Prior SSRI and Benzo Use Questions .

Steve K

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Steve K
Hello all.

I'm looking to get started with training for my PPL and want to get the medical taken care of before I start. I have a past history of taking some medications that are on the "no no" list and wanted to see the best way to proceed. I have no interest in trying to hide anything from an AME or the FAA.

Around 10 years ago during some pretty stressful times I started having some anxiety issues and was prescribed both celexa 10 mg and xanax .25 as needed. In retrospect I probably didn't need either of those because almost all of those anxiety attacks occurred while I had "mono" which wasn't diagnosed until well after the worst had passed.

I continued taking both the celexa daily and xanax as needed ( 1x every so often, rarely daily ) for a while because that's what my doc instructed. Back then I pretty much put blind trust in my doctors whereas now I approach things very differently.

Celexa stop date: Approx August 2008, don't recall start date.

Xanax: Has been sporadic although I've had periods where i've gone over a year without taking any without issue.

From reading previous threads on this it seems I need to get a few things done to have a shot at getting a medical.

1. The prescribing physician to write a letter saying that these issues were transient in response to certain life triggers, medication is no longer necessary, and i'm fine without meds.
2. I need to prove via urine sample that these meds are not in my system. 3. Sounds like I also might need to pay for a full psych eval because the duration of these meds was > 6 months? I don't believe a chart exists that shows any diagnosis for these. Of course I prescription pretty much indicates a diagnosis even if it's not on a chart i'd guess.

Just wanted to see what else i'm missing and might be looking at for getting my medical. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well actually you don't come near to meeting the >6 month requirement. Ten years is pretty much longer than six months.

Need a HIMS psychiatrist evaluation.
Yeah you have a diagnosis. I get Soooooooooooooo tired of guys trying to dodge, saying that. FAA sure isn't buying.

Pull your diagnosis codes, it'll be in there.
Get your records and get to a HIMS certified forensic psychiatrirst.
Get het negative urine on the day of the eval.

It's not insureable and these run up to $1,500 and it takes the psych quite a while to verify externally, what you tell hilm.

Thanks for your response Bruce.

I wasn't on he mess for ten years, but call it 5 and up it's still eons above the six month marker so I doubt that helps me in any way.

If I get a good evaluation from the psych would my chances of an approval be at least decent? I have no issue with the price of the evaluation but would be less inclined to go through the effort and expense if regardless of outcome my chances are poor.

Would I be well served to hire someone to quarterback this for me?

Well I think so, but that's self serving.
That sort of thing is EXACTLY what I do.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back