Printers [NA]

I'm the proud proprietor of a Lexmark MC2535 color laser "all-in-one" (printer, scanner, copier, fax) which I use (and like) quite a bit. To be clear, I'm biased as I was on the development team for its predecessor product before retiring from Lexmark 14 years ago.

Most of my experience has been with models no longer available, so not sure how relevant it is now. First was an Epson multifunction inkjet, not used all that often, but it did so many cleaning cycles on it's own that it would burn through ink cartridges very fast, sometimes when I'd only had occasion to print a dozen pages. That was the first 'functional' printer I threw out. Next was a well-reviewed HP multifunction inkjet. It also decided to do random cleaning cycles on its own, and it was extremely noisy when doing so. Like garbage truck speeding down a washboarded gravel road noisy. Since the home office was a nook off of the bedroom, we got sick of being woken up at night a couple of times a week, so it became the second 'functional' printer we threw out.

I've had a Brother multifunction ever since. Very, very happy with it, though I'm sure this specific model is no longer available.

I want to buy a new printer
well. I'm 0 for 2 today with replying to your posts. Sorry man. What I can say is that I empathize. We've been through a few printers and they ALL SUCK. Hewlett Packard is the most disgraceful of the recent purchases. You cannot print unless you download their app and software, and subscribe to it! Insanity.

I'd love a company that just built a basic $50 USB port printer.. maybe WiFi or Bluetooth too.. that doesn't require a subscription, doesn't try and do fifteen thousand things. Just prints when you tell it to!

My favorite printer was a Lexmark. I was sad when the motor died and it was too old to replace. Second favorite was Epson. The HP.. total garbage. Mostly because of the app, subscription, app updates, etc. It also will not accept any ink you put in it unless you purchase from within the app it gives you. Shameful trash.

well. I'm 0 for 2 today with replying to your posts. Sorry man. What I can say is that I empathize. We've been through a few printers and they ALL SUCK. Hewlett Packard is the most disgraceful of the recent purchases. You cannot print unless you download their app and software, and subscribe to it! Insanity.

I don't believe that is true. Don't subscribe to "instant ink" or whatever it's called and you will still be able to print. No subscription is needed.

My sister recently bought a HP laserjet MFP 281 or 283 or whatever the newer version is and we didn't install anything.

I have a Brothers laser printer, and it's been a real workhorse.
Ditto. I bought it used -- check the print count on the drum counter, they're good for about 10k and most don't scratch that. Its worked well with aftermarket toner, two of which -- the minimum quantity I could find for sale, and which will far outlast my need for them -- were surprisingly cheap.

I wanted the sharpness of laser over inkjet, I wanted to be done with buying ink tanks. YMMV, but I concluded that if I needed color, it was cost-effective to outsource to Staples/FedEx-Kinkos.

I’ve had the experience of an HP printing fine with non-OEM cartridges, then someone accepting the firmware update; boom - never printed again unless fed with HP toner.
Go online; lots of ppl with same experience.
I would be ok if you knew at purchase but to drop in blocking software later…..I DO remember the name HP, and will forever.

I’ve had the experience of an HP printing fine with non-OEM cartridges, then someone accepting the firmware update; boom - never printed again unless fed with HP toner.
Go online; lots of ppl with same experience.
I would be ok if you knew at purchase but to drop in blocking software later…..I DO remember the name HP, and will forever.

Like I said. Printers are a scam.

I had a Canon that I paid under $100 for. I fed that thing $2 aftermarket ink and printed something north of 20K pages on it, mostly duplex. Also printed several hundred CDRs. That thing was a real workhorse. It would print incredibly high quality pictures on glossy photo paper too… that’s really the only time you could tell the difference between the expensive Canon ink and the cheap aftermarket stuff.

Unfortunately it eventually started getting mechanically worn out, and printer manufacturers got a lot more serious about forcing you to buy their high dollar ink. All except the Epson - pay a few hundred for the printer and save easily that much in ink.

The HP POS we have in one office will print without using the app and all, but most of the advertised features don’t work without setting up an account and using an app. Theres a USB port on the printer, but it’s disabled. The big office lasers don’t suffer from the same nonsense, but we avoid them anyway just because HP pi****d me off so much with the inkjet.

I don't believe that is true. Don't subscribe to "instant ink" or whatever it's called and you will still be able to print. No subscription is needed.

My sister recently bought a HP laserjet MFP 281 or 283 or whatever the newer version is and we didn't install anything.
Yeah I have a 281 (I'm looking at it.) I didn't subscribe to anything. It's a little bit picky on what toner cartridges it will accept, but you aren't necessarily forced to get the branded cartridges either. But honestly, I don't do that much printing. I use it mostly for scanning. When I do print, it's usually a form I need to sign and scan.

The driver can be a little wonky and it can tend to lose itself on the network, but hard wiring in to the router solved that. That said, I've also had experience with some of the newer models and those can in fact be a PITA.

Back