Practical ditching gear for near coast flight in warm water?

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
So I'm in early planning stages for another trip to FL, we're doing some different destinations including Key West this time and this time are likely to be over open water. Last year I flew along the coast line a bit but well within gliding range to shore, this time I'll be as much as 50nm out which is significant for me having done almost all of my flying over the midwest.

My thinking is I should be OK with a couple of self-inflating life vests like this or similar and a PLB. I guess the additional option would be a raft but seeing as how this is going to be close to the coast in FL in OCT is that really necessary? We can both swim, I'm not a great swimmer by any means but I can keep myself afloat. My wife is better.

Sound reasonable to people who know this area? Anything else I should be thinking of?

Everyone's standards are different but for me, I don't go over open water without vests for all occupants and a big Winslow life raft. But I already have all of that because I do fly in the Caribbean and other parts a good amount. When I had just vests, I would either rent a raft or follow the keys chain so I could stay within glide range of land.

So I'm in early planning stages for another trip to FL, we're doing some different destinations including Key West this time and this time are likely to be over open water. Last year I flew along the coast line a bit but well within gliding range to shore, this time I'll be as much as 50nm out which is significant for me having done almost all of my flying over the midwest.

My thinking is I should be OK with a couple of self-inflating life vests like this or similar and a PLB. I guess the additional option would be a raft but seeing as how this is going to be close to the coast in FL in OCT is that really necessary? We can both swim, I'm not a great swimmer by any means but I can keep myself afloat. My wife is better.

Sound reasonable to people who know this area? Anything else I should be thinking of?

Don't take this the wrong way but the sea could care less how well you can swim when the current is moving and the seas are not slick calm.

I would get a 4 person raft with out a doubt, as in not even thinking twice about it.

I usually wear inflatable suspenders,on all over water flights,for the northeast and Great Lakes ,I like a small life raft. In Florida I'm comfortable with the suspenders ,unless going to the Bahamas ,then I want a raft.

attachment.php

In doing a lot of research on ditching and reading pilot's experiences...the one common theme I got out was the incapacitation from and unexpected impact of the head and face to the yoke and/or dash at impact due to the rapid deceleration.

I would want two inflatables...one as a air bag and one for put of the plane!

The other big thing to worry about is hypothermia. It's not a big problem in tropical waters, but you can still get it, particularly if you're in deep water.

I didn't know you could rent them, where can you do that and what if you don't plan on returning to the same airport?

I believe many FBO's have rental vests and rafts on the Atlantic coast of FL. You might find an FBO with multiple FL locations that you can one way rent a raft. But it sounds like not a common thing.
I went to Key West during a dive trip a few months ago. I next want to fly down there. That has to be a beautiful place from the air.

The other big thing to worry about is hypothermia. It's not a big problem in tropical waters, but you can still get it, particularly if you're in deep water.

The raft will almost always prevent that, since it has a wind break and you can huddle up for warmth.

In doing a lot of research on ditching and reading pilot's experiences...the one common theme I got out was the incapacitation from and unexpected impact of the head and face to the yoke and/or dash at impact due to the rapid deceleration.

I would want two inflatables...one as a air bag and one for put of the plane!

A full face motorcycle helmet should help with that.

Aviation writer Amy Laboda ditched her 210 off of Tampa-St. Pete and has written several articles about the experience. Google search?

Bob Gardner

Add a strobe, if your PLB or vest doesn't have one? I found it difficult to spot and track small objects (like the top 1/2 of a human), even when searching over pretty calm water.

Sounds silly, but if you wear glasses, maybe add a Croakie to keep them on your face, too.

I'm sorry. I don't know where my head is tonight.
I saw the title and this is what popped into my head.

You don't need any gear.
Just look her in the eyes, and in the most sincere voice and manner you can fake, just tell her "You've been wonderful, You're perfect. It's not you, It's me."
If you can't fake sincere, just text her.

I'm sorry. I don't know where my head is tonight.
I saw the title and this is what popped into my head.

You don't need any gear.
Just look her in the eyes, and in the most sincere voice and manner you can fake, just tell her "You've been wonderful, You're perfect. It's not you, It's me."
If you can't fake sincere, just text her.

Oh, like any of the guys on here were ever the one that did the ditching. :rofl:

I had to ditch outside Haiphong Harbor once and didn't have any special gear.
Except what was in the seat pack.
And the raft and survival gear.
And the USS Ranger, and the USS Kitty Hawk, plus the rest of the carrier task force, and a couple of SAR helicopters off the Kitty.
Other than that, I had nothing.

Back