Prescription glasses

skidoo

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skidoo
I have these "progressive" lenses, but am not satisfied with the performance. It seems to have the clearest view in a very narrow range and both eyes must be in the same area to get a clear view. Although still requiring head movement, the close focus seems fine and is great for the cockpit view. But, I would like to be able to just move my eyes from side to side and upper corners and have it be clear so as I don't have to move my head. So, this leads to my questions.

As a pilot who wears glasses, are you happy with your "progressive" lenses?
Are there certain types or brands that provide a better range of view?
Would you prefer bi-focals instead?
Any ideas to ask the eye Dr. to get the best prescription and construction for pilot use?
Is there a great product out there that I may not know about?

I have these "progressive" lenses, but am not satisfied with the performance. It seems to have the clearest view in a very narrow range and both eyes must be in the same area to get a clear view. Although still requiring head movement, the close focus seems fine and is great for the cockpit view. But, I would like to be able to just move my eyes from side to side and upper corners and have it be clear so as I don't have to move my head. So, this leads to my questions.

Any ideas to ask the eye Dr. to get the best prescription and construction for pilot use?

I can't speak to progressives. When I needed bifocals my eye doctor (who knows I'm a pilot) said "I don't recommend progressive bifocals to pilots. There is distortion in the peripheral vision areas." I assumed this would make landings a bigger challenge than they already are :wink2:. I accepted his advice and have been flying with bifocals for ~3 years now with no problems.

John

I've had 3 pairs of progressives, and they really vary in performance. My most recent ones are the best, and part of the discussion I had with the optician is the size of the reading/distance areas. Narrow lenses logically have smaller areas than larger lenses. My second pair had the reading area too large and too high, such that when I drove I needed to dip my head ever so slightly to look through the distance portion of the lense. I should have had them replaced but never did.

I would see no reason to go the bifocal route, if what you mean is the bifocal with the line vs. the progressive. Either way, I don't think you can get away from the head movement thing; it seems like a reality for us. I noticed that during my IR training. I could just move my eyes for my scan of the 6-pack instruments, but if I was using the ADF or NAV2, I needed to move my head to do so which threw me off a little bit at the beginning.

I'm currently using a modular system http://www.t2eyewear.com/t2.html where you can pick the lense shape, shape and color of the temple, bridge, etc. I picked this because the soft plastic temples bend very comfortably under my headset, and I also could order both a polarized and non-polarized clip-on sunglasses. I like the concept, but they seem a little flimsy.

You would think SOMEONE would have an Rx lense/sunglass combo made for pilots' needs, but I've yet to find one. Sheyden seems to make a rock solid pair of glasses, but don't have a clip-on system. Who really walks around the FBO or around town with the flip-up sunglasses on Sheyden Rx frames? Every time I see them at AirVenture, I ask about that, and they say they used to have a clip-on version, but dropped it some years ago.

Good luck!
Stan

yeah, not so happy with the progressives. I have straight bifocals for flying and computer work with the reading lens focused for about panel distance.

About ten years ago, I went in and asked to get progressive lenses. The optometrist asked a few questions, and found out I fly. He said he strongly recommends against progressives for pilots because pilot customers were never happy with them for just the reasons Skidoo mentioned. I took his advice, and got trifocals instead. We had the section lines between distant, mid, and near cut based on where the glare shield and the bottom of the instrument panel in my plane are in my field of vision, and they worked quite well for several years.

'Course then I switched to the then-new astigmatic toric multifocals, but that's another story entirely, and the trifocals are still my backup.

Last edited:
I have used progressive bifocals for years with no problems. I think I have about a -3.0 diopter correction.

I've got my second set of progressive lenses in my flip-up sunglasses frames and they're fine.

As the optometrists at OSH advise you want to measure the distance from your nose to where you want to see. I have the 27" to the panel on the bottom with infinity distance on top. My "lap" reading distance is less.

I've flown with both... and got used to the progressives after a few years of flying with standard bifocals.

For a long time I used my standard contact lense for distant and "reading glasses" for chart work.

I now fly with approved bifocal contact lenses and solved the "narrow progressive" thing.

I can't speak to progressives. When I needed bifocals my eye doctor (who knows I'm a pilot) said "I don't recommend progressive bifocals to pilots. There is distortion in the peripheral vision areas." I assumed this would make landings a bigger challenge than they already are :wink2:. I accepted his advice and have been flying with bifocals for ~3 years now with no problems.

