Predictive cat....

I've heard this discussed on a few radio talk shows. Some have dubbed him the "Cat of Death." There are all kinds of theories from a "cat-like ESP" to chemicals the cat can pick up from a dying person. We'll never know for certain how Oscar does it.

I simply sum it up to God trusting the cat before He trust us.

I've heard about this before and that is just awesome. I hope when I'm about to die a cat will jump up on my bed and curl up beside me and keep me company during my last hours.

Just my luck, I'd go to the nursing home to visit someone and that damn cat would jump right in MY lap. That's gotta' ruin your whole day.

Nobody has figured out that what this cat is doing, is curling up on top of the person's face......

Just my luck, I'd go to the nursing home to visit someone and that damn cat would jump right in MY lap. That's gotta' ruin your whole day.

I don't know, I think it would be comfortable to have something beside you as you prepare for the next life.

Our cat was just a kitten when my step-dad was in the final few months of his life. She would lay on his lap for hours, totally unlike a kitten. Toward the end he didn't know people but he always asked for Clara. I swear they do sense something.

From Wikipedia-
"
Cats have been kept by humans since at least ancient Egypt, where the mythical cat Bast was goddess of the home, the domestic cat, protector of the fields and home from vermin infestations, and sometimes took on the warlike aspect of a lioness. The first domesticated cats may have saved early Egyptians from many rodent infestations and likewise, Bast developed from the adoration for her feline companions. She was the daughter of the sun god Ra and played significant role in Ancient Egyptian religion. It has been speculated that cats resident in Kenya's Islands in the Lamu Archipelago may be the last living direct descendants of the cats of ancient Egypt.[55]
Several ancient religions believed that cats are exalted souls, companions or guides for humans, that they are all-knowing but are mute so they cannot influence decisions made by humans. In Japan, the Maneki Neko is a cat that is a symbol of "good fortune". While in Islam there is not a sacred species, it is said by some writers that Muhammad had a favorite cat, Muezza.[56] It is said he loved cats so much that "he would do without his cloak rather than disturb one that was sleeping on it".[57]
It is common lore that cats have nine lives. It is a tribute to their perceived durability, their occasional apparent lack of instinct for self-preservation, and their seeming ability to survive falls that would be fatal to other animals."

Last edited:
I don't know, I think it would be comfortable to have something beside you as you prepare for the next life.

BTW, there is Scripture to suggest animals have a spark of a soul. I was totally surprised to find it. If anyone is interested I'll find the verse for discussion.

Most plausible explanation is that people are gullible dumbasses. This is supported by innumerable historical precedents.
-harry

Most plausible explanation is that people are gullible dumbasses. This is supported by innumerable historical precedents.
-harry

Your life must be like a joyous musical, or a romantic stroll through a garden of fragrant delightful flowers. Surely everywhere you travel a bevy of lively ladies hang breathlessly on your every delightful word. :rolleyes: :blowingkisses:

bob and tom had a ton of fun with this one last week

I don't get the Barnhill-esque links. Nobody is saying that because the cat curls up next to you you will die. Only that this specific cat seems to do this with a frequency that exceeds what pure random chance would indicate.

"Seems" is the correct word.

I had a premonition the airliner I was on would crash. It didn't. I happen to remember the false alarm.

People forget those misses, so it 'seems" that this exceeds pure random chance.

Psychics like John Edwards make fortunes based on this human frailty.

Your life must be like a joyous musical, or a romantic stroll through a garden of fragrant delightful flowers....
The real world has actual joyous music, and fragrant delightful flowers. There's more than enough "wonder" in the real world, more than enough fantastic phenomena, more than enough indescribable beauty, without trying to pad it with cheap and uninspiring fiction like "cats like old people, can predict when they're going to die, and want to go provide them comfort in their time of need".

To me, that's like saying "Sistine Chapel, nice picture up there on the ceiling, but I think it can be improved by painting in a picture of a kitten hanging on a tree limb. What's latin for 'hang in there, baby', any way?"
-harry

To me, that's like saying "Sistine Chapel, nice picture up there on the ceiling, but I think it can be improved by painting in a picture of a kitten hanging on a tree limb.

Hmmmm!? Couldn't hurt, who doesn't like kittens?

What's latin for 'hang in there, baby', any way?"
-harry

Dunno but in traditional Chinese it's "吊那裡, Baby!" :)

From reading the article, I get this impression:

The cat has met a bunch of people, and likes to spend time with them. He, like most cats, can tell when there is a problem, and sticks around when he notices that a patient is not feeling good.

Then the patient dies.

What am I missing? Nothing special, the cat sees EVERYONE that day. He stays when he feels something is wrong. Ever have a cat lie on your chest, and when you get heartburn, or some random ache, the cat will massage just the right spot to get rid of the pain?

Happens with every cat I've ever had around me. I am now a dog person because cats smell bad (and yes, even if you take care of the litter box, you're used to it, I still smell cat pee in your house), but cats do this.

Back