Price Check Cherokee 140/160

FL, GA, AL all have a lot of options for planes. But you also have to worry about corrosion a lot more for those states..

And yeah..definitely look nationwide. I bought my plane from AL. If I stuck with FL, I'd have FAR less choices...

Well my first plane I was looking at was in Texas.

I've broadened my search to Nevada and Arizona, but again, it's kinda slim pickins on this side of the country.

I'm not trying to move the goal posts on y'all. Just trying to winnow down my situation. And again, thoroughly enjoying EVERYTHING everyone has to offer. There's actually a wealth of information you guys are offering even beyond the price check. Which is awesome. Thanks!!!

I've noticed myself that when I have a really hot girlfriend, suddenly all her friends look even more attractive! LOL.

Funny that you mentioned all the good planes out east, because when I was looking, I was always thinking, "All the good planes are out west."

1963 PA-28 CHEROKEE 180 • $34,900 • AVAILABLE FOR SALEPriced to Sell! 1963 Piper Cherokee 180 in perfect mechanical and flying condition.

Funny story. This is exactly the plane that I was going to use to show the seller to be like "C'mon dude. Here's a plane listed for a thousand bucks less than yours. And right next door." There's another can of worms that I'm not going to address in this thread, but suffice to say that the engine overhaul IS something I'd have to worry about more than your average owner and the 800 hours this plane has more than the 140/160 puts the effective purchase price about 5-7k higher than the 140.

Wouldn't I still have to worry about fairings on this plane though? Guess that's a speed issue more than a capacity issue though.

FL, GA, AL all have a lot of options for planes. But you also have to worry about corrosion a lot more for those states..

And yeah..definitely look nationwide. I bought my plane from AL. If I stuck with FL, I'd have FAR less choices...

The only issue I could see with this is what I've already thought about with the logistical concerns... and not being able to see it myself.

Don't want to keep throwing pre-buy money at planes all over the place only to find out they're not worth the investment.

Last edited:
Funny story. This is exactly the plane that I was going to use to show the seller to be like "C'mon dude. Here's a plane listed for a thousand bucks less than yours. And right next door." There's another can of worms that I'm not going to address in this thread, but suffice to say that the engine overhaul IS something I'd have to worry about more than your average owner and the 800 hours this plane has more than the 140/160 puts the effective purchase price about 5-7k higher than the 140.

Ok,, would be interested to hear the back story just because there is a back story... how about another one, in TX...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1973 PA28-140 180hp REDUCED!
1x1.gif
[/FONT]

1973 PA28-140 180HP REDUCED! • $29,900 • FOR SALE BY OWNERWant a 180 but can't afford? This is your answer! Low time 140 w/Avcon 180hp STC. 3208TT, 405SMOH on O-360A4A. Speed mods-aileron & flap gap seals, wing root & full gear fairings, vortex generators, wing tips w/lights. 100hr since carb o/h & mag 500hr insp, 117hr since prop service. New sealed Concord battery, copper batt cables, 406 ELT. New interior, new glass, & glare shield w/lighting installed w/180STC. Very good original paint. KY97A, Mark11, AT50A Xponder, encoder, VOR. I'm 4th owner, mine since 1999. Nice clean Cherokee 135-140mph • Contact Jay Paschke, Owner - located Weatherford, TX USA • Telephone: 8172534018 . • Posted April 28, 2016 •​

1973 PA28-140 180HP REDUCED! • $29,900 • FOR SALE BY OWNERWant a 180 but can't afford? This is your answer!

Dammit Glenn. You're making it really really difficult to keep shooting these down. LoL

So on this plane, sure, looks great... but the radio stack is lacking, no built in fancy GPS, only 1 VOR. So how much to bring that plane up to the same avionics of the one I'm already looking at? So 30 purchase and another 13-15 for avionics? Back up to 45. THEN I have to fly commercial and 10 hour flight it back home over a day or two with those additional costs incurred.

The nice thing about this thread is that ANYONE looking for a plane in the same condition/cost range that I'm looking for is getting good leads. =D

@ircphoenix If you want a GPS (even a 430/530) you're into the mid or low 30s depending on the plane. Autopilot, maybe high 30s, low 40s. Updated stack for everything else, higher. Low/mid engine time, higher. Paint job, good interior, keeps going up, newer airframe..etc.

Pick what you can't live without if you're on a budget. Also, you only need 1 VOR/GS to shoot an approach :).

Well what I really want is an Arrow II (200 HP isn't MORE than 200 HP... take that, FAA!), with 3 axis autopilot tied to GPS, with cherry interior, flawless paint, low time engine, low hour airframe, indestructible parts, nonburnable oil, and a Mr. Fusion reactor. If you know someone selling that for 20k, let them know I'll pay cash right this second. :D

That 140 posted by Mike needs to be something you look at. ASAP.

That's an excellent panel for a 140, and in US dollars, 28000 CAD = 21000 USD. Insane price.

Engine is mid-time at 1000. And don't let the 2000 TBO be something you worry about. No one TBOs a Cherokee at 2000 hours unless they've broken something. Flight schools run those things to 3000+ hours all the time.

Heck, I think I'll call about it.

Im pretty sure its USD, its in Georgia. The 478 area code is Georgia too. 130 miles due east of Columbus Ga.

I'll stop now.

Last edited:
No. Wasn't me :)

Figured that one wouldn't last long. Mid-time, 430 equipped, great interior + exterior, 160HP, newer radios/comm panel, etc.

A 140 probably isn't what I'll end up getting, but that was a peach of an airplane for the price assuming it's mechanically in good shape.

Id also factor the Dynon 10A into your thoughts, it would replace your AI and serve as a nav head as I recall.

I'd be wanting good times, good overall condition a GNS430 or better and 180 hp or better.

Ok,, would be interested to hear the back story just because there is a back story... how about another one, in TX...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1973 PA28-140 180hp REDUCED!
1x1.gif
[/FONT]
1973 PA28-140 180HP REDUCED! • $29,900 • FOR SALE BY OWNERWant a 180 but can't afford? This is your answer! Low time 140 w/Avcon 180hp STC. 3208TT, 405SMOH on O-360A4A. Speed mods-aileron & flap gap seals, wing root & full gear fairings, vortex generators, wing tips w/lights. 100hr since carb o/h & mag 500hr insp, 117hr since prop service. New sealed Concord battery, copper batt cables, 406 ELT. New interior, new glass, & glare shield w/lighting installed w/180STC. Very good original paint. KY97A, Mark11, AT50A Xponder, encoder, VOR. I'm 4th owner, mine since 1999. Nice clean Cherokee 135-140mph • Contact Jay Paschke, Owner - located Weatherford, TX USA • Telephone: 8172534018 . • Posted April 28, 2016 •

Not shabby

For what its worth, I paid $31 for my 1969/70 Cherokee 140 and without the glass. A few other things on my panel are upgraded compared to the pics you posted but mine is only 150 hp.

Low time engine + 530. I think 34k is a fair price and you could probably get it at 32 if you start at 28. That is assuming no dings on the pre buy

The seller might be in Cali but the buyer probably won't be.

Back