Private Pilot Ground School Materials

61.105: A person who is applying for a private pilot certificate must receive and log ground training from an authorized instructor...

Bob Gardner

Bob, you paraphrased the reg, the WHOLE paragraph says....
a) General. A person who is applying for a private pilot certificate must receive and log ground training from an authorized instructor or complete a home-study course on the aeronautical knowledge areas of paragraph (b) of this section that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought.

I'm sitting in on a 14-week ground course, and the first meeting was tonight. They said that they would provide their own test (not comprised of FAA questions) on which the student must get 80% before they'll sign them off to take the knowledge exam. And then they had to go and ruin it by saying that if you can demonstrate a passing grade on a few of the Internet tests, a la privatepilotexam.com or Sportys they will sign you off too. They also explicitly said that they are not teaching to the test. So far, they seem to be doing pretty well, and they're going to be using Jeppesen.

I was in an FBO yesterday and bought the newest iteration of Jeppeson's Private Pilot book to loan out to interested people that are asking the right questions or actually perusing it already. I've done the loaning thing for many years with my original Jepp PP book including all the notes in the margins, often resulting in the new reader ordering the book for their library but always with many thanks for a very interesting and informative read.

This new Jepp book looks to be about twice as much material as the previous edition.

Back