Prior Proper Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance

Cpt_Kirk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Ted Striker
I made it to NJ, but i did so without my headset.

On another note, im surprised at how well the speaker and hand mic worked. Controllers didnt have any issues hearing or understanding me. Ear plugs made it all that more bearable.

Newark is a dump.

You know that is probably the one control I have never even attempted to use - the hand mic. :lol::lol:

Mines on the desk in the hangar! Hell, I don't even know where is plugs in at!

Same place you plug in your headset mic.

I was solid IMC one trip when my headset mic failed like dead. No problem, picked up the hand mic. That hadn't been used for so long it was unintelligible. Finally pulled out the handheld and got another pilot to relay the problem.

If you have a vintage hand mic, you ought to see if that bad boy works every now and then.

I have had two mic failures. One was probably due to a broken internal wire.

The other occurred at the beginning of a long trip where I pushed the mic into my mouth with a Subway sandwich, then bit down and drowned it in mayonnaise.:yikes:

I never fly alone without a backup headset in the airplane. Flying with someone else, I expect to steal their headset if I need it.

In a friend's plane once, I had to plug my headset in on the right, and reach for the PTT button in the right yoke. It was only a little awkward, except when banking left it became very awkward and twisty.

Last edited:
My Mooney did not have a hand Mike when I bought it. Always fly with two headsets. Thought I had a headset failure once but it was actually the microphone panel jack. Plugged in on the right side and no problem but awkward, so I reached under the panel and felt around for the jack and adjusted the contact tab. Plugged in again and it was all good.

I never knew how well the cockpit speaker worked until I started using it to identify navaids. I can hear the morse code great over the cockpit noise and the muffle of my Bose headset. And it's not beeping directly in my ear:)

I never knew how well the cockpit speaker worked until I started using it to identify navaids. I can hear the morse code great over the cockpit noise and the muffle of my Bose headset. And it's not beeping directly in my ear:)
Identify navaids?? You mean... point them out on a chart? :D

What kind of audio panel do you have that lets you send the Navs to the speaker and not to your headset?

What kind of audio panel do you have that lets you send the Navs to the speaker and not to your headset?
Lots of panels can do that. Example: King KMA-24. It's actually quite a handy feature, also used to listen to the ATIS while keeping it from interfering with ATC calls. Unfortunately, it has been dropped from the newer breed of panels. An evolutionary regression IMO.

GMA340.

However, I'm not sure that I can independently send the morse code to my speaker and ATC to my headphones at the same time, I think both have to go to one or the other.

Last edited:
Lots of panels can do that. Example: King KMA-24. It's actually quite a handy feature, also used to listen to the ATIS while keeping it from interfering with ATC calls. Unfortunately, it has been dropped from the newer breed of panels. An evolutionary regression IMO.

Guess so. Forgot about those. Two output busses and two buttons per source. Haven't seen one in ages. They were always oddballs and not too many rentals had the King stuff. Even our all King stack purchased back then has a PS Engineering which at least around here are a lot more common in the rentals and privately owned stuff.

GMA340.

However, I'm not sure that I can independently send the morse code to my speaker and ATC to my headphones at the same time, I think both have to go to one or the other.

That's usually the norm. One or the other. Ours lets us send everything to both by adding the speaker or deselecting the speaker or headphones, but not choose which sources to send to each independently.

I made it to NJ, but i did so without my headset.

On another note, im surprised at how well the speaker and hand mic worked. Controllers didnt have any issues hearing or understanding me. Ear plugs made it all that more bearable.

Newark is a dump.
Back in the '70s, when I was a student, few people, especially students had a headset. The hand mic and speaker was the standard. I still remember when I got my first set. It was great.

Today, I can hardly hear the engine without both hearing aids in. I wouldn't fly without a headset today. Heck, I wouldn't even taxi to fuel without it.

Back in the '70s, when I was a student, few people, especially students had a headset. The hand mic and speaker was the standard. I still remember when I got my first set. It was great.

Today, I can hardly hear the engine without both hearing aids in. I wouldn't fly without a headset today. Heck, I wouldn't even taxi to fuel without it.
I can see that being the norm in something like a 150/152. The Cirrus is just so incredibly loud in the cabin without headsets. It was almost painful and wouldn't have attempted it without ear plugs.

Also, remembering to grab the mic and not the PTT took a bit of training.

Back