PP-ASEL soloing AMEL XC

Apache123

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hey, Steve!
I've been reading through part 61 trying to find an answer to this.

I'm a PP-ASEL and I own an Apache (PA-23-150 model) that I've received a few hours of dual (~20) in. Let's say I wanted to visit a friend about 70nm away; since I have my private certificate and an MEI's signature to solo this aircraft type, can I fly this cross country under my own initiative, or will my instructor have to 'approve' it just as though I were doing a solo XC as a student pre-PP?

Cheers!
A123

If you already have a private pilots license for ASEL, AND you have a solo endorsement for AMEL in the make and model that you plan to fly, I don't think you are required to have a cross country endorsement for the AMEL since you already have the private pilots license and you are no longer a "student" pilot.

don't take my word for it though. I don't know what FAR says this. I'm sure someone will come along who can state it either way for a fact.

Your solo endorsement should be under 14CFR 61.31(d) which allows you to solo and PIC in aircraft for which you are not rated. The endorsement should specify AMEL and the make/model. If your insurance company is happy, there should be no issues.

There is no XC requirement for the add-on rating, so no XC endorsement needed. As another post stated, you are already qualified for XC.

I have a bigger question.....who are you insured with??

Just curious what company would cover someone to fly a twin solo without the rating. I tried to buy an Apache myself when I wanted to get my ME rating and Avemco wouldn't even offer coverage with an instructor onboard let alone solo.

Back