Precautionary Landing

They're nothing more than a partially-contolled gasoline fire in a trash can. Why would that make anybody nervous?:rofl:

Thing is no different than the thing that burned one of my Corvairs up. I loath the infernal contraption....

I wasn't expecting to be a repeat customer for Knisley quite this quickly, but some problems surfaced during an inspection. I hate screwing with exhaust systems and don't ever want to work on one more than once during an ownership cycle.

My shop checked the muffler and said it was in good shape and a lot newer than the pipes. They are probably the originals. The $1,250 doesn't include labor or gaskets, so I do expect it to cost more and won't be surprised.

In all the years I've heard that and growing up working on cars and engines, I have found zero evidence of that. It's pure OWT poppycock IMO.

Yeah, I've never seen it happen in automotive engines(where this rumor originated I'm sure). I suppose it COULD happen...But even if it did, it would just result in a minor loss of compression and power on that cylinder.

My buddy drove and drag raced a Mustang for a few seasons with valves that weren't seated properly. He didn't find out until the heads went in to get other work done...He put thousands of miles on the engine before they found the issue. So, if you didn't realize the exhaust broke off by the time any real damage could occur(if any would ever occur), you shouldn't be around airplanes to begin with.

Back