PPL then what?

FlightFollowing

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Flightfollowing
After a weeks of being grounded because I was living in a Temple with monks I am finally leaving on monday to go back to reallity... I schedualed to retake my medical on wensday so i am excited about that.. I have a couple more lessons left till I take my checkride.

What is next after the PPL i hear most people either go for their IFR or multi engine...

Are there any requrments for them?

Sorry i've been out of the loop for a while :( fill me in:dunno:

You need 50 hours PIC XC time before your IFR checkride, unless you go with a part 141 school. Most people recommend having at least 30 of those hours before starting Instrument training.

I think you need 250 hours for the Commerical, including 100 hours PIC and 50 hours PIC XC. You also need 10 hours complex time and a long solo VFR XC. There are a bunch of other small requirements (solo Night hours and landings, instrument training).

Some pilots go for a complex or high powered endorsement, or a tailwheel endorsement.

Len Lanetti said:
It all depends on what you want to do...lots of folks go after the instrument rating.

Len
Or PP-RH

Flew my first helicopter PAX today, Len. Had a nice lunch and a great flight to Butter Valley...
:heli:

Teerawood said:
What is next after the PPL i hear most people either go for their IFR or multi engine...
And I suppose if most folks jumped off the roof ...

Seriously, what most folks do doesn't matter. Fly for a while. See how you use the airplane. The right answer is the one that makes sense to you, no one else. If you find yourself traveling or wanting to travel, the instrument rating makes sense. If you find yourself flying on nice mornings and buzzing lakes, maybe a seaplane rating. If you watch air shows or WWI re-enactments and think they're cool, well, there's your answer right there.

Len Lanetti said:
That's always an option...and it doesn't take as many hours as you might think.

:rolleyes:

Len

But it will take more dollars than you think. :(

I would suggest the tailwheel endorsement. It's fun, doesn't cost hardly anything, and will be an immense aid in developing proficiency. Plus, for no additonal charge, you get the swagger...

I have long term goals that require the instrument and commercial licenses, and an instructor's ticket to build the time I'll need. If it weren't for that, I'd be perfectly happy stopping with my PPL ticket, and having fun with it. VFR GA meets every need I have for fun flying, limitations and all.

Though a tailwheel endorsement and seaplane rating would be fun to get, and perfectly consistent with what I enjoy doing in the air.

I agree with Ken on this one. Step back from training and enjoy flying for a while. I took six months off after getting my PPL. Your able to go out and enjoy building your XC time. Enjoy the summer and fall then go after your IFR.

You don't need 2 engines... :) Get your instrument rating next. Then the rest will all be for fun!

Ken Ibold said:
And I suppose if most folks jumped off the roof ...

Exactly.

This is supposed to be fun. You've been in training all along. Take a semester off and gallavant around to see what it's all about. When you find something you want to do next, go for it. IFR, taildragger, aerobatics, SES, glider, multi, powered parachute, XC 49 states in a cub, etc.

Do whatever spins your prop...

Teerawood said:
Don't the airlines look at mutli engine time though?

Yes but you need and instrument rating and they airlines also look for a steady progression of PIC responsibility as well. 1,500 hours of bombing around in a beat up old Apache doesn't look as good as 500 primary dual given, 500 instrument instruction, 250 hours MEL dual given and 250 Part 135 MEL PIC.

Len

Teerawood said:
Don't the airlines look at mutli engine time though?
Well, gee, you didn't say anything about an airline career when you first asked the question! That changes everything.

Being very honest with yourself about how you use your plane and why you are getting additional ratings is really important. I've now had my PPl for over 6 years and my IR for 4. I thought I would use the plane for going places and the IR would be really important.

As it turns out, I don't go anywhere. I never use the plane as transportation. It is purely for enjoyment. Just like having a boat on a lake, I go for airplane rides. Therefore, if the weather is bad, I don't go. I keep my IR certificate current, but I don't fly anywhere near enough to stay proficient. I wouldn't think of flying intentionally in IMC with my current level of experience.

That said, if you can afford it I would still recommend getting the IR. First, it was fun. I enjoyed the challenge of the training and learning more about flying. Secondly, it significantly improved my skill level. I am able to multitask much better as a result. My control of the plane is more precise and gentle. My anxiety level has decreased. Third, I am much more comfortable operating in larger airports and congested airspace. I can fly IFR procedures, I just only want to do it in VMC. Fourth, there is some added safety. I am confident that if I were to get into an IMC situation inadvertantly, I could get myself out. Such situation occur and they don't require clouds. Night flying or hazy humid days heading into the sun can put you into positions where you are really instrument flying even though it is technically VMC.

Can you achieve all of those advantages without actually getting the IR? Absolutely. The IR does provide the structure and incentive to really work at it and keep you on task. If you have the money and want the challenge, I'd go for it. If you intend to use the plane as a practical tool and fly anywhere except maybe the desert southwest, then I'd definitely get the IR. If you are like me and just doing this for fun, then I'd think seriously. I'd get it for the reason I stated above. But if you think you are going to use the IR, then you have to be committed to fly IFR, in IMC, on a very regular basis. It is not something that you can do once every couple of months as a lark.

Back