Private Jet down in Aspen, KASE

N115WF. Initial reports of 1 dead, 2 survivors.

Edit: see the tail was already posted. Pretty interesting approach track on FlightAware. Wonder if there was an emergency on board, or holding for WX?

Heard on another board the airplane was apparently owned or at least being sold by Clay Lacy until about a month ago.

Looks like the registration was just transferred in Dec. Tucson has the bombardier service center so that could play into the story somehow.

I heard that the airplane belonged to Wynn Resorts, at least at one point.

A close business associate of my wife was planning a ski trip with family to Aspen. Sounds like the numbers don't add up as there would be five POB plus crew.
This airplane was apparently purchased by an outfit in Mexico. Flight was supposed to be going down there from ASE.

Wonder if he was carrying load of ice.

I have flown into KASE for many years. You have to be configured early and must plan on a large descent angles. If there was a tailwind it will make the approach even more challenging.

My sources have indicated during the final approach and landing attempt, the pilot had a very aggressive nose down angle to make the runway. The nose wheel hit first causing a bounce, the recovery maneuver was tried but wasnt effective.

Very :sad:

New details on this, check out the infrared camera footage just released by the airport:

http://vimeo.com/84713706

Looks to me like the wind caused a nose strike which caused them to pitch over wildly on their go around. Yikes, definitely feeling bad for those who didn't make it, this must have been a very scary ride.

New details on this, check out the infrared camera footage just released by the airport:

http://vimeo.com/84713706

Looks to me like the wind caused a nose strike which caused them to pitch over wildly on their go around. Yikes, definitely feeling bad for those who didn't make it, this must have been a very scary ride.

Looks to me like he had a bunch of float going on and lowered the nose to drive it onto the runway causing the bounce which by the altitude and distance gained showed exactly how much excess energy he was carrying. I wish I could see how much flap he was carrying.

Wow, that's one hell of a bounce.

Is it my imagination, or does camera #3 show a significant tailwind, from blowing snow?

It's not your imagination 19 knots + gusts, if I recall correctly.

Wow, that's one hell of a bounce.

Is it my imagination, or does camera #3 show a significant tailwind, from blowing snow?

If everyone else was jumping off a cliff, would you? :D

Mostly kidding, I realize from reading the threads that there are other factors that make that the preferred runway even with a tailwind.

Then again, a man's gotta know his limitations and I reckon these guys would go to an alternate if they had it to do over.

The guy right before him.

THERE IS A REASON THERE IS A 10 KT TAILWIND LIMITATION on these things!

RIP to the families , the was pilot negligence excluding some kind of emergency situation that forbid any other action.

Looks to me like he had a bunch of float going on and lowered the nose to drive it onto the runway causing the bounce which by the altitude and distance gained showed exactly how much excess energy he was carrying. I wish I could see how much flap he was carrying.

Yeah, looked like PIO. I almost thought it looked like he bounced once or twice, hit hard, nosewheel broke just before the final big bounce.

Yup. Not sure if that's peer pressure or just a demonstration that it could be done. I've applied that "logic" mountain biking..... the guy in front of me made it, I can make it. But maybe the others were really fortunate or just better!

Perhaps, if they were all landing safely.

Back