PP-ASEL Checkride Questions...

Snaggletooth

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Dustin
Ok, as most of yall know I/m getting close to my Checkride. After my last lesson my CFI told me to get on www.faa.gov and pull up the list of DPE's and find one I liked. But I have a few questions for yall.

1) I noticed that most of the DPE's had an Aircraft List below their names. Is that the Aircraft they use on the Checkrides? Will I get to use my CFI's Plane, or do I have to use one of their Planes?

2) Can anyone tell me what DPE's are the best in the Houston, Tx area? Will any of them come to BYY, or will I have to go to them?

1) You fly the aircraft you are most familiar with, and the most comfortable in.
2) Why isn't your CFI recommending a DE? Every CFI I've known has 2-3 DEs that that are familiar with, know the personalities, and what the DEs are looking for in a checkride.

As for location, that's for you and the DE to negotiate. And remember to bring cash.

Are there any other pilots and CFIs in the area you can talk to about DEs?

And it's properly written y'all, not yall, altho it's pronounced yawl.

1) I noticed that most of the DPE's had an Aircraft List below their names. Is that the Aircraft they use on the Checkrides? Will I get to use my CFI's Plane, or do I have to use one of their Planes?

It is the list of aircraft they have a letter of authorization to give checkrides in. When I did my multiengine checkride I had to go two states over to find a DPE who had a letter for the oddball twin I was flying.

Your CFI should send you to a particular DPE and he should be able to tell you what that particular DPEs quirks and foibles are.

I know most CFI's are comfortable with one or two DPEs but the signoff should be good with any examiner that does the test by the PTS.

Sorry I don't know any in your area. Might want to call a few and check on price and availability. Ask about what they emphasize on the check ride. See which ones you like.

Joe

Why is your CFI not doing the recommending???

Hasn't s/he sent other students for their PPL checkride??

Seems silly to me to throw that task on your plate.

It is the list of aircraft they have a letter of authorization to give checkrides in. When I did my multiengine checkride I had to go two states over to find a DPE who had a letter for the oddball twin I was flying.

Now that's odd....I just looked up the DE that I'll be taking my instrument with, and there's 2 aircraft, neither are the model I'll be flying. And others have no aircraft listed at all. Or is that the list of additional aircraft they have access to?

There seems to be a lack (on the FAA website) of information and explanation about the aircraft list.

1) I noticed that most of the DPE's had an Aircraft List below their names. Is that the Aircraft they use on the Checkrides?
The FAA has restrictions on examiners for multiengine checkrides, and those are the multiengine planes in which they are authorized to give checks. The FAA doesn't limit them on single-engine airplanes (other than those specifically requiring special authorization, like a P-51 or the like).

Will I get to use my CFI's Plane, or do I have to use one of their Planes?
You can use whatever single-engine plane you bring as long as it can do all the tasks in the PTS (and has enough available payload for both you and the examiner -- don't show up for a ride in a C-150 if you weigh 250 and the examiner weighs the same).

Thanks for the help guys!

My CFI is not recommending a DPE because the one he always used, just got his DPE privileges striped. So I'm looking for one my self. He had one other he knew of, but told me to look them up if I wanted.

Now that's odd....I just looked up the DE that I'll be taking my instrument with, and there's 2 aircraft, neither are the model I'll be flying. And others have no aircraft listed at all. Or is that the list of additional aircraft they have access to?

There seems to be a lack (on the FAA website) of information and explanation about the aircraft list.

- The list may only apply to twins and Helos. I checked for the surrounding FSDOs and all I could see are various twin types and Helos. I doubt that any DPE would have a problem giving a private checkride in any of the common trainers (152,172,PA28 etc.)

- The list is incomplete or not current. I know my DPE got the letter a couple of weeks before my checkride yet the type is not listed on the FAA site.

Back