John

Sure, blame the glasses.

Progressives work OK for me. But, then, I have an easy airplane to land.

John
I have been wearing progressive lenses for years. For reasons similar to the thoughts expressed elsewhere in this thread, I thought I should have conventional bifocals for flying. For me it was a big mistake. The radio stack was just in between the distance and the close-in lenses and I had to take my glasses off to read the radio freqs. And the line drove me crazy although I know with more usage I could adapt.... just as you can adapt to the progressives. Vanity struck, I didn't want to go around sporting a pair of trifocals... I went back to the progressives and that's what I am wearing today.

-Skip

Lasik eye surgery + drug-store reading glasses works really well.

The lasik gives you 20-20 or better vision at infinity. Reading glasses provide good vision at all angles when you're looking at stuff in the cockpit.

I've been wearing progressive lenses longer than I've been flying. I really don't know anything else. They work for me. I keep my previous pair in a hard case in my flight bag so I have a backup in case something happens to my current pair. I have fixed focal length glasses for the computer as the area in focus on the screen is too small with the progressives.

I am 100% happy with my progressives. I fly a variety of planes with a variety of panels and a variety of performance. They work well in all. YRMV, of course.

For the guys who aren't Lasik candidates:

I wore progressive glasses for years but it was a pain switching from sun glasses to regular all of the time and God help me if I went swimming. I went in for a Lasik consultation and found that my eyesight was too far gone to get the full benefit from Lasik. I ended up getting the lenses in my eyes replaced with a type that allows some bending and focusing of the implanted lens. Also, no halo rings. Now I don't wear glasses for anything including reading. For those who want to throw away the glasses and can't do Lasik, there are alternatives.

Go to VisionsOfCanada.com. Their progressive lenses are fantastic (but expensive). I had tried 'regular' progressives and they literally made me sick when I wore them.
The first time I put on my VOC progressives I didn't believe they were progressive - until I started looking at stuff far and near. The difference between their lenses and 'regular' lenses is hard to describe.

The narrow view thing may not be related to the progressive lenses. I have very strong lenses and have had an issue with narrow focused field of vision with various glasses. The key seems to be to ask for a "deep base curve" in the lenses - whatever that is. I now have glasses that work very well for me and I insist very strongly every time I get glasses that they change nothing from the current glasses except the prescription. Lenses with the same prescription can have various shapes - and I don't mean the shape needed to fit the frame.

The narrow view thing may not be related to the progressive lenses. I have very strong lenses and have had an issue with narrow focused field of vision with various glasses. The key seems to be to ask for a "deep base curve" in the lenses - whatever that is. I now have glasses that work very well for me and I insist very strongly every time I get glasses that they change nothing from the current glasses except the prescription. Lenses with the same prescription can have various shapes - and I don't mean the shape needed to fit the frame.
Both my Wife and I have had trouble with the wrong base curve. The opticion will tell you the perscription is correct, but you still have trouble.
Also, my current glasses have Definity lenses, and I don't think they are quite as good as real Verilux, as Rotor & Wing says. I don't know what my sunglasses have, but they are really great all around. Different brands are different!
In any case, I like progressives and have had no problem flying with them.

My eye doc is a pilot - he wears progressives.

I don't, I wear bifocals because I didn't like the lack of peripheral vision. I guess you can get used to it. He did suggest 'round top' bifocals for me, and I do like them better than the regular flat-top style I had worn. For me, they are a little less obtrusive and work fine, everybody's vision is different and they may not work as well for others.

Here's a http://www.medrounds.org/optics-review/2006/05/30.html link that describes some of the drawbacks.

I worked for a 747 captain and we were discussing his glasses. He had tri focals, Out the Window, On the Panel, On the FMS. The top 2/3rds of the Out the Window part was a graduated violet hue. He said he went through multiple permutations (he didn't like progressives either) and found these worked best for flying.

For you I would suggest using "Chart in Lap" as your third distance.

Last edited:
I have had bifocals for 20 years, tried the progressives, stayed with lined bifocals.

The line is a little higher than normal, so when I am flying, the line basically sits on the glareshield. The panel is in near vision, the windscreen (and side windows) are in far vision areas of my glasses.

First, I'm near sighted. I needed lenses for distance.

