgo her flight to New Hampshire and Massachusetts? Is that right? What state does her brother live in? I'm trying to estimate when she will get here (Tallahassee - Quincy) by plotting her progress so far. - Mike
Hi Mike! Sorry about not answering you for a bit. Hmmm, you may be gone when I'm planning to be there. :( I'll hang around SC and Georgia, and Alabama for a bit (weather permitting) and maybe you will be back before I head for Mississippi. Hope so! :yes:

Re: Thanks

Diana, let me know where you'll be hanging in SC, GA, and AL.
Will do! :)

I just found out about a neat grass strip in South Carolina called Dry Swamp (1DS). One of the Citabria guys told me about it the other day. He said it was a great place, had fuel, and friendly, interesting people.

Off in a bit, and will hopefully have internet access tonight. Will post some pictures and submit more ConUS claims tonight or tomorrow. :)

There is already quite a bit of material for a book about this trip and here are some possible chapter titles:

Fly free (not FOR free)

I get by with a little help from my friends.

In search of a bathroom, food, and everything else...or, my goodnes, how our priorities change!

The dog ate my lunch.

Salty, gravely, lovable old pilot guys

I want to be as strong and brave as Barb.

Keep your airplane keys in your pocket!!!

What is that smell????

The towel

Frosty in New York

Sleeping with a flashlight in your hand

You mean to tell me that you are doing this all alone??????

A gun rack in a golf cart

Where are you AT????????

Fox One

George and Buppy

Visit with you all soon! :)

anxiously awaiting release of your novel Diana

Gil, after landing and staying there, I think you may want to think twice about going in there.
What a relief to hear from you! :goofy:

I had this awful feeling :( all day Sunday that something was up and you weren't ok. Sue kept asking me "what's the matter?" :dunno: I kept answering "I haven't heard from Diana and that's not good."

PM me when you have a chance. No rush!

Fly safe, take care of yourself!

Gil

Just a short update with pictures. :)

Internet access has been very limited for me, so it's hard to connect with people sometimes on this trip. Sometimes I can't get cell reception either, and voice messages don't get to me for several hours at times. Sorry if I worried people. :redface:

After I left Kingston, NY, I landed at Van Sant for fuel, and had a great visit with Azhar and several other pilots before moving on.

Then I stopped at another grass airport for fuel...Lost Acres. Don Mower (what a great guy!) greeted me in his golf cart (with a gun rack :)), fueled my airplane and offered to make room in a hangar and a car to drive if I decided to stay. I was really getting tired of traveling by then and almost took him up on his generous offer. But the winds were forecast to pick up the next day, so I headed off for the scenic route down the Shenandoah Valley. It was absolutely gorgeous, just like everyone had told me it would be.

I got low on fuel and daylight Monday afternoon and stopped at Lynchburg for the night, and made it to Goose Creek (neat little airport!) yesterday. I'll hang out here for a few days before heading south. Tom, I probably need a break from flying for a few days so that I can be fresh for the last half of my journey. Sorry we won't be able to hook up this trip.

Attachments

• Citabria at Morrow farm 60.JPG
    Citabria at Morrow farm 60.JPG
    294.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Don Mower 50.JPG
    Don Mower 50.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Kutztown lunch bunch.jpg
    Kutztown lunch bunch.jpg
    606.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Men making decisions Keller Brothers.JPG
    Men making decisions Keller Brothers.JPG
    338.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Men making decisions Van Sant 50.JPG
    Men making decisions Van Sant 50.JPG
    306.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Speed limit Kutztown 60.JPG
    Speed limit Kutztown 60.JPG
    326.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Trunk Monkeys at Keller Brothers  60.JPG
    Trunk Monkeys at Keller Brothers 60.JPG
    259.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 55ec.jpg
    55ec.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 33
  • Flyin the Shenandoah 60.JPG
    Flyin the Shenandoah 60.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 30
Are you skipping the Northeast? :(

Hehe... No. ;) Port blocking. One of my e-mail accounts will send OK at home, the others work through the cell on the road. Guess which one that particular message decided to use. :rolleyes:

I hate port blocking. :mad:

Heh... Oh well. Next time.

Repeat after me. 587

They block sending email on port 25 to stymie spambots so about every ISP uses the official unofficial port of 587. Them spam guys would never figure that one out, would they?
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1838667,00.asp

Tom, I probably need a break from flying for a few days so that I can be fresh for the last half of my journey. Sorry we won't be able to hook up this trip.
Hey, yer in Virginia - North Carolina IS south!!!

Alas. Well, I'm disappointed, but I'll forgive ya. This time. If the Cherokee wasn't in for annual, I'd go up there to say hey. :yes:

Are you skipping the Northeast? :(
Andy, I'm sorry I couldn't make it up to meet you. :( I had originally planned on coming up your way.

I got behind in my time frames d/t weather delays and being sick and more weather delays and some other things and needed to head south.

