Problem with depth perception

Waggle James

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
wagglejames
Hello everybody,

So i'll try to describe my situation, I used the TNO test and couldn't see any thing :/ However, when i try the test on this page (http://www.mediacollege.com/3d/depth-perception/test.html) that asks to use the thumb and look to a green point and was able to see both thumbs and both dots. I can also watch 3D movies without any problem. I'm 26 years old now and want to be able to see TNO.

My questions is: Do i have a binocular vision or not? if so can i recover from depth perception problem knowing that i've never had distance measuring problem or any kind of apparent problems.

I have a myopie in my right eye (10/10 on the left, 8/10 on the right) with some astigmatism. I started wearing glasses just recently, would this help to recover?
I have a correction only on my right eye (-0.5 moypia, -0.75 astig 10 degree), it seems like a not bad refraction erreur doesn't it?

Thanks.

Hello everybody,

So i'll try to describe my situation, I used the TNO test and couldn't see any thing :/ However, when i try the test on this page (http://www.mediacollege.com/3d/depth-perception/test.html) that asks to use the thumb and look to a green point and was able to see both thumbs and both dots. I can also watch 3D movies without any problem. I'm 26 years old now and want to be able to see TNO.

My questions is: Do i have a binocular vision or not? if so can i recover from depth perception problem knowing that i've never had distance measuring problem or any kind of apparent problems.

I have a myopie in my right eye (10/10 on the left, 8/10 on the right) with some astigmatism. I started wearing glasses just recently, would this help to recover?
I have a correction only on my right eye (-0.5 moypia, -0.75 astig 10 degree), it seems like a not bad refraction erreur doesn't it?

Thanks.

I'm not any kind of doctor. I have been told, however, that the brain is primarily responsible for depth perception.

A couple of years ago, I was diagnosed with a [most-likely] congenital misalignment of the eyes. I never knew I had it. I'd passed my military flight physicals with no problems at all, never needed glasses until middle age, and had 20/10 distance vision. But my brain had been correcting for the misalignment all those years, and by middle age, the brain was getting tired of it, causing occasional bouts of double-vision.

After an MRI, numerous blood tests, and evaluations by about half a dozen different doctors, it was determined that all I needed was new glasses with a bit of prism to correct for the misalignment and correction for some previously-undiagnosed astigmatism. So he sent me to the optometrist for a new prescription.

When I tried the new glasses on, I had double vision for a minute or two, especially when shifting my focus from near to far or vice-versa. That cleared up after a few minutes of walking up and down the hallways of the hospital. What I was unprepared for, however, was the stunning improvement in depth perception I experienced as soon as I went outside. I'd never realized how flat my world had been.

When I mentioned it to the neuro-opthamologist a year later at my annual eye exam, he said that prior to getting the new glasses, my brain had probably been so busy correcting for the misalignment that it de-emphasized depth perception in favor of avoiding diplopia. With the lenses now correcting for the misalignment, my brain could devote more attention to interpreting the depth perception.

The other problem I had with the new glasses was driving at night. It's hard to describe, but things just didn't look right -- like they weren't quite where they appeared to be. Among other problems, my depth perception at night with the new glasses was worse than it had been before. That was a brain thing, too. My brain had to re-learn how to interpret night stimuli. I finally wound up hiring my neighbor's college-aged kid as a "safety driver" while I practiced driving in various night-time lighting situations. It took about an hour before it just "clicked" and my night vision was back where it should be.

I suggest that you go back to your eye doctor and explain the situation. Optometrists have all sorts of neat gadgets that they can use to figure this sort of thing out.

Rich

Binocular vision is close, but not the same as stereopsis. Like Rich stated, this is a "brain" function as well as an ocular function. One can have perfect visual acuity with no stereopsis. The good news is stereopsis is of little benefit beyond 3 ft, where ones visual "experiences" are more important, which is why when Rich got adjusted to the new glasses, his "depth perception" became much better. It is also why "one eyed" truck drivers and pilots are just as safe, once they have adapted to their condition.

That was one confusing test.

As a grown man, who drives and I'd imagine does other stuff too, have you even noticed you had this problem before you visited that website?

The first part worked fine, some of the other tests I didn't really get what they were asking.

Ether way, go see a AME for a consultation, as in DO NOT fill out any MedExpress info, call them up and ask for a consult, see what they say. Don't tell them about any of this nonsense, just ask for a mock flight physical for a school paper, or whatever.

Can't answer the question at all, but I had some interesting depth perception problems the first couple of weeks I wore progressives. I only missed sitting in my desk chair about four times before I realized I was used to it being a certain distance from my desk and my eyes were lying about that distance through the new spectacles.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back