Progress report on the grass-strip tour

Sounds good. :) If I feel better tomorrow (that's the plan) and if it is flyable weather (that's the plan), I will land at Jersey Shore sometime tomorrow. I don't mind hanging out at airports for hours. That's one of the reasons why I'm going on this trip. :) BTW, is there a bathroom at Jersey Shore?

Not that I am aware of! :eek: I'll try not to leave you there too long. When you make it in (if I have the car) I'll run over and get you and have you drop me back off at work.

Missa

Chip, I sent you an e-mail yesterday to give you a heads-up that I might be in the area... And then found it still sitting in my outbox this afternoon.

iMac? :D :D

Sorry I missed you. We went to KC for a couple of days anyway, so I wasn't home to not get your email.

Not that I am aware of! :eek: I'll try not to leave you there too long. When you make it in (if I have the car) I'll run over and get you and have you drop me back off at work.
The latest change in plans:

The weather is yucky here and also in the direction I'm going and one more day of being grounded here at the hotel would be the smart way to go for health reasons. Sooooooooooo, Missa, I will fly outta here tomorrow morning and play around in Pennsylvania, ending up at Jersey Shore. I'm still trying to find out what is going on at Freeport (P37). They haven't called back yet. Someone mentioned they might be mining on one of the grass runways...something about explosions. :eek: Anyway, Lock Haven called back and said they would have a hangar if needed. I'll stop there sometime tomorrow anyway. Thank you for being so patient Missa. :yes:

Gil, I just got an email from John in New York with more instructions about landing at his place. I'll forward those to you shortly. :)

The weather is yucky here and also in the direction I'm going and one more day of being grounded here at the hotel would be the smart way to go for health reasons. Sooooooooooo, Missa, I will fly outta here tomorrow morning and play around in Pennsylvania, ending up at Jersey Shore. I'm still trying to find out what is going on at Freeport (P37). They haven't called back yet. Someone mentioned they might be mining on one of the grass runways...something about explosions. :eek: Anyway, Lock Haven called back and said they would have a hangar if needed. I'll stop there sometime tomorrow anyway. Thank you for being so patient Missa. :yes:

Gil, I just got an email from John in New York with more instructions about landing at his place. I'll forward those to you shortly. :)

No problem! Last night when you told me you would try today I really didn't think you would make it because the stormes we were expecting today were comming from the same direction as you are. Unfornatly I can't get you hanger space in Jersy Shore till Monday as Eric is out of town. :( However Friday and the weekend are suppose to be much nicer days. I'm really looking forward to meeting you!

Missa

Hehe... No. ;) Port blocking. One of my e-mail accounts will send OK at home, the others work through the cell on the road. Guess which one that particular message decided to use. :rolleyes:

I hate port blocking. :mad:

Sorry I missed you. We went to KC for a couple of days anyway, so I wasn't home to not get your email.

Heh... Oh well. Next time.

I'm still trying to find out what is going on at Freeport (P37). They haven't called back yet. Someone mentioned they might be mining on one of the grass runways...something about explosions. :eek:
Don't mind me, I'm talkng to myself :D Well, the gentleman called back and said the airport is open and the other runway is good to go. They are stripping (mining?) the other grass runway. I mentioned writing an ariticle and he said I could fill a book about the people I will probably meet when I land there. Yippee! My kinda airport. :goofy:

Oh, oh, OH! The nice man just called me back to remind me about the President's TFR there tomorrow. He didn't want me to get into trouble. How nice is that! Wow, I HAVE to land at that grass strip now! After the TFR is gone, of course. :)

The weather is yucky here and also in the direction I'm going and one more day of being grounded here at the hotel would be the smart way to go for health reasons....

Good choice, Diana, good choice. Another day of bed rest will serve you very well, and a healthy Diana means a happy all-of-the-rest-of-us.

Uh so does this mean your not getting to Van Sant?
I'm still going. :) Just not sure when yet. The Citabria gang is working on organizing a grass strip tour for me, don't know if it will be Saturday or Sunday. How far away from Vansant are you?

Good choice, Diana, good choice. Another day of bed rest will serve you very well, and a healthy Diana means a happy all-of-the-rest-of-us.
Awwww Spike. :blowingkisses: I'm getting very impatient and need to go fly. :yes:

Uh so does this mean your not getting to Van Sant?
Here's the latest set of plans. :D

The Citabria guys will either include it in their tour on Saturday or Sunday, or I will catch it on the way back down from New York on maybe Tuesday? :dunno:

Tomorrow's planned route: VTA --> 4G1 --> P15 --> P37 --> LHV--> P96

If tomorrow goes like the rest of the trip so far...who knows. :dunno: :D

The Citabria guys will either include it in their tour on Saturday or Sunday, or I will catch it on the way back down from New York on maybe Tuesday? :dunno:
Please post here or by cell when it's going to happen. I want to meet you there.

