Proficiency Check

Flyboi

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Flyboi
Hi
Im planing on getting a b737 type rating soon.My question is if i get 1 do i have to do a pc every year or the BFR can replace the PC.
Thanks

What are you going to do after you get the type? It depends what kind of flying you're going to do. A 61.56 BFR can't replace a type specific proficiency check if you are seeking PIC privileges in that type.

I will fly as F.O on 121 ops.
So since the B.F.R can't replace the pc, i will need to do a yearly pc on type?
Thanks for your answer Jason

Hi
Im planing on getting a b737 type rating soon.My question is if i get 1 do i have to do a pc every year or the BFR can replace the PC.
Thanks
You've got it backwards -- the annual 61.58 PIC proficiency check in the B737 replaces the flight review, not the other way around. See 61.56(d).

I will fly as F.O on 121 ops.
So since the B.F.R can't replace the pc, i will need to do a yearly pc on type?
Thanks for your answer Jason
If you'll be flying as an FO under 121, 121.433(c)(1)(i) requires you to undergo a proficiency check every 12 months. That pilot proficiency check constitutes a valid substitution for a flight review per 61.56(d).

Hi
Thanks

You will need a PC every 24 months for SIC
.. every year you will likely alternate between PT and PC..after upgrade you will alternate PT/PC every six months.

PT is Proficiency Training in a simulator, its actually more than a PC but its sort of "non-jeopardy" meaning you cant technically fail it

§ 121.441
Proficiency checks.
(a) No certificate holder may use any person nor may any person serve as a required pilot flight crewmember unless that person has satisfactorily completed either a proficiency check, or an approved simulator course of training under § 121.409, as follows:
(1) For a pilot in command, a proficiency check within the preceding 12 calendar months and, in addition, within the preceding 6 calendar months, either a proficiency check or the simulator training.
(2) For all other pilots—
(i) Within the preceding 24 calendar months either a proficiency check or the line-oriented simulator training course under § 121.409; and
(ii) Within the preceding 12 calendar months, either a proficiency check or any simulator training course under § 121.409.

Last edited:
It depends also on your airline if FO's get a PC every 12 or 24 months. Mine gives FO's PC's every 12 per our approved training manual.

.. every year you will likely alternate between PT and PC..after upgrade you will alternate PT/PC every six months.

PT is Proficiency Training in a simulator, its actually more than a PC but its sort of "non-jeopardy" meaning you cant technically fail it

§ 121.441
Proficiency checks.
(a) No certificate holder may use any person nor may any person serve as a required pilot flight crewmember unless that person has satisfactorily completed either a proficiency check, or an approved simulator course of training under § 121.409, as follows:
(1) For a pilot in command, a proficiency check within the preceding 12 calendar months and, in addition, within the preceding 6 calendar months, either a proficiency check or the simulator training.
(i) Within the preceding 24 calendar months either a proficiency check or the line-oriented simulator training course under § 121.409; and
(ii) Within the preceding 12 calendar months, either a proficiency check or any simulator training course under § 121.409.

It depends also on your airline if FO's get a PC every 12 or 24 months. Mine gives FO's PC's every 12 per our approved training manual.

We do AQP (Advanced Qualification Program) now so we don't even do "PC's ' anymore...we just to computer modules and specific sim training (non-jeopardy) every nine months. But you must qualify initially with what amounts to a PC.....many airlines are switching over to this

Whether it's a PC or a PT, it's a pilot proficiency check for the purpose of 61.56(d) and fills the FR square.

Very true. My airline's motto is if it worked on a DC-6, it's good enough for us now. We don't believe in non-jeopardy anyway. Every training event could be your last.

We do AQP (Advanced Qualification Program) now so we don't even do "PC's ' anymore...we just to computer modules and specific sim training (non-jeopardy) every nine months. But you must qualify initially with what amounts to a PC.....many airlines are switching over to this

I will have to do a pc every year with my airline....
Do i still need to do the pc for my FAA license?
Im flying using a validation

The airline training program state that i will do a loft then a PC every year
Do i still need to do another pc check for my faa license since im flying using a validation or the airline pc will cover my faa pc

§ 121.441
Proficiency checks.

The airline training program state that i will do a loft then a PC every year
Do i still need to do another pc check for my faa license since im flying using a validation or the airline pc will cover my faa pc

Are you taking this PC under a JAA program or FAA ?

Sounds like Flyboi holds an FAA certificate based on a foreign pilot certificate. But regardless of that, if Flyboi is flying for an FAA-certified Part 121 carrier, that carrier's pilot checks will fill the 61.56 flight review requirement. If the carrier is certified by another country, I don't know whether it does or not -- 61.56(d) does not explicitly say one way or the other; you'll have to ask the FAA on that one.

No. And I don't really understand what your last comment means.

A "validation" is where you are flying under your home country's license and the host country "validates" your license as authentic and allows one the same operating privilege as a local. Validations vary from country to country.

Back