PP for G1000

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
PP practice on the G1000 is quite different from that on a steam gauge-equipped airplane. What I find interesting is that one still has to practice timed turns, since the backup instruments do not include a DG.

My question for those of you who own a G1000 aircraft is this: Did you install, or think of installing a DG as part of the backup instruments?

I wonder only because, if one is -really- to the point of only using the "three-pack," it means there has been a double failure, and both screens are blank. I understand the odds of that are very slim, unless there's been a catastrophic electrical failure.

The only scary failure I've personally experienced with the G1000 was when it decided to self-dim to 0% backlight by itself. I was able to go in and manually set the backlight level in the settings, but without looking closely it seemed like both screens were blank. Separately, I've read of a case where a ferry pilot ran into an invalid fuel level sensor input causing the G1000 to continuously reboot in flight.

The lack of independent COMM/NAV bugs me more than anything else. I can fly on the standby instruments plus compass until the airplane is out of gas, but that doesn't necessarily get me onto the ground.

The only scary failure I've personally experienced with the G1000 was when it decided to self-dim to 0% backlight by itself. I was able to go in and manually set the backlight level in the settings, but without looking closely it seemed like both screens were blank. Separately, I've read of a case where a ferry pilot ran into an invalid fuel level sensor input causing the G1000 to continuously reboot in flight.

The lack of independent COMM/NAV bugs me more than anything else. I can fly on the standby instruments plus compass until the airplane is out of gas, but that doesn't necessarily get me onto the ground.

Those are weird and scary failures.

PP practice on the G1000 is quite different from that on a steam gauge-equipped airplane. What I find interesting is that one still has to practice timed turns, since the backup instruments do not include a DG.

My question for those of you who own a G1000 aircraft is this: Did you install, or think of installing a DG as part of the backup instruments?

I wonder only because, if one is -really- to the point of only using the "three-pack," it means there has been a double failure, and both screens are blank. I understand the odds of that are very slim, unless there's been a catastrophic electrical failure.

To be using the three-pack, all you need is an AHRS failure, since that will kill your AI and HSI while leaving both screens alive. In that case, what you do is set up your MFD to show desired track and actual track in the boxes up top, and use the three standby gauges to keep your wings level and altitude correct, then use timed turns or gentle banks to make the actual track match desired track.

Only when you lose GPS as well does it become a real PITA because now you're back to the CDI for VOR navigation, and timed turns using the compass for heading. Still easier than in a steam airplane where a vacuum failure and no GPS leaves you only a VOR, a compass, and a TC, plus the P/S instruments.

Back