Preferred Route - Great Falls Montana to Portland OR?

Marc CYBW

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Marc CYBW
A group of Calgary based pilots are considering a VFR trip to visit to the Evergreen Museum in Portland. We could go via the Canadian VFR route to Vancouver but it seems out of the way. What is the preferred southern route via Great Falls? Thanks,

I'm not at all sure, but you'll LOVE the Evergreen Museum! It is absolutely fantastic! It is in Mcminnville Oregon, which is also a really nice airport. If you guys also have interest, you might want to check out the Tillamook Air Museum as well, they have a bunch of old WW2 planes, and are also located on an airport.

How much do you trust your engine? KGTF -D> KMMV is perfectly do-able VFR at 12,500. It'll look something like this:

web.jpg

If you don't like the looks of that terrain, you can go IFR - That is, the I Follow Roads variety. On about a 210 heading out of KGTF, follow I-15 either all the way down to I-90, or cut the corner from Helena to the west to pick up I-90. Go past Missoula, Mullan Pass, and just a hair past S83 Shoshone County you can punch in direct, which will shoot you about halfway between Mt. Adams and Mt. Hood. Absolutely beautiful country up there. :yes: This will add about 70nm to your trip if you do cut the corner west from Helena.

Note: I do not fly in the area regularly (I'm from about 1000nm to the east!) but have flown there a bit (I did take that pic above). And I've driven I-90 through there many times as well. I can tell you what the terrain looks like, but not so much what the weather will do to you. Caveat Aviator. :yes:

Take lots of pictures of the museum AND your trip, and let us know how it goes! Both the museum and the flight will be spectacular. :yes: The Hughes HK-1 (aka the Spruce Goose) is mind-bogglingly huge (That's a B-25 underneath its tail):

web.jpg

And be sure to spend a LOT of time at the B-17 with Lt. Col. Russell Barney, USAF (Ret.) who was a B-17 captain in WWII. You can't ask for better stories, or a better storyteller. :no:

web.jpg

Last edited:
Back