Pratical Aviator Organizer - worth it?

MrPink480

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
James
Hello all,
I am new to this site and this is my first post. I have been reading the advice given to others and have found it very helpfull.
I am a new student with about 13 hrs. Working towards my PPL out of Long Island.
I read in the recent issue of AOPA Flight Training about the Pratical Aviator Organizer for PPL students, have any of you used it? If so, have you found is helpfull / worth the money?
Thanks for any advise you can give me. I am sure I will be back to post training specific questions in the near future.

I've tried to get to the PAO website with no luck - don't know if it's down or just really busy. Until I know more about the notebook, I really can't comment in detail - but - here's my opinion.

Instead of spending $50 plus shipping, build your own. Get a 3-ring notebook, a set of tab inserts, and start adding what you consider important. You & the CFI spend a session talking about performance, so you get a copy of the POH and write down all the performance numbers and limitations. Add that to your notebook.

The PTS is free and online at the FAA website. In fact, there's a wealth of Free material for downloading including all the manuals (particularly PHAK - Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge) except for specific POH. Download the PTS, add that to your notebook. Use the sections of the PTS as the sections of the notebook. It's a great starting point. And from reading the ads & comments it appears that's exactly what the PAO is.

Update: Just got to the website and read thru the contents of the PP version.

http://thepracticalaviator.com/our-products-2/private-pilot-edition/

IMHO it's another tool but you really don't need to spend $50 for a binder & tabs. What it does is force you to put everything into one place. You can do that yourself. In fact, in the first part of the PTS are two checklists - one for you and one for the examiner. Next part of the PTS is the lists of task in each category you will be expected to perform.

Last edited:
Lots of gizmos to spend your money on. Save it and fly more.

Welcome to POA.

Last edited:
Based on the web site page, it looks like just another practical test guide. Seems to me the PTS includes all of what you need in that regard.

I've tried to get to the PAO website with no luck - don't know if it's down or just really busy. Until I know more about the notebook, I really can't comment in detail - but - here's my opinion.

Instead of spending $50 plus shipping, build your own. Get a 3-ring notebook, a set of tab inserts, and start adding what you consider important. You & the CFI spend a session talking about performance, so you get a copy of the POH and write down all the performance numbers and limitations. Add that to your notebook.

The PTS is free and online at the FAA website. In fact, there's a wealth of Free material for downloading including all the manuals (particularly PHAK - Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge) except for specific POH. Download the PTS, add that to your notebook. Use the sections of the PTS as the sections of the notebook. It's a great starting point. And from reading the ads & comments it appears that's exactly what the PAO is.

Update: Just got to the website and read thru the contents of the PP version.

http://thepracticalaviator.com/our-products-2/private-pilot-edition/

IMHO it's another tool but you really don't need to spend $50 for a binder & tabs. What it does is force you to put everything into one place. You can do that yourself. In fact, in the first part of the PTS are two checklists - one for you and one for the examiner. Next part of the PTS is the lists of task in each category you will be expected to perform.

I did the notebook and tabs. I got my Sport in 2011 and PPL in August. I still refer to it.

Thanks everyone, great advise and insight. I am going to try to make my own binder... I think the more I do myself the more I will learn and retain.

Thanks everyone, great advise and insight. I am going to try to make my own binder... I think the more I do myself the more I will learn and retain.

You've just passed your first test, realizing it's your responsibility to make the effort.

Back