Pre-flight checklist procedure

cchild

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
cchild
Hello,
My name is Cary Child. I am doing a project for a MBA operations management class. We are looking at the process of pre-flight checklist procedures. Is there a place I can get a real GENERAL understanding of how this works. Such as pilot checks plane, if an issue maitenance tech called in, If minor issue then logged for latter maintenance, if no issue then proceeds to next step. I especially am looking for a workflow chart of this procedure. It would be helpful to understand how much paperwork processing as well as fixing of maintenance issues.

I appreciate if can share any information or advice on where to look.

Thanks for your time and input,
Cary

In any organization the procedure is set in the Operations Manual, in General Aviation the routine is more relaxed and there is no codified flow chart as such, although it would be a simple decision box chain with few loops if it existed.

My career was in military aviation and the aircraft were assigned crew chiefs who tracked all maintenance issues and flagged them as completed in the aircraft log. The flight crew was responsible for preflight of aircraft passed by the facility maintenance department as ready for dispatch. Any significant issues discovered in preflight were addressed by the maintenance crew immediately, although in my branch (USCG) our response times were critical and no aircraft were put in dispatch status unless they were squawk free.

Go out to the local airport and get an hour of ground instruction on pre flight inspections. Have the CFI copy all the checklists.

There are a number of textbooks on aviation maintenance management, including those by King and Kennison. You might also search such periodicals as Aviation Maintenance, Air Maintenance Update, and Aircraft Maintenance Technology. Also, if you're near an airport with an air carrier operation (passenger or freight), you might go ask their maintenance department for help. Finally, you might contact the local FAA Flight Standards District Office and speak with one of their Air Carrier Airworthiness Inspectors.

Go out to the local airport and get an hour of ground instruction on pre flight inspections. Have the CFI copy all the checklists.
That's not the sort of checklist the OP is asking about. This is about maintenance control procedures in large, organized operations,, not pilot walkaround inspection items in light GA flying.

Thanks for all your advice. I really appreciate it.

Back