Practice approach at KPIT

Discussion in 'Cleared for the Approach' started by tigerowner, Jul 25, 2021.

1. tigerowner

tigerowner Pre-Flight

Display name:
    Tigerowner
    Would they grant a request for a piston to do a practice approach midday on a weekday? What about a landing/taxi back and depart? If you’ve done this recently, did you encounter any issues with the request?

2. Nathan Miller

Nathan Miller Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Nathan
    While I don't have specific experience with KPIT, I did something recently at a very busy Class B airport (KIAD - Dulles, VA). I requested a low-approach only, terminating in a climbing left turnout to the west. It took a bit of patience (and delay vectors) as they worked me in. I'd say I had a 50/50 chance of getting it... depends on the controller and the kind of day they're having.

At the time, I was a VFR only pilot, but I filed an IFR flight plan with "VFR/025" in the altitude block (standard practice for a VFR DC-SFRA flight plan) - this technique forwards my flight plan to ATC and clues them in that I'm a VFR flight. I've also found it to be helpful in non DC-SFRA flights at towered fields. It produces a strip and saves time on the frequency having to relay AC type, etc.

Last year I was "cleared for the option" at KIAD. But this was at the height of the pandemic hysteria, so the airspace was nearly empty and the controllers were bored.

3. kayoh190

kayoh190 Administrator Management Council Member

Display name:
    Kayoh@190
    PIT has been a shell of its normal self for over a decade now. I hate saying it because the airport and controllers are awesome, but if you want to do approaches or whatever else, I don't think it'll be a problem.

dmspilot likes this.
  4. dmspilot

dmspilot En-Route

Display name:
    Display name:
    PIT hasn't been a hub airport in over a decade and is a shadow of its former self. The level of traffic is more on par with a Class C airport.

5. dmspilot

dmspilot En-Route

Display name:
    Display name:
    Agree...never operated at PIT but I earned my instrument rating nearby and the TRACON controllers were always great.

6. jordane93

jordane93 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Jordan
    I’ve gone in both VFR and IFR. They will most likely accommodate you. It’s a pretty sleepy B

7. PPC1052

PPC1052 Final Approach

Display name:
    PPC
    Agreed. I flew to Alleghany airport once, and dealt with the KPIT controllers. They seemed pretty lax, and weren't sticklers for their airspace. I had to ask a couple of times to confirm I could enter their airspace when their vectors on flight following led me into their airspace. They just seemed to assume all was ok.

8. tigerowner

tigerowner Pre-Flight

Display name:
    Tigerowner
    Thanks for the replies. PIT was easy to work with, they granted my approach requests and allowed me to land and taxi back. It was definitely quiet there.

dmspilot and Nathan Miller like this.