Tomorrow's planned route: VTA --> 4G1 --> P15 --> P37 --> LHV--> P96
Great! The storms have moved east, most of the level 2 & 3 precipitation is now over the southern half of Vermont from the NY to the New Hampshire border moving eastward. You're now about 48-72 hrs behind that system. There's another cold front approaching from the northwest about 36 hours from us.

Watch out for the presidential TFR's over PIT and LBE, halfway on your route.

Last edited:
Please post here or by cell when it's going to happen. I want to meet you there.

Here is a very tentative plan so far. This is from Bill Cloughley, who you met at Gaston's last yere. He has the yellow Citabria.

"I'm thinking meet at Grimes 9AM on Saturday, head east to
Vansant, then sw to Morgantown (O03), nw to Keller Brothers (08N),
sw to Bermudian Valley (07N). I would have to break off there
unfortunately, but you could follow the Susquehanna River north to a
neat grass strip in the middle of the river, Sunbury (71N) which is
roughly on the way back to Jersey Shore."

I'll keep you posted as I hear more. Probably won't have internet access all day. I'm trying to talk Missa into joining us tomorrow.

I will tentatively fly to John's airstrip in New York on Monday (maybe Sunday afternoon). John and I may do some local flying there. I hope to fly up to Hampton Monday or Tuesday sometime before dropping back down as I head out to VA.

John is a CFI and teaches in his plane...he also gives float plane instruction.

Watch out for the presidential TFR's over PIT and LBE, halfway on your route.
Thanks! That nice man at Freeport called me back to remind me of those TFR's. Wasn't that nice! Well, I'll head north of them and play around up there before coming back down.

I'll keep you posted Gil! Hope to get to see you soon.:yes:

Last edited:
I'll keep you posted as I hear more. Probably won't have internet access all day. I'm trying to talk Missa into joining us tomorrow.

Man are you trying to wrench my arm hard... I really want to work on my kitchen!!!!!! But it's been so long since I've played in a Citabra... I'm so torn.

Man are you trying to wrench my arm hard... I really want to work on my kitchen!!!!!! But it's been so long since I've played in a Citabra... I'm so torn.

Let's see, Diana comes by to visit in a Citabria once every...decade, maybe? Your kitchen will be there tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day, and the next day........

Go have fun :yes:

Speaking for everybody on the board...there is no decision. You have to go and you have to take a camera. :D

Ok and what shall I do with Shane??? He's driving up from Harrisburg to spend the weekend with me. Should I just leave him on his own while I go play???

Edit: It would be so much easier if he was a pilot 'cause then he could just follow us... the best solution I can think of is I follow with him in an Archer... but then it wouldn't be as cool as flying in the Citabra.

Ok and what shall I do with Shane??? He's driving up from Harrisburg to spend the weekend with me. Should I just leave him on his own while I go play???

Yep. :D

Won't one of the other pilots have a seat for him?

Won't one of the other pilots have a seat for him?

Don't know, haven't asked yet... but then if I remember my weight and balance for citabra's correctly whomever had the extra seat has got to be a small pilot and not have full tanks. He's over 6 ft and 250lbs.

Don't know, haven't asked yet... but then if I remember my weight and balance for citabra's correctly whomever had the extra seat has got to be a small pilot and not have full tanks. He's over 6 ft and 250lbs.

That would be Diana :D

That would be Diana :D

That was suppose to be my seat! but if there is anouther pilot that could take me... I'd be ok with that. I'd love to show Shane what true flying is... right now I've just taken him out in a Archer and a hawk. But low'n'slow in a Citabra with the window open is really what flying is all about.

Missa

Here is a very tentative plan so far. This is from Bill Cloughley, who you met at Gaston's last yere. He has the yellow Citabria.

"I'm thinking meet at Grimes 9AM on Saturday, head east to
Vansant, then sw to Morgantown (O03), nw to Keller Brothers (08N),
sw to Bermudian Valley (07N). I would have to break off there
unfortunately, but you could follow the Susquehanna River north to a
neat grass strip in the middle of the river, Sunbury (71N) which is
roughly on the way back to Jersey Shore."

