PPl to career pilot

aaltes

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
aaltes
I live in lou,ky and have been seriously thinking about getting my ppl and continue all the way for career. Just wanting to know the difficulty i will face when i go to get my first job to build hours? I will have an Associates in science and have read a bachelors is really the minimum that most airlines require. And info will be greatly appreciated. thanks

The major airlines generally require a bachelor's degree, but the regionals generally will settle for an associate. Most of the time-building jobs don't care much beyond your pilot/instructor credentials and a high school diploma.

BTW, if your post is an example of the best you can write, you will have to improve your written communication skills to get either of those degrees. Note that first impressions are lasting, and the letter you send to a prospective employer or the admissions office of a college or university creates their first impression of you.

Now my next question would be what is the best route to find jobs to build my hours? There are a couple flight schools that say once you have your instructor license they will allow you to work there. But I don’t know how true this is, or if it just them trying to lure people in. I haven’t committed to any school yet but trying to get as much information as possible. This is a huge expense to endure and I just want to gather as much as I can beforehand.

Thank you,
Anthony

Anthony the only way to find out is to get out and do the legwork.

If I am in your shoes, and I was looking for volume, I would be looking to see what areas had the highest volume of students then work your way down the list until you found a place you fit in.

Talk with the instructors that are already there, you might find some shady onnes, you might find some that are willing to help you out. You will never know unless you are the one who does the legwork.

No I totally understand. This has been a dream of mine and I'm looking to finally pursue. I greatly appreciate the response. I am very fortunate to find this forum.

Thank you,
Anthony

You seem to be doing it for the right idea, the love of aviation. Keep the dream alive, and I'm sure you won't have any regrets on your road to joining the ranks of professional pilots.

CFIing is a easy option if you think you could be a good teacher

Pipeline, harder to get into but better experience

Banner towing (tailwheel)

Photo pilot (tend to want a little more time)

Willflyforfood climbto and all the other job sites

Etc

I would get on pprune, this site has more hobby and past tense pilots, pprune is more of the pro site.

This is one of the best, most even handed web site about becoming a professional pilot:

http://thetruthabouttheprofession.weebly.com/

Here are two forums where you can get a feeling for what you want to do. I'll warn you now, there is a lot of bitterness and anger on these sites.

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/

http://forums.propilotworld.com/

The second site is a paid site, but they offer a free 7 day trial.

I live in lou,ky and have been seriously thinking about getting my ppl and continue all the way for career. Just wanting to know the difficulty i will face when i go to get my first job to build hours? I will have an Associates in science and have read a bachelors is really the minimum that most airlines require. And info will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Now my next question would be what is the best route to find jobs to build my hours? There are a couple flight schools that say once you have your instructor license they will allow you to work there. But I don’t know how true this is, or if it just them trying to lure people in. I haven’t committed to any school yet but trying to get as much information as possible. This is a huge expense to endure and I just want to gather as much as I can beforehand.

Thank you,
Anthony
So, you can write effectively. Good! :)

yes my first post was just me writing straight from my mind. But I have very well written communication skills. Your post made me think i need to always represent myself professionally.

I live in Louisville, KY if you need recommendations on instructors/FBO's feel free to contact me.

My CFI was late coming into aviation, got his PPL in 2004 to fly for a hobby, decided he wanted a career in flying so went on to get his CFI ratings, worked at his local flight school for a few years and is finally close to living his dream, he has landed a job with an Airline and is currently on his induction training course and just another few weeks from getting his wings.. And he is 49 yrs old, and is the perfect example of if you want something badly enough go out there and get it..

Good luck with achieving you're dream..

It seems to me that English is not Anthony's first language. This may be an issue when it comes to applying for pilot jobs in america.

No Will, English is my first language. I greatly appreciate all those with good advice for me. But I am not on here for grammar or English lessons. This is an forum and people like you are very discouraging. If you have nothing positive to include about my question i would rather you not reply at all. But once again thank you to those for the great advice and direction.

No Will, English is my first language. I greatly appreciate all those with good advice for me. But I am not on here for grammar or English lessons. This is an forum and people like you are very discouraging. If you have nothing positive to include about my question i would rather you not reply at all. But once again thank you to those for the great advice and direction.

Actually, I don't think this was meant to be disparaging or discouraging at all, but rather an observation based on the syntax used.

My CFI was late coming into aviation, got his PPL in 2004 to fly for a hobby, decided he wanted a career in flying so went on to get his CFI ratings, worked at his local flight school for a few years and is finally close to living his dream, he has landed a job with an Airline and is currently on his induction training course and just another few weeks from getting his wings.. And he is 49 yrs old, and is the perfect example of if you want something badly enough go out there and get it..

Good luck with achieving you're dream..

