Primary maneuvers

ebetancourt

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Ernie
Went on the IAC website and couldn't find the answer. What are the typical Primary maneuvers in competition?

Went on the IAC website and couldn't find the answer. What are the typical Primary maneuvers in competition?
Ernie, attached is the 2010 Primary Sequence.

It starts with a 45° climb, then a one-turn spin, 1/2 Cuban, loop, 180°competition turn, and then a competition (slow) roll.

Is that what you were asking?

Are you thinking of competing?

Attachments

• primary.pdf
    33.8 KB · Views: 24
Thanks, that is what I was asking. And yes, maybe. It would be fun and help my skill level. I need to find a Waco knowledgeable instructor.

BTW the book says 1,500 ft first turn in a spin.:hairraise: I assume that climbing to a safe entry altitude is allowed.:wink2:

Ernie

BTW the book says 1,500 ft first turn in a spin.:hairraise: I assume that climbing to a safe entry altitude is allowed.:wink2:

Competing in a Waco? Very cool! Go for it. We used to have a guy in a stock Stearman show up at our contests. Very entertaining and a nice change up from all the Pitts' and Extras.

For a plane with such light wing loading, I would be very surprised if you lost 1500' in a one-turn spin. If that's really true, you would probably lose more than 1500', since the aircraft mfg probably only recovered the resulting steep dive upon exit, rather than pushing over to vertical down, as is required in competition. In any case, you have an altitude range of 1500'-4000' AGL to work with. Being such a large airplane, it wouldn't hurt to stay high. It's really hard to judge a Pitts S-1S at 4000'. :D

Eric

Competing in a Waco? Very cool! Go for it. We used to have a guy in a stock Stearman show up at our contests. Very entertaining and a nice change up from all the Pitts' and Extras.

For a plane with such light wing loading, I would be very surprised if you lost 1500' in a one-turn spin. If that's really true, you would probably lose more than 1500', since the aircraft mfg probably only recovered the resulting steep dive upon exit, rather than pushing over to vertical down, as is required in competition. In any case, you have an altitude range of 1500'-4000' AGL to work with. Being such a large airplane, it wouldn't hurt to stay high. It's really hard to judge a Pitts S-1S at 4000'. :D

Eric

I wouldn't expect to "compete" just have fun and learn. I haven't done a spin in it yet, but the book is interesting. First turn 1,500, second 800 and it will probably quit spinning after three turns and go into a high speed spiral dive. Vne is over 200mph so what the heck:goofy:

That's a great attitude...it really is supposed to be about having fun and not taking things too seriously. You will definitely be a big hit at a contest. :D

it will probably quit spinning after three turns and go into a high speed spiral dive.

Would like to hear about the spins when you start doing them, but this won't happen. Even in airplanes that fly out of spins on their own, as long as the stick is held fully aft, the plane can't gain much speed. I bet the Waco will happily keep spinning as long as you hold it in.

How close are you to Knoxville? Rob Bond lives there and is one of the most talented competition pilots in the country. Flies a Pitts S-2B in Unlimited. Also a CFI. He might be a good person to train with. Could put you in touch if you'd like.

Thanks, that is what I was asking. And yes, maybe. It would be fun and help my skill level. I need to find a Waco knowledgeable instructor.

Ernie
Ernie, you can always opt for the IAC Achievement Awards in the Smooth category if you prefer to avoid the competitive aspect. I know several people who have done this.

Here is a link to that information:

http://www.iac.org/programs/achievement.html

According to the guidelines here:

http://www.iac.org/programs/awards/guidelines.pdf

there is no maximum altitude, but the minimum altitudes still apply.

Thanks Adam for the vids. I watched them and am newly inspired to get in my decathlon and fly.... if this rain that we're having (everday since I got it home) would go away :crazy:

I'm not interested in competition but I am going to try for the smooth awards.

Good luck on the Smooths. Let us know when you get them.

Adam

Well, I flew Rosy this morning - first time in 2 weeks! We've had lots of rain. It was a great flight about 1.5 hrs. And an OK landing too :)... Gotta figure out how to slow her down better though. Once the engine is fully broken in then I"ll be out doing touch and goes till I get it.
And, once the engine is broken in then I can go back over to El Paso and start in on the smooth award prep. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. and I'll try to post a picture at some point.

Back