Preparing CFI applicant

Stets66

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Stets656
Looking at preparing my first CFI applicant, does anybody have any advice or good materials in regards to this. Obviously first time, so wanna make sure I do it properly and am well prepared before starting.

Obviously all of the “official” stuff about PTS/ACS familiarity, knowing all the FAA pubs,…

The suggestion I’ve made for quite a few years now is spend time here with the applicant…there are lots of good discussions about the ins and outs of flying airplanes, taking checkrides, giving instruction, etc. The best part, IMO, is that you get to separate the wheat from the chaff and do research/find references to back up the answer you’re going to stand behind.

this might be a good thread to start with…
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/cfi-bootcamp-or-venture-north.133661/

As I had mentioned in the thread noted above. The modern trend for DPEs, at least in AZ, seems to be to ask the applicant to teach a lesson on a task in the CFI PTS. They expect every item listed in that task to be covered in one lesson or noted that it will require a series of lessons, even if this is not the way you might actually teach a student.

The pre-paid lesson plans are a very good base to start from to ensure that happens and a fairly painless way to review and cover it all.

Flight Instructor Handbook. Read it. Learn it. Love it.

Applicant should make their own lesson plans per the above book.

Applicant needs to change his or her mindset to one of a teacher.

Practice teaching different people, consider their criticism.

Go test.

He should be able to teach everything in the PTS. The flying portion shouldn’t be too much. The ground is where it all happens. Be sure when he is teaching to give questions that he will have to be able to answer. Make him a quality CFI, not just a be able to pass a checkride CFI, already too many of them out there.

Have him create flash cards for the FOI's especially the big important points called out in the FIA PTS.

For the required Runway Incursion Avoidance lesson (see the Technical Subjects), have him do this as a story narrative. This makes this long, boring lesson more interesting if he incorporates all 17 items within a story about a recent flight.

For the pre-solo Student Pilot endorsements, see if you can figure out my favorite memory aid, TIM loves BaCoN On Pizza. (stolen from Todd Shellnutt)

Minimally go through each task in the ACS for the private, commercial and instructor and compile a list of the FAA Handbooks and advisory circulars referenced for a study list.

Last edited:
Minimally go through each task in the ACS for the private, commercial and instructor and compile a list of the FAA Handbooks and advisory circulars referenced for a study list.

I wouldn’t say minimally, the student should be able to teach everything in there. That’s the reason the average CFI oral around here is 6 hours.

I wouldn’t say minimally, the student should be able to teach everything in there. That’s the reason the average CFI oral around here is 6 hours.
Minimally that was the study materials list - not to minimally study those items.

Yes. And should teach every single item mentioned in the PTS for any given task.

There is no reason to miss. Just have all the points in a written plan ahead of time. Easy way to do that is with the pre-paid ones. But then be sure to review and know the material and modify for your style.

Looking at preparing my first CFI applicant, does anybody have any advice or good materials in regards to this. Obviously first time, so wanna make sure I do it properly and am well prepared before starting.

Since I had to fly 2 hours to my DPE, I sent all of the endorsements and paperwork ahead of time to make sure he was satisfied and that we had everything.

There are a lot of the admin parts to the practical test my examiner shared with me he routinely gets people that aren’t organized. This is everything I brought to my practical.

Endorsements:

1. Spin training
2. Pre-Requisites for practical test
3. Review of deficiencies of written exam
4. CFI ground and flight proficiency for the practical test.

5. 141 completion certificate if completed under 141.

6. FAA FOI and CFI written test results or Ground Instructor certificate in lieu of FOI.

7. The DPE had me print out the IACRA form and bring it with an ink signature over the electric signature as a backup.

8. Bring the aircraft records. Make sure the airplane has a current 100 hour, pitot-static, transponder, and annual inspection. The examiner was impressed that I had all of these dates written and could show him in the logbooks. (I’m an A&P so that part was easy)

9. Make sure all of the AROW docs are with the airplane. You’d be surprised how many show up with these docs missing.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back