Preflight Cycling of Controllable-Pitch Prop?

Beech electric is one cycle on manual and one cycle on governor. I don't have a governor connected. And if the prop doesn't cycle, I just land at high RPM position. So I don't do any prop cycles before take off.

It should be noted that the Beech electric doesn't move in manual mode, making it truly a 'controllable pitch' rather than a 'constant speed'. If the governor is activated, it becomes a constant speed. Most Bo owners don't run the prop in auto or governor mode because they want to minimize wear on the pitch change, and associated bearings and races.

So how do you check for fractures with composite props? Is there some zyglow equivalent, or is it ultrasonic or something else?

These composite props have to go through the same certification tests as aluminum ones, birdstrike, lightning, overspeed, etc., right?

Trapper John

Typically ultrasonic or x-ray. If I owned a composite aircraft, I'd own an ultrasound rig with 70*, 30*and 0* crystals. You can probably find an old Sperry "UJ" scope with crystals pretty cheap. Not as simple and user friendly as modern stuff, but has some advantages in tunability that the new rigs don't give you.

You don't, and the wood core will save you.

Unless it looks like this:

attachment.php

Note that both the plastic outer layer and the wood core are severely cracked.

Beech electric is one cycle on manual and one cycle on governor. I don't have a governor connected. And if the prop doesn't cycle, I just land at high RPM position. So I don't do any prop cycles before take off.

It should be noted that the Beech electric doesn't move in manual mode, making it truly a 'controllable pitch' rather than a 'constant speed'. If the governor is activated, it becomes a constant speed. Most Bo owners don't run the prop in auto or governor mode because they want to minimize wear on the pitch change, and associated bearings and races.

Good info, Doc.

I'm not as familiar with the Beech electric prop due to the dearth of material about it (and I have Colvin's book)

Good info, Doc.

I'm not as familiar with the Beech electric prop due to the dearth of material about it (and I have Colvin's book)

It's a rare beast. The holy mantra of info comes from; 'Ops and service instructions * Overhaul instructions + IPC Propellers; R200, B200, 215. Beech aircraft corp, doc #115187 A1, Rev Nov 16 1962'.

I have one of the few copies in existence. I also have Colvin and the one on the E series Bos too. Not much info out there, and what a great prop.

It's a rare beast. The holy mantra of info comes from; 'Ops and service instructions * Overhaul instructions + IPC Propellers; R200, B200, 215. Beech aircraft corp, doc #115187 A1, Rev Nov 16 1962'.

I have one of the few copies in existence. I also have Colvin and the one on the E series Bos too. Not much info out there, and what a great prop.

Wow -- now that's a rare document!

It is a great, simple prop -- but apparently the overhaul costs are astronomical.

John Deakin apparently does not think it is that important

http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/186619-1.html

Prop Cycling
Don't wear the poor thing out, especially on the single-engine aircraft. Many do three or more cycles, often to very low RPM. Not necessary, and probably not desirable, it just prolongs the whole event, making the engine hotter, and going to full low RPM may be hard on the prop and engine mounts as the blades flail the air. Repeated cycles are probably a carry-over from the old radials.
The big old radials do often need several cycles to flush all the really cold oil out of the prop system. This can be clearly seen on cold starts after the engine has been at rest for a time. During the first cycle, the RPM will drop much more slowly than usual, and it will probably even drop erratically, from "slugs" of oil sludge going through. I've had to exercise them as much as a dozen times to get a nice smooth drop. It's also required to cycle them to the low RPM stop at least once to make sure the system has been adjusted properly; the minimum governor setting is generally 1,200 RPM. These prop systems are somewhat different from those on most GA aircraft.
GA props on single-engine GA aircraft do not keep a lot of oil in the prop hub when at rest: There's a big, strong spring that pushes the blades "flat," and it takes engine and governor oil pressure to get any oil in there at all. A single cycle is sufficient to check function, and frankly, this check is unlikely to find any problems. I frequently skip it entirely. If the RPM comes up to nominal takeoff RPM (on the takeoff run), and stays there, that's function check enough.
(You know, I think there are probably people out there who want to put the airplane up on jacks before every flight so they can roll the wheels to make sure they rotate before they taxi. We tend to do a lot of "checking" in aviation that is really doing nothing more than wearing things out prematurely.)
On the other hand, light twins usually have the spring pushing the prop into feather, and the dome will be full of oil at rest, so they may benefit from a few cycles on a cold day. But modern oils don't sludge up as much as the old straight 60-weight in the radials and the GA props should be well-oiled with one or two short RPM drops on the check. If I owned a twin, I'd probably do a feather check once a month in the air, for real. Certainly before and after the annual, and let it go at that.

(You know, I think there are probably people out there who want to put the airplane up on jacks before every flight so they can roll the wheels to make sure they rotate before they taxi. We tend to do a lot of "checking" in aviation that is really doing nothing more than wearing things out prematurely.)

That there's sum funny stuff...

But I think the problem in general aviation is not enough checking of the things that matter.

Interesting discussion. I just took my first ride in about 15 years in a constant speed prop machine today.
Instructor said "cycle 3 times" :)

Interesting discussion. I just took my first ride in about 15 years in a constant speed prop machine today.
Instructor said "cycle 3 times" :)

A lot of aviation OWTs and baseless ideas get perpetuated this way.

Back