PPL Getting back in the game

Midpoint

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Midpoint
Figured since I'll be posting here I should give an intro and a little info about me. My name is Matt I'm 30 and I haven't flown since 2003. I got my training out of Olympia Wa (KOLM)

My love for flying started at 8. My uncle was a pilot and I remember flying with him as a kid. I always had great memories of it. I spent my youth racing motorcycles to a fairly high level. My grandparents were great and for a graduation present they said they'd pay for any type of schooling I wanted. That's when I decided I wanted to get my PPL. I worked my ass off and took to it quickly. I continued racing and that really took my focus until I quit in 05. Focused changed to family and I went to work in Seattle in 06. Married with two kids now I'm finally in a place where I really want to start flying again.

I've been reading up and studying, trying to refresh my memory. Sent out for new PPL card bad gonna get a medical soon. My goal is to get current by June or July. Sadly I did lose my logbook during 1 of my last 8 moves but I had around 52 hours if my memory is right. How does that work exactly?

What would be a good airport to make my home-field in the pierce county area? There's auburn or piece count municipal any other opinions on a good place? Anyways I've made this longer than intended and I look forward to the advice and information available. Thanks!

I have been out of flying myself since 2003. I had 150 hours and lost my log book.
Going to submit to FAA my check ride records that show I had 70 hours of flight time so I can regain that info for my log book. Sorta the Same Story for me as well.
Moving, Family, life events put flying on hold even though I'm actively fly RC airplanes.

Last Saturday I put in 1.1 hours on the Hobbs and was rusty as heck on everything. Take off and landing I performed great though.

I suggest before you put in time, effort and money getting current is go flying with an instructor, and make sure you want to fly again as a PIC.
I did this and its like reliving the dream again.

Good Luck. I'm right there with you buddy.

Last edited:
Hi Matt. You can request a of the form you completed to take your check ride, which documents your time up until then. You may be able to contact the FBO you rented from to see if they have old records of rentals, for you to recreate your logbook. In the grand scheme of things, the hours you logged after passing the check ride aren't a big deal.

Make sure you can pass the medical. Get a new third class, and get with an instructor. You don't need to have the medical in order to do the flight review, though.

Good luck! It's not going to be as hard to get back into the swing of things as you think.

Thanks. I'm not concerned with passing the medical and your right the lost 10 or so hours isn't the biggest deal in the world. I'm more concerned with the loss of a lot of knowledge. I've been reading up the pilots handbook of aeronautical information and studying sectionals it is coming back to me slowly. I want to be as prepared as possible before finding a CFI.

Welcome to the forum,get your medical,do home study and hook up with a CFI or flight school. You'll be surprised how fast flying comes back to you. Good luck.

If you knew me you'd know motivation isn't a factor. Every thing I do I go all in. But I appreciate your advice I will be getting up sooner rather than later. The bug is alive and well.

And thanks for that resource, I will check it out after work.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm not concerned with passing the medical and your right the lost 10 or so hours isn't the biggest deal in the world. I'm more concerned with the loss of a lot of knowledge. I've been reading up the pilots handbook of aeronautical information and studying sectionals it is coming back to me slowly. I want to be as prepared as possible before finding a CFI.

Cozy up to these free books published by the FAA:

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aircraft/airplane_handbook/
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/

That should keep you busy for a while and will definately refresh your brain. Procedurally, there are not many changes to VFR flying since you last flew. Have fun!

How it works -

You need your medical and a biennial flight review from an instructor, then you're legal to fly as PIC

Realistically, you're going to need some additional training to get current on what's changed in the past 10 years and to knock the rust off...plus an instructor isn't going to sign off the BFR if you're too rusty.

I won't guess at how long that takes, it will be different for everyone, kind of like learning to solo.

I have a ten year hole in my logbook (1983-93 or so). I just grabbed my old private text book and a current FAR and AIM and crammed for a week and went in for a BFR. Took a couple of lessons but I was good to go.

Yeah been reading up on the FAR/AIM just spending all my free time on it. The more I think about it the more excited I get. Weather looks good for the weekend ill probably go check out some FBOs maybe do an hour on Sunday.

Any recommendations for a good FBO in the greater Seattle (south) area. Prices seem pretty much the same according to web sites I was researching last night.

Last edited:
Welcome

I had a 31 year hiatus, and my license was from Canada. Fortunately, I did have my logbook (will wonders never cease). For me it was tougher given my age and length of time away; plus a new airspace system, country etc. I also had to take a knowledge exam.

There are apps and DVDs from Sporty's for the review. I don't know if King has any; but if you check out King call then and ask for Andrea Stout.

Good luck.

I had no clue you were that "aged". Glad to see that even after so long away that you came back :)

Thanks. Got my license when I was 17. My 21 year old son just got his last weekend. I stopped flying when I was younger than him.....

Anybody in the Seattle area? Got some FBO suggestions. Gonna go look around this weekend. Closest to me is S50, KPLU or KRNT. Thanks in advance.

Back