Private Pilot Finish Up and Financing a Low Price Aircraft Questions

gitmo234

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
gitmo234
Hello everyone,

I'm about six total hours away from the 40 hour requirement for my private pilot certificate and about an additional 4 hours away from various other requirements (need some more solo time, etc).

I live in the PA/MD area and the local FBO's are often too book for me to take some time off work and knock it out in a block of time or when that opportunity does come up, the weather is bad.

So I'm considering taking some vacation time and heading somewhere to just finish up the last bit and take my check ride in a day or three. Any recommendations?

Additionally, the end goal is for me to have an aircraft that I can take myself and the family down to the beach with...ocean city MD, myrtle beach, SC, etc.

Ideally, I'd want a cherokee six, so I can hold 4 or 5 passengers and actually have some luggage, but for now im looking at a 172 or warrior. Starting small with the intent to eventually upgrade. The shorter runs to the beach can be done in two trips and still save time. Its more about doing it that way anyway. The fact that it saves time in the car is just a bonus.

One thing I've noticed though is that a lot of finance companies don't finance lower priced aircraft. My plan was to buy an aircraft and charge myself $20 an hour to cover maintenance and inspection costs. Just throw it into a savings account.

Anyone have any recommendation on who to talk to for lower cost aircraft financing? I have a reasonable credit score and excellent household income, but nobody seems to want to take on anything under $90k.

Your right in the middle of a good nexus of long time pilots and PoA members who would be very willing to aid you in your questions.

Ron Levy is a very capable instructor who could not only help with the wrap up of the primary, but also get you well set with good habits that will help with instrument training. He is over in Salsbury, MD.

As far as aircraft selection goes, this is a very frequent topic. The summation is: look hard at what 90% of your flying is going to be (frequently just you or you +1) and purchase for that. In this, the 172, PA28's, Grumman Cheetah and Tigers, and other 180hp aircraft will fit the bill very well. Filling up a Cherokee 6 with people and bags isn't going to happen that often.

Also, before dropping money on sole ownership, look around for ownership clubs and groups. Many are well known amongst the local aviation community and advertise their existence, but there are many that are pretty quiet about their existence and don't advertise. Both can be a great opportunity to get into solid aircraft and better aircraft than you could on your own. Other benefits include shared costs (small $ and large $ problems are fixed, and either dues money pays for it, or your split the costs) and ability to tap into a group of experienced pilots when you have questions or need help in something.

Welcome to PoA! Keep asking questions, looking around for local resources, and we're always glad to help.

Good advice! Thanks!

If I had a cherokee six, I would indeed fill it up approximately twice per year (in the summer). If I had one of the smaller aircraft it would be filled every few weekends on trips to drop off family at various golf course towns OR just going down to the beach. Also, my wife has already demanded that she gets birthday dinners somewhere requiring a flight every year.

I havent been able to locate any local flying clubs. Probably havent looked hard enough though.

I havent been able to locate any local flying clubs. Probably havent looked hard enough though.

Keep looking. Visit many airports and ask around. And try to go to the weekend breakfast and lunch haunts that pilots fly into. Just being friendly and saying to the old hands, "I'm sorta new to this, but I'd like to ask a question...." can start a good conversation, make a friend or two, and be the start of a good network.

When I was looking for co-ownership groups, I wasn't finding many who were telling everyone they were open to new pilots. But when I started meeting other pilots, and asking about who might have an opening, I slowly started getting more names.

So start kicking over trees and shaking some rocks. You'll find some.

PS. Ask the instructors at your school if they have other students who are also close to finishing their training. Those students might be in the same "okay, now what?" position you are. If you get along with them, then the 2 or 3 or 4 of you could form a co-owner group.

I'm actually looking into some partial ownerships now. Found some clubs relatively close (within an hours drive).

Try 0W3 harford county airport. Is it a secret where you live? Excellent instructors at this location and some 172s plus a Citabria 150 hp if your so inclined.

Last edited:
AOPA has a flying club directory somewhere on their website. That is how I found my club. My club doesn't spend money on anything they don't have to (like a website) which keeps the rates very affordable. But it also makes them harder to find for anyone looking to join. A club is a great way to get started though. I have access to 3 aircraft (172's and 182) with the ability to take them overnight or on extended multi-day trips.

Another thing you might consider is a fractional ownership, which is basically a club on a smaller scale. I see them advertised on the bulletin board at the local airport restaurant, and even on Craigslist.

In terms of finishing up, you might try Frederick Flight Center at FDK in Maryland. I'm heading up there for the weekend to do an IR finish-up this weekend with one of their students whose instructor can't be available all day every day for 3-4 days, but the school is letting us block one of their 172's for the weekend. Talk to Chief Instructor Kevin Jackson who arranged this for us.

As for buying a plane, I would suggest that you go with a 180HP rather than 150-160 for the mission you propose -- I think a Warrior or standard 172 will come up a bit short on payload even as an interim plane before you get a Six. Aircraft to look at would be the Grumman Tiger, Piper Archer, Cessna 180HP STC 172 or Cardinal, or Beech Sundowner. Look them all over, fly them if you can, and then choose.

Finally, for a better idea on the operating cost of such a plane, send me an email and I'll send you a paper I wrote on the subject based on 37 years of ownership. Email only, please -- no posts, PMs, phone calls, or smoke signals.

Primarily I've been in a 172.

I think I'm going to see if its possible and book an hour with my instructor and go through my logbook line by line and see what it is exactly that I need, and then get a written plan on how to knock all of it out over 5 (or so) days, including prepping for a check ride.

Then I'll try to find a few days when I can do that on the scheduler.

I've found that flying (without a break) as a student my brain shuts off at 3-4 hours and there's no benefit in continuing flying without a break, so I can book morning and afternoon if possible.

Someone has turned me on to some local partnership potentials and clubs. I'm going to check into them as well.

Back