Problem with a game port on WinXP

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
I can't get the game port to work on my home desktop computer. I need this to run OnTop properly. I think I've been using the USB connection for the joystick but need to connect via the game port in order for the rudder pedals to work.

When I open the game device menu in control panel, there are no controllers present and if I try to add the one I have (Logitech Wingman Extreme) I get an error message that says "Your gameport or gameport drivers are not properly configured. Please consult the Device Manager".

Looking in the Device Manager under "Sound, video and game controllers" there are no game controllers. I can't find anything in the BIOS to enable/disable them and XP is unable to find any uninstalled hardware. What do I do now?

The computer uses a Soyo SY-K7V Dragon Plus motherboard (AMD Athalon) which contains the game port. I can't find anything in the motherboard manual about enabling or installing the gameport either.

Lance, do you have the driver disk?

You may need to enable it in BIOS... or look on the driver disk for a driver.

I usually end up on the mfr's web site looking for updated drivers.

bill

Integrated ports on a motherboard are typically controlled in the BIOS. Not having used a Soyo for a few years, I can't remember if the default is on or off.

Brian Austin said:
Integrated ports on a motherboard are typically controlled in the BIOS. Not having used a Soyo for a few years, I can't remember if the default is on or off.

I can't imagine why the default would be off, but more importantly I can't find any way to enable it either. I looked in every sub menu in the BIOS config utility.

lancefisher said:
I can't imagine why the default would be off, but more importantly I can't find any way to enable it either. I looked in every sub menu in the BIOS config utility.
Is the sound on? Gameport/MIDI port is controlled by the same chip.

Lance,

It's usually tied in with the audio card in some fashion.

bill

Back