I hope you guys have a GREAT honeymoon. :yes:

Andy, I'm sorry I couldn't make it up to meet you. :( I had originally planned on coming up your way.

I got behind in my time frames d/t weather delays and being sick and more weather delays and some other things and needed to head south.

I hope you guys have a GREAT honeymoon. :yes:

Thanks!

Hope you have a safe and enjoyable journey!

Here's a web log on Saturday's All Grass All Day tour in honor of Diana:

Link

... Bill
Bill that's fantastic! Thanks again for organizing the tour, being our fearless leader for awhile, and for posting the photos and commentaries. After reading what you and Herb wrote about the day, I think that you guys should write that chapter of the book. :yes:

Here's one more photo I didn't post on the Citabria forum yet (at least Herb and Pat were smiling :)).

Attachments

• Lunch money 50.JPG
    Lunch money 50.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 37
Hey, yer in Virginia - North Carolina IS south!!!

Alas. Well, I'm disappointed, but I'll forgive ya. This time. If the Cherokee wasn't in for annual, I'd go up there to say hey. :yes:
Well, I'm actually near Charlotte, NC, but will be off to Dry Swamp, SC tomorrow. I wish you'd find a way to come to Gaston's!

Chip made a cool map for me. :)

Chip made a nice map program for me. Hopefully, I'll be able to get internet access often and will keep the map updated frequently.

Grass strip trip

Thanks Chip!!!!! :)

After reading what you and Herb wrote about the day, I think that you guys should write that chapter of the book. :yes:

Here's one more photo I didn't post on the Citabria forum yet (at least Herb and Pat were smiling :)).

Be happy to write a little addendum to that chapter but we want to read YOUR thoughts on flying with Trunk Monekys.

I would have included a couple more of your photos in the web log but my PaintShop Pro image editer had trouble importing the images for some reason.

Like the map-thing Chip did for you!

Tailwinds, Bill

Here are a few photos of Missa and one includes her friend Shane. Missa was VERY patient with me before I arrived and while I was kinda there. It probably seemed rather chaotic at times. :D

Missa, thank you again for taking me into your home, for giving me rides, and for delivering my stuff via the Archer the day I left. :)

Attachments

• Melissa and Shane 50.JPG
    Melissa and Shane 50.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Melissa 50.JPG
    Melissa 50.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 62
You Trunk Monkeys are having a lot of fun with my "Citabria contraption" ah! :yes: 7G172C :redface:

Hey Bill, I got to see the ads, they are a riot! :rofl:

Saturday flying with the Monkeys and Diana was a blast! :yes:

Diana, Chip's map is a piece of programming art. Very nice! Now we can keep track of you graphically.

Excellent Chip!

Last edited:
ACK :eek: You went to VanSant and didn't call to let me know whenB) You in deep doo girl!

ACK :eek: You went to VanSant and didn't call to let me know whenB) You in deep doo girl!

Where were you??? It was all over the board for day before she went! Must have been too busy with all the FlyBQ prep and Logo wear stuff.
:goofy:
Missa

Well, I'm at a little airport outside of Alexandria, LA trying to wait out the storms to get to Jennings, LA. Interesting day so far.

Sorry Adam. :redface: I thought you were following the journey. I'll try to make it up to you at Gaston's. :)

Diana:

You were supposed to give some warning 'bout when you were headed this way! What's immediate plan?

You missed the free gas at M11...

Well, I'm at a little airport outside of Alexandria, LA trying to wait out the storms to get to Jennings, LA. Interesting day so far.

Sorry Adam. :redface: I thought you were following the journey. I'll try to make it up to you at Gaston's. :)

Diana, not so sure about La to central Tx but the TAFs for the rest of the route seem fair.

Aviation Digital Data Service (ADDS)
Output produced by METARs form (0115 UTC 22 May 2007)
found at http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/metars/index.php
KMAF 220001Z 220024 17011KT P6SM SCT060 SCT120 BKN250
TEMPO 0004 VRB20G30KT 5SM TSRA BKN040CB
FM0900 18011KT P6SM OVC012
TEMPO 1115 5SM BR BKN005
FM1600 25010KT P6SM SCT050

KSJT 212332Z 220024 19010KT P6SM SCT040 SCT150
TEMPO 0003 17015G22KT
FM0700 15010KT P6SM BKN025
FM1200 14010KT P6SM BKN012
FM1800 16012KT P6SM BKN040
PROB30 1824 3SM TSRA OVC035CB

KACT 212323Z 220024 16012KT P6SM VCSH BKN060
FM0100 17012KT P6SM SCT030 BKN050
TEMPO 0307 -TSRA OVC030CB
FM0700 17013KT P6SM -SHRA OVC030
TEMPO 0711 BKN015
FM1100 17014KT P6SM VCSH OVC030
FM1400 17014G19KT P6SM BKN040

KFST 212325Z 220024 17011KT P6SM SCT060CB BKN150
TEMPO 0004 VRB20G30KT 5SM TSRA BKN040CB
FM1000 16014KT P6SM OVC012
TEMPO 1115 5SM BR OVC005
FM1600 25010KT P6SM SCT050

KAUS 212324Z 220024 15005KT P6SM BKN035 BKN100
FM0700 15008KT P6SM BKN020 BKN050
TEMPO 0709 4SM -TSRA BKN020CB
FM1000 15009KT 6SM BR OVC015
FM1400 17015KT P6SM BKN025 BKN060
FM1800 16015KT P6SM BKN030

What's immediate plan?
Spike, I'm sitting in a disgusting little hotel room, weary and discouraged. I don't know what I'm doing next, but I'm running out of time. I wish I had a Garmin 396.