From what I understand there is an hourglass shaped area in a progressive lense that you really focus and see through.

I found that progressives were fine for daytime flying, awful for night. I just couldn't have all the lights in my periferal vision blurred.

I talked to my optometrist about it. I also sat in a cockpit and measured the approximate distances from my head to the furthest and nearest part of the instrument panel in a 172 (with a tape measure).

The result is a pair of tailor made large lense non-progressive bifocals. The cut in the glass lives right about at the glare shield so nothing important is blocked.

Without moving my head, I look up and see outside distances, look down to see instrumments very clearly even in low light.

They were a bit more expensive, but your eyes are the primary sensor you have to interface with your instruments.

I have been planning to hook up with a safety pilot and see how it goes trying to land with lost eyeglasses. You just never know.

Last edited:
I wear progressive.
I use Scheyden with a built in flip Up sunglasses for flying.
My daily wear glasses (not flying) come from a local Optometrist.
I have flown and driven with booth and although they are the same RX, and similar shape/size it always amazes me how much clearer the Scheydens are.

http://www.scheyden.com/Index.html

I started flying when I wore no glasses at all but now I'm using progressives. I notice more problems with the glasses doing fine machinework than I do flying. Its annoying to have to move your head to see through the proper part of the lens but only for a few weeks....I've gotten used to the lenses over the last 3 years and haven't noticed any issues at all flying, landing or taking off. I haven't flown at night with these so I can't say whether there is any problem there or not....

Frank

I held out on Scheyden until virtually everyone I knew had gotten a pair.

All I can say is, "I should have ordered sooner."

My optometrist provided sunglasses pale in comparison to the Scheydens.

They are a bugger to keep clean, though.

Good afternoon,
I know your post is quite old, but I would like to know more about some of the problems that the pilot community runs into in regards to prescription eyewear. My name is Zack and the company I work for is launching a quadrifocal lens for pilots. It is the first of its kind and we are looking to get feedback from professionals in the industry to see how it is received. I am open to any thoughts anyone would have. Thank you

Hey Zack... I am a pilot and also work in the optical dispensing biz. Tell us more about your "quadrafocals". That's a lot of vision corridors.

My biggest problem with Progressives is most folks want to charge me close to 1 AMU for a pair of the damn things. Got to keep those monopolies fed. Hurray for the internet!

My optometrist solve the problem for me cheap. Real genius. Seriously.

I went to special bi-focals. Distant vision on top and INVERTED computer reading bifocal pushed all the way to the bottom. My insurance converted the whole thing.

Now I can easily see traffic and glance down the read any gauge or screen. This set-up has a wider field of vision and focus area than progressives.

...You would think SOMEONE would have an Rx lense/sunglass combo made for pilots' needs, but I've yet to find one...

Ray Ban does. Take your prescription into a store that also sells Ray Ban sunglasses and inquire within. About $200 in I remember the sign.

View attachment 63262 I have worn progressive lenses for 20 years and those 'out of focus' zones are just part of using them. I can read the stuff in the cockpit and see well outside (when I turn my head). The peripheral vision is certainly out of focus and I depend on peripheral when landing and taking off. The blur is ok because I just want to keep the airplane going straight. Of course I rarely turn my head much when landing unless I am getting too close to the edge of the runway. Then I might take a quick glance.

View attachment 63262

Last edited:

If you're having problems with the focus in the distance vision zone, maybe you changed your index value and that is affecting the 'sweet spot'? I thought high index lenses(thinner) were supposed to be clearer towards the edges but it seems it may be the opposite (more distortion with higher index). The vision center might try to upsell you on high index since they are more expensive.

http://www.highindexlenses.com/pros-and-cons-for-high-index-lenses/

I'd like to see a better source, but that is one that I found.

The technology seems to continually keep advancing. I've had progressives for about two years. They are high index plastic, and they are fairly large somewhat rectangular lenses. There is no discernible distortion at the edges of the long distance focal length or the lower corners in the "reading glasses" portion, and I have no trouble with peripheral vision when flying.

My optometrist said there is some "tuning" that can be done to the area of the lens devoted to each of the focal lengths, and I understand that can influence both the peripheral area and how well they work in any particular application. In my case the middle distance was made deliberately narrow to enhance the long distance and reading functions. As a result I have to keep my head fairly still working on a computer to keep the screen display in sharp focus, but no issue doing anything else including flying.

