Problem logging in.

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Jean just sent me this in an email about a problem she is having logging in. Since she can't post her problem here because it won't let her, I'm posting it for her.

"For some reason I can't seem to log in to the forum any more - something has gone weird with it. It says that I am still logged in but when I try to post it tells me to log in which I try to do and It clicks over and says thank you for logging in, Jeanie but then it just blinks...........Probably because somewhere it notes that I am considered still "online". Is there someone on the forum that I can contact to get help with this problem that you know about? Some way of asking for help that is without having had to log in?"

Any suggestions for Jean?

Thanks.

Diana, what's Jean's screen name? Not her password, just her screen name.

Diana,

I don't see a problem with her settings.

Let's have her try this.

1) If it says she's logged in, have her log out, close her browser, and then log in again.

2) What browser is she using? Can she try another browser?

3) If nothing else works, she may need to delete her cookies for the PoA site. That's easy to do.

She's got 5 posts. At 5 posts, the system automagically changes her status to "verified user", which allows her to post pictures and some other stuff (it's an anti-spam measure). Something MAY have gone wrong with that, but everything LOOKS normal in the system settings.

Let's try the log out/log in thing and another browser (like Firefox) if she can. Post here if it doesn't work.

I suspect she may have an antiquated cookie with the wrong hostname. If this is the case the server will send a HTTP 301 (Moved Permanently) header back to the browser. The browser should then follow that header and a new cookie should be issued when she logs in.

Something in the above process must not be working right for her. What browser is she using? For the most part, this isn't worth fighting too much, if she clears her cookies it should fix it. If not--let us know.

So, do the following,
1) Clear cookies
2) Make sure she is going to http://www.pilotsofamerica.com
(MAKE SURE TO USE THE www)

If the above does not work:
1) Ask her which browser she is using (get the version if possible)

Otherwise...just tell her to call: 763-229-9341 (that is my cell phone number) and I will help her out. I probably won't be available until 9 PM CST tonight.

Last edited:
Hi Ya'll,

Well, I read all of the above suggestions and deleted the cookies (all of them because I didn't know how to do only the ones for this site which is no biggy I suppose) and it has let me log in again. So, maybe it's all OK now.
FYI, I looked for the "log out" button before but it wasn't displayed so I didn't have that option. I am using windows internet explorer as my browser.
OK. Looks like it's working now -
THANKS!

Well, I read all of the above suggestions and deleted the cookies (all of them because I didn't know how to do only the ones for this site which is no biggy I suppose) and it has let me log in again. So, maybe it's all OK now.
FYI, I looked for the "log out" button before but it wasn't displayed so I didn't have that option. I am using windows internet explorer as my browser.
OK. Looks like it's working now -
THANKS!
Cool! :yes: These guys are great. :)

Back