Proficient pilots, Family and Work

dogman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
dogman
It seems like at times I do not fly enough to stay completely sharp. I continue to read and study and arm chair fly but it seems there is nothing like flying the plane.

Occasionally there will be a week or two that I only get an hour or so in the pattern. I am self employed but unfortunately work out side and when the weather is good for flying that is when I need to work. I do at times only fly at night but there is the family that has to come first many of those nights.
I realize that we would all like to fly all the time but that is not going to happen for most. I have flown around a 100hrs in the last year but when those busy weeks go by that I do not get as much time in the plane as I should, I can sure feel the rust. I may be wrong but it seems that XC flying does not seem to keep me sharp as far as Stick and rudder skills. I am primarily talking about Pattern skills,Emergency, stalls slow flight ect.

I am just wondering if any of you have devised any unique ways of keeping the rust off. Also what you feel is the minimum time flying it takes for you to stay sharp. I realize this is probably different for everyone.

Thanks Dogman

I am in the same boat - My advice: Just make the time. It is way too easy to say "I'm tired, too much work to go fly." As Nike says - Just Do It.

At 100 hrs - you are much better than most.

I look at it as stress relief, fun and part of the "job" I must do to keep the family safe...

S.

dogman said:
It seems like at times I do not fly enough to stay completely sharp. I continue to read and study and arm chair fly but it seems there is nothing like flying the plane.

Occasionally there will be a week or two that I only get an hour or so in the pattern. I am self employed but unfortunately work out side and when the weather is good for flying that is when I need to work. I do at times only fly at night but there is the family that has to come first many of those nights.
I realize that we would all like to fly all the time but that is not going to happen for most. I have flown around a 100hrs in the last year but when those busy weeks go by that I do not get as much time in the plane as I should, I can sure feel the rust. I may be wrong but it seems that XC flying does not seem to keep me sharp as far as Stick and rudder skills. I am primarily talking about Pattern skills,Emergency, stalls slow flight ect.

I am just wondering if any of you have devised any unique ways of keeping the rust off. Also what you feel is the minimum time flying it takes for you to stay sharp. I realize this is probably different for everyone.

Thanks Dogman

It does get easier to come back from a pause as you gain more experience. Owning and flying the same plane helps too, but either way I think you are correct that it's important to do some proficiency flying now and then. In addition to airwork (slow flight, steep turns etc) I find it quite "refreshing" to fly to 4-5 airports in close proximity if you can find them in your area. And you can leverage your flight costs by sharing the trip with another pilot, switchng seats at each airport and making the rounds twice.

lancefisher said:
It does get easier to come back from a pause as you gain more experience. Owning and flying the same plane helps too, but either way I think you are correct that it's important to do some proficiency flying now and then. In addition to airwork (slow flight, steep turns etc) I find it quite "refreshing" to fly to 4-5 airports in close proximity if you can find them in your area. And you can leverage your flight costs by sharing the trip with another pilot, switchng seats at each airport and making the rounds twice.

More experience = Easier . . . . Absolutely! You didn't mention how many hours you have but I found that after 300 hours and 3 years things did start becoming second nature. Several other factors could have contributed to that as well. I started my instrument training around that time and I also purchased my own plane around that time. I agree that if you fly the same plane over and over you will become a better pilot in THAT plane. One other thing that may have helped was that I moved to towered airport. Now I get the "Cleared for departure, maintain 3000 expect 5000 in ten minutes, fly heading 130 for 4 miles before right turn on course". This takes a little more skill than taking off at a non-towered airport and just turn outbound as you desire. I find that slow flight, right up to the point of stalling, helps me the most. My landings are much better right afterwards. 100 hours a year is really not that bad. I know many pilots that only fly 25-40 hours per year. Now THAT'S rusty!

As far as balancing free time with family time . . . . take the family with you. Nothing like a $100 hamburger hop. I've got it pretty good because my wife works every other weekend. My two boys (10 & 14) and I will usually fly off some place or another just for a honeybun.

Back