I've been using progressives myself for about 20 years and have no problem with them at all. Work perfectly fine.

+1 on this recommendation. Standard lined bifocals with computer distance in the lower lens and distance in the upper. You enter the prescription values and other dimensions into the EyeBuyDirect website so you can customize the configuration for best results. And they will replace the glasses for any reason if you are unsatisfied with the result.

I adjust the height of the lower lens so the line is at the top of the panel (the glareshield) when my head is in a comfortable position. So there's no up and down movement needed to cover the whole panel or the outside. With them being standard lenses, peripheral vision is unobstructed.

If you want sunglasses, you can specify the degree of tint until you get it exactly the way you want. All for a bargain price.

Been wearing progressives while flying for 3+ years without issue. Last year sprung for Maui Jim prescription progressive sunglasses and love them for driving and flying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ended up with two pair of progressives this year. Mostly because the lab was having a sale, but also because my eye doc figured out why he kept having to change my prescription.

I was over-corrected in single vision for something like 15 years. I got used to it. In progressives he had originally done the distance vision portion at 20/20 and I was used to seeing a little better. Especially at night.

So for the last four years I kept asking him to bump the prescription and wasn’t quite settled on the progressives. Something always seemed wrong.

He said after he thought about it for a little bit, that there was no way my eyes were changing that much at my age, and he said the measurements backed it up. So he started thinking and then realized what DOES change eyeballs in a normal day. Focusing at the wrong focal point and eye strain.

He had me sit in a chair and show him exactly how far I sit from my two computer monitors at work and then said “ah-ha!” I sit a LOT closer than most people sit to monitors. Always have.

So, he said he had way too much correction in the lower half of my progressives for four years and this is what would happen.

I would come in, get eyes tested while all rested up and not tired and he’d get my complaint that the top half wasn’t as strong as I liked and fiddled with the prescription every year thinking that the problem was the distant vision part.

But then I’d go sit at the monitors and strain the crap out of my eyes for a full workday and then try to drive home at night or dusk, with eyes that had been working way too hard all day. And that kind of eye strain isn’t damaging but it take about half an hour to recover from as far as focal length goes.

So this would repeat every year. I would complain the glasses weren’t quite right at distance and we’d up the prescription again.

The solution? A pair of computer work progressives for the office and home and a pair of over-corrected progressives for the airplane and driving.

Now the eyes are not tired and I just have to remember to switch glasses. And it’s GREAT. The weak progressives for close work at the computer, electronics bench, cars, whatever and the long range progressives for looking at the panel and outside the airplane both.

Really the computer glasses could be non-progressives but it’s still nice to get up and walk around the office and not be completely blind looking down the hall or whatever. The distance area in those is the original 20/20 measurement so they’re fine.

But then I can put on the distant pair and the mid range distance to the airplane panel which is a lot further than I sit from my computer monitors is great, as is reading road signs at half a mile, which is what I was used to for so many years, he’ll never break my habit of wanting that when driving. (Ticks my wife off. She can’t see the road signs and read them that far away.)

Took a couple of weeks to stop leaving the wrong pair on my face. Now it’s normal routine. If I’m dumb and walk outside with the computer pair, they’re not the auto darkening sunglasses and I’ll notice right away since I’m suddenly squinting. Ha.

Once in a while I forget and leave the long range pair on at the computer but after he figured out it was eye strain, if I pay attention to it, I notice that now too.

The outdoor pair really do let me see farther than I really should clearly but they’re also great for spotting traffic. So I’m hooked. Short range and long range progressives. Not the cheapest solution but works really well for me.

Progressives with the auto darkening option that darkens in the sun. The problem is that they don't darken very much in the cockpit. I need either flip shades or separate pair of progressive sunglasses. Trying to land with the setting sun In your face is always exciting for me.

I have this issue. Apparently you and I are pickier than most about our quality of vision. I discovered that there are better lenses that, of course, are far more expensive, that have a wider range of focus. I kept going back to my optician and complaining until they gave me the better lenses. Before doing that, I could only read one word at a time in focus without moving my whole head. That’s ridiculous.

You still have to adjust to moving your head when looking at objects at different distances, that’s the point of progressive lenses, but the narrow focus side to side issues are resolved for me, if I pony up for the more expensive lenses.

Back