Preparing Logbook for an interview - suggestions?

U

Unregistered

This is somewhat hypothetical question, since I'm not there yet, but...

Let's say that a pilot gets an interview with an airline.
They usually exam his logbook.
I heard stories about "adjustments" that are made, or hours ignored, or any kind of unpleasantness because the person who reviews the logbook felt the pilot didn't do a good enough job.

My question - how would you prepare for an interview - logbook wise?
What would they like to see in your logbook, what would tick them off?
I am somewhat new pilot but I want my logbook to look good if and when I get to that point.

When I interviewed at my (hopefully!) last airline, I did a thorough review of my logbook and added up all the times again to find any discrepancies. It took forever as I had about 5,000hrs or so. I only found one or two items and they were generally just adding up a column incorrect and it gets carried over. I made a note at the bottom of the current page I was one referencing the error and put the correct times in. It wasn't a lot (less than an hr), but I wanted it correct. It was most likely overkill, but I wanted to walk out of the interview without having to say "if only I had...."

I would also recommend putting a sticky note type book mark label at all of the "key points" in your logbook career. Checkrides, etc. They did go through those.

Also, if you put a "woa holy sh*t that was close" type comment, they have a knack for finding it. :D

Why are you posting this anonymously?

Log everything you are legally entitled to log. If a particular company doesn't want to include something, they will tell you what they are looking for. They are entitled to look for any kind of time they choose, but to log something, or worse, NOT log something in the hopes some future employer or other will be looking is kind of shooting yourself in the foot.

Again, log EVERYTHING you are entitled to log. Let the future employer sort it out. Or they can tell you what they are looking for and you can find it for them.

To tag on to this question, what if a pilot incorrectly logged hours while splitting time (logged the entire flight as total time but only some of the time as PIC) and then made a blanket correction (net decrease in total time) to the logbook later on before the interview? Should something be disclosed to the intervewer or just mention that a portion of time was incorrectly logged and later corrected?

OP here.
Thanks for the comments.
I asked my flight instructor the same question.
He said - have a comment for every flight.

I never put comments other then safety pilot's name (unless the instructor writes something in it).

So - comment for every flight?

Also, what about XC time?
I would sometimes go to an airport that is say, about an hour in straight line, put on the way I'll check out an interesting road, a landmark, etc.
Instead of an hour - the flight takes an hour and a half - would anyone question that?

I have a comment for every flight, mostly to remind myself of interesting things. I can't see it hurting.

Also, what about XC time?
I would sometimes go to an airport that is say, about an hour in straight line, put on the way I'll check out an interesting road, a landmark, etc.
Instead of an hour - the flight takes an hour and a half - would anyone question that?

I don't see why they would, but if they do, your explanation sounds plausible.

The only thing I usually write in the comments is the customer name, which may not be the smartest thing to write down, but oh well. I know people who don't write anything in the comments and people who log all their flights for the month or year on one line after getting a computer printout from the company.

He said - have a comment for every flight.

I never put comments other then safety pilot's name (unless the instructor writes something in it).

Most of mine are blank except for the other crew member's name. If you do put comments in, avoid "woa almost bit the dust on that one" or "buzzed some boats on the lake". Interviewers have a habit of noticing those. :D

They are looking for reasonable neatness(don't sweat it if your private hours look like hell), accuracy, (at the end page) and that you haven't pencil whipped the thing. They will might add some of your times ex. single+multi=total at the most.

-tab your check-rides, it will help them out

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back