If this is true, then this is very motivating. I have heard you have to start young if you want to go airlines. It was discussed here some time ago. Very motivating and is a perfect example of going for what you want in life.

If this is true, then this is very motivating. I have heard you have to start young if you want to go airlines. It was discussed here some time ago. Very motivating and is a perfect example of going for what you want in life.

Since the retirement age was raised to 65, one can get hired at an older age and still have a relatively productive career with the airlines. It would be tough to get on with one of the majors (not impossible) but not so much with one of the regionals.

I know this is of no help to the OP, but for someone to start a paragraph with "BTW," and then complain about proper grammar and writing syntax is kinda stupid. Then, to return and rub it in with a smart ass comment, is showing the kind of person you are.

OP'r, the best advice I was given about getting into aviation for a living was to network like crazy. Compared to other professions, aviation is a relatively small community, and people do talk to each other. Get your experience, talk to everyone you can and let them know who you are. A big part is just knowing the right person at the right time.

Cody

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

I hope you had a chance to read some of the forums I recommended.

If after reading all the reasons why not to pursue a career at the airlines, let me say that as a professional airline pilot, please reconsider why you want to be a professional pilot. I hope that you're doing it because you have a burning desire to fly. The profession has gone from a respected professional to a bus driver. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to put down bus drivers.

The biggest issue is that folks still have a false picture of what it really is like to be an airline pilot. I've been flying for the airlines since 1990. Not a single company that I worked for in the past is still in business. My friends that made it to respected airlines have all been furloughed at least once. A good friend of mine passed away while on furlough for the second time at United. Even my friend at American has been downgraded 3 times since 9/11. I don't know a single pilot that would recommend their career to their children. I just spent an hour telling my daughter's boyfriend to forget his back up plan to be an airline pilot.

I wish that I could say best wishes and good luck in your future career. I hope that you'll do your homework. I still think it's totally worth pursuing flying. I just can't recommend it for a career.

And I'm on the other end of the spectrum, I've had a wonderful career with no regrets.

Timing is everything. I think the next several years there will be many opportunities in aviation, especially in Asia. The US market will lag but I see an upswing there too eventually.

And I'm on the other end of the spectrum, I've had a wonderful career with no regrets.

Timing is everything. I think the next several years there will be many opportunities in aviation, especially in Asia. The US market will lag but I see an upswing there too eventually.

DITTO !!!! Me too. I get sick of all the whiners that expected too much too soon. This time tomorrow night I'll be over the North Atlantic in a Boeing 777. 19 years with the same company, never been furloughed. House and cars paid for, it's great job and a good life.

There is more to aviation then airlines, MUCH MORE

Here the link to that site, really is the main forum for working pilots

http://www.pprune.org/

FYI OddBallPilot is good to if you want some ideas on paths outside of the airline, not alot of materiel on there but whats there is good.

I know it won’t happen overnight and sacrifices will be made. But being a pilot just seems like a job that will always put a smile on your face every time you take off.

I know it won’t happen overnight and sacrifices will be made. But being a pilot just seems like a job that will always put a smile on your face every time you take off.

True

I LOVE MY WORK, however I know a ton of people that couldnt hack it.

Do a TON of research, try to meet people in different facets of aviation (bush, airlines), hang out at the airport as much as you can and make up your own mind.

To the OP: Following your dream is never a bad idea. I was 10 years old when my dad set me in the seat of a Kaman Husky helicopter and I was done for. If you are willing to set your goals high and work your butt off you can accomplish almost anything. That is the strength of this country. I went a slightly different route than most, a military one, but I had a great career, flew with some of the finest people on the planet and generally had a blast. Good luck!!! :thumbsup:

How can you possibly want a job where even getting anti-anxiety pills will ruin your entire career?

It does for me an thousands and thousands of others ..but it is a JOB and it does have its days ..research commuting to reserve and do everything you can to avoid that. Quality of life is great as a senior line holder ..and a prison sentence on reserve as a commuter.

Well it's certainly true, But I must add he is training with a regional airline.
He is just a regular guy with a passion for aviation, prior to earning his PP ticket in 2006, his career was on the shop floor in mechanical engineering.

It is motivating, and proves if you want something bad enough you go for it.

As an aside to this story, I spent many years looking up at the sky every time I heard an aircraft overhead, and wished I was up there flying...

At 63 yrs old I decided I had the time and money to try and achieve my dream of becoming a pilot. I began my PPL training in late 2011, and last October I got my ticket.

At times I felt I wasn't going to get there and thought of giving up, but the guy I mention above kept giving me encouragement and got me to believe in my abilities to reach my goal, he was the only CFI I had throughout my 12 months of training, so I am really happy he is now close to achieving his own goal of being the captain on board a commercial jet despite approaching his 50th birthday later this year .

Back