The Mid-Atlantic Citabria drivers -- aka Trunk Monkeys -- are a GO for tomorrow (Saturday) at 9AM at Grimes. We're looking forward to taking Diana on what we call an All Grass All Day tour. Should be a lot of fun. SE Pennsylvania is very scenic this time of year and it's always fun to get a lot of taildragger together in the air. ... Bill

... it's always fun to get a lot of taildragger together in the air. ... Bill
Hey Bill, does that mean my nosedragger and I are out? :no:

I'll meet you guys at Van Sant at 10:00 AM. That'll give your low and slow ships time to get there... :D

You can then send me off and go on your merry way... :redface:

Gil

I'll meet you guys at Van Sant at 10:00 AM. That'll give your low and slow ships time to get there... :D

Gil

Hi Gil, if you cover the nosegear up with paper wrap or something you'll be OK. ;)

... Bill

Hi Gil, if you cover the nosegear up with paper wrap or something you'll be OK. ;)

... Bill

Maybe he can go to the Home Depot to buy a caster and glue it to his tail... :D

Attachments

• caster.jpg
    caster.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 9
...if you cover the nosegear up with paper wrap or something you'll be OK...

...Maybe he can go to the Home Depot to buy a caster and glue it to his tail...

Do any of you have the 337 for that or would a field approval do? :D

Diana safely on the grass in PA.

Attachments

• DSC00866.JPG
    DSC00866.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 45

Gil
Hey Gil, I hope you're going with us for the whole tour! :yes:

Diana safely on the grass in PA.
It was a fun day of flying around PA...what a beautiful state!

I didn't realize that the airport at Greenville (4G1) is the home of the PilotMart store.

While I was there I had an MRE for lunch....well a few bites of one, that is. When I got up to get better cell coverage, I got back to find the airport dog eating my MRE. :(

But, the good thing was, I called Joe Areeda and he double checked the TFR info for me on his computer to confirm that it was no longer in affect at my next destination. Thanks Joe! :)

I'm leaving to the airport now. If there's any change in plans or itinerary, please advise! :D
"Cell me" :p

Re: Diana'a Adventure

Well, the grass strip tour evidently was a huge success, I did recultantly declined to go... and now I am happy I did. As everyone broke off south from the final airport. Diana only made it 10 miles north to Farmers pride airport before she got into weather that was not on the morning weather report. After looking into the amended TAFs, the storms will not pass untill 8pm and she is not intrested in flying in unknown hilly terrain at night. So the guys at the airport put that 'cute little bug of an airplane' into a hanger, and loaned her a van since the airport couch smelled to funny to sleep on. :eek: She is currently off in search of a hotel and a toothbrush since she unloaded all her stuff into my car trunk this morning to lighten up the Citabra a bit for the 'day' trip.

She wanted me to let everyone know where she was, that the Citabra is in a hanger and she's ok. She probally will not be online tonight... since I have her computer. :rolleyes:

Missa

I am sorry to hear that Diana got grounded by weather. :( The Trunk Monkeys Tour was indeed a success. We had a lot of fun. :yes: This is part of the group at the Keller Brothers Airport just before we parted our ways. Thanks for the update Missa.

Attachments

• Trunk_Monkies_Keller_Bros.JPG
    Trunk_Monkies_Keller_Bros.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 55
Happy Mother's Day Diana and other POA moms! :cheerswine:

Attachments

• P1010180.JPG
    P1010180.JPG
    400.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Diana_Downwind_Vansant.jpg
    Diana_Downwind_Vansant.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 28
  • P1010202.JPG
    P1010202.JPG
    417.6 KB · Views: 34
  • P1010203.JPG
    P1010203.JPG
    412.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Hey Gil! Thanks for posting the photos!

It was a fantastic day of flying with you and with all the Citabria guys! I can't believe how fast those storms blew in right after I took off from Keller Brothers! A wonderful man put the Citabria in his hangar at Farmer's Pride Airport right before storms hit and another nice man gave me a ride to a hotel about five miles away. There are great people everywhere I go!

Unfortunately, I left everyone's phone numbers at Missa's before I took off yesterday morning (assuming I would return there yesterday afternoon) and didn't have your number with me Gil.

I'm at the FBO at Lock Haven/Piper and am on my way to a private strip in New York. I think I'm sleeping in a barn tonight. Probably won't have internet access for a day or two.

Thanks again for posting the pictures Gil! :)

Back