Private economical airplane for the tall guys?

ProspectingCFI

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
Well, just as the title says, I'm looking for the best airplanes for those of us who were least affected by gravity. Sure sometimes it's great to be tall, but as far as being a pilot goes, well, it isn't always the greatest. At 6'6" with quite a build (and some weight to lose :) ) options aren't the greatest. Lets say I'm in the GA buying marketplace between $20k - $30k max I need to know what to look for first. I can fly 172's all day, just not comfortably. Plenty of legroom though. In fact I have to scoot the seat up. But I'm looking for something different. Any thoughts?

I'm 6'5' and 250 pounds and my 182 fits me nicely. I do have the fully adjustable seats so I can lower it so it works well. I do think you need to reset your price point a bit.

with my limited knowledge, a 182 sounds like it fits you, but at twice your price point. I'm sure someone will come along, but I can't think of anything in that price range you will like.

Thanks for the input. So lets bump it up to $50k or so. I like the 182 for sure but does anything else come to mind?

A PA28 would work as well. I think a 177 will work.

Just, not a Mooney. I tried to cram into an M20J last weekend. No FN way.

You're a bit shy of 182 money unless you buy some old jump plane with a runout. How does a Pacer/Tri-Pacer fit?You might look for an RV-3 or 4. I know one big guy built an Avid Flyer as a single seat and flew it all over.

A PA28 would work as well. I think a 177 will work.

Just, not a Mooney. I tried to cram into an M20J last weekend. No FN way.

heightwise, a mooney would work. Short people are usually the ones that complain. It's the shoulder width that might feel tight for you.

Kent Shook is 6'5ish and about something like 275-300 and he fits in a Mooney just fine.

Kent's (and your) definition of "just fine" are much different than mine. I'm VERY uncomfortable in a Mooney after 30 minutes. My arm is jammed into my rib cage and my head bounces against the arched transition.

Kent's (and your) definition of "just fine" are much different than mine. I'm VERY uncomfortable in a Mooney after 30 minutes. My arm is jammed into my rib cage and my head bounces against the arched transition.

if you look like your avatar, I can see why. :lol:

A Cardinal 177 should give a little more room than a 172 (plus extra speed, if you go for the B model), without the cost of the 182.

How does a Pacer/Tri-Pacer fit?
I don't think so. I'm 6'3" and had to switch from Lightspeeds to a Halo just so I could straighten my neck. I'm looking forward to shrinking with age.

How about a Musketeer or Sundowner?

Not a Saratoga.
I flew one today, and I was surprised how little legroom there was up front.
And how narrow it was. Crank in lots of left aileron and I would smack my left knee with the yoke.
I'm just 6' tall.

I have a fair amount of hours in a saratoga and am very comfortable. By the way, I'm 6'1" 220.
Not that a saratoga fits within his budget constraints.

I am 6'4" and own a PA-28. I am 240 lbs. I can get out after a 4 hour flight and feel fine. So it fits me very well. My seat is a few notches from being all the way back too. I have plenty of headroom too. Getting in and out was the challenge for a while. Not a big deal anymore.

Depends on where you are tall. If long legs, you need fore-aft room. If long torso, vertical adjustment of the seat and headroom once it's cranked down. Keep trying different planes until you find one that fits.

My boyfriend is 6'5" and about 270. He fits in the 182 no problem. He looked pretty silly in Warriors though.

Fore and aft, up and down. Bout it.

Also, my height is mainly legs not torso but I'm just tall, lol.

If it was up and down then it did.

I am the other way around from you, 6'4" with a 32" inseam. I have to run my seat all the way down just to see out the side window.

I asked for advice when I was plane shopping/looking.....there is no substitute for sitting in a bunch of airplanes....go to airports, air shows, oshkosh or sun n fun....

the advise you get will be perfect for someone else, it just won't be perfect for you.

I really enjoyed the 10 most under priced airplanes articles on plane and pilot and airplane consumer. great place to start.

I asked for advice when I was plane shopping/looking.....there is no substitute for sitting in a bunch of airplanes....go to airports, air shows, oshkosh or sun n fun....

the advise you get will be perfect for someone else, it just won't be perfect for you.

I really enjoyed the 10 most under priced airplanes articles on plane and pilot and airplane consumer. great place to start.

Good advice, also just because a plane is bigger don't expect to fit any better, I don't fit very well in V35 front seats. I don't follow the pricing of them but Grummans might be another to consider, I know the tiger in our hangar is quite roomy.

Also, just because you don't fit in one particular plane doesn't mean you won't fit in another example. Variations in seat upholstery can make a big difference.

Back