Problem with C152

Doesn't anyone else think it might be a sticking valve?

The stuck valves I've experienced resulted in severe vibration as well as a drop off in rpm. If the OP experienced just a smooth rollback of rpm without any vibration, I'd say a stuck valve would be unlikely.

I would second the notion that you should NOT use 'a little carb heat'. It's either full on or off completely. By adding 'a little bit of carb heat' (depending on OAT AND HUMIDITY) you may in fact be creating the conditions perfect for ice build up.

I would second the notion that you should NOT use 'a little carb heat'. It's either full on or off completely. By adding 'a little bit of carb heat' (depending on OAT AND HUMIDITY) you may in fact be creating the conditions perfect for ice build up.

Many thousands of pilots that use a carb heat gauge will disagree with you.

They add just enough heat to keep the needle out of the red zone.

Many thousands of pilots that use a carb heat gauge will disagree with you.

They add just enough heat to keep the needle out of the red zone.

That presupposes you have a carb temp gauge to know where the red zone is. Carb temp gauge was not a standard instrument in a 150/152.

That presupposes you have a carb temp gauge to know where the red zone is. Carb temp gauge was not a standard instrument in a 150/152.
True,, but the smart owners of a 150/0-200 will have one installed, they will save you when you least expect it. The 152/0235 not so critical.

True,, but the smart owners of a 150/0-200 will have one installed, they will save you when you least expect it. The 152/0235 not so critical.

I installed one in my 150 and it is helpful on those warm days where you wouldn't expect carb ice because the ambient temperature is so warm. It is less useful in the winter when you're pretty much in the caution area all the time even though the relative humidity is so low that carb ice is unlikely. If the gauge is telling me the temp is outside the caution range, I don't use carb heat at all even though the POH might say to pull carb heat in the before landing checklist all the time.

Back