Spike, I'm sitting in a disgusting little hotel room, weary and discouraged. I don't know what I'm doing next, but I'm running out of time. I wish I had a Garmin 396.

If you can make it this far, Diana - sunny skies, warm friendship and a pretty decent room awaits you!

Nope, discouraged is not allowed! Look at what you've done the past few weeks!!!!!!!! Just sit back and recollect all the good stuff you've seen and experienced.

Now a disgusting little hotel room and all alone, I totally understand the bummer of that.....any chance of a place close by that you can upgrade to since you really deserve it!

Kaye.....who wished she could keep you company or at least had a 396 for you......

Diana:

It is unstable weather, to be sure, but the good thing is, you can launch in the daytime and just keep your eyes open. You'll have plenty of ceiling to work with, and plenty of duck-out airports. More likely, though, you'll be able to circumnavigate any storms you encounter.

Then, as you work east, looks better. Where's your intended destination tomorrow?

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KAEX 220053Z 13004KT 8SM CLR 23/18 A2996 RMK AO2 SLP149 T02330183[/FONT]
KAEX 212320Z 220024 16009KT P6SM VCSH SCT040 BKN060
FM0100 15005KT P6SM SCT150
TEMPO 0913 00000KT 4SM BR
FM1500 16010KT P6SM VCTS SCT040CB
PROB30 2024 2SM TSRA BR BKN025CB

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KHOU 220053Z 16005KT 10SM SCT030 SCT095 SCT250 25/19 A2995 RMK AO2 SLP146 T02500189[/FONT]
KHOU 220117Z 220124 16008KT P6SM SCT030 SCT100 SCT250
FM0600 15008KT P6SM BKN020
FM0900 13009KT P6SM VCTS BKN020CB
FM1200 14008KT P6SM BKN012 OVC025CB
PROB30 1420 5SM -TSRA
FM2000 15012KT P6SM VCSH BKN050
[FONT=Monospace,Courier]
KSAT 220053Z 15010KT 10SM FEW028 BKN042 OVC130 24/19 A2990 RMK AO2 SLP107 T02390194[/FONT]
KSAT 212324Z 220024 15010KT P6SM SCT025 OVC040
FM0900 15010KT P6SM OVC015
FM1600 16015KT P6SM BKN030

Last edited:
Diana,

What do they say? Adversity builds character?

Kaye's right: look at all you've accomplished, and what you've done. A LOT of folks wouldn't have the guts to do that. You've made friends along the way, you've survived, you've learned about you and your machine. I hope that you can condense your thoughts and experiences down to a book. "Meadow of my dreams: Diana fulfills a yearning".

I'd buy the book.

Remember: this picture's what it's all about....

p.s. I'd bet there are a number of members here that would be willing to donate their frequent hotel points to get you in a better hotel & room....

Attachments

• CitabriaTree.JPG
    CitabriaTree.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Just sit back and recollect all the good stuff you've seen and experienced.
Kaye, you have a good point. Just today a guy saw that the Citabria had more missing screws, he replaced them, and sold me fuel at cost from his private tanks. He was incredible.

Now a disgusting little hotel room and all alone, I totally understand the bummer of that.....any chance of a place close by that you can upgrade to since you really deserve it!
Well, I am in the process of shrinking and melting my blouses in their yucky machines. Plus, they were one of the few hotels that would come get me at the airport.

Kaye.....who wished she could keep you company or at least had a 396 for you......
I could use a good "girl talk" right now.

Last edited:
Diana,

What do they say? Adversity builds character?

Kaye's right: look at all you've accomplished, and what you've done. A LOT of folks wouldn't have the guts to do that. You've made friends along the way, you've survived, you've learned about you and your machine. I hope that you can condense your thoughts and experiences down to a book. "Meadow of my dreams: Diana fulfills a yearning".

I'd buy the book.
Wow, I've been logging the number of times I've cried on this trip, and this is #4. Bill, you are so sweet. Yep, I've been thinking about writing a book about this trip, and the people, and the soul-searching, self-discovery aspects of the trip. How interesting that you mentioned the concept of building character because I've really been pondering that lately.

Remember: this picture's what it's all about....
Awwww, that's one of my favorite pictures! You really captured something the day you took that. :)

Thanks for the pep talk you guys. I don't feel quite as alone and discouraged now. :)

Back