Powered Paragliding (PPG) Lessons In Progress

Thanks Tony, Steingar, and Miss Kimberly, I'm truly loving this type of flying in addition to flying the Viking Witch (N8388W). I just got back from Denver a few weeks ago, where I took vacation before and after a work committment and was able to get in some free (motorless) flying off the Rockies. It's so incredibly fun sitting out there in a lawn-chair (harness), able to feel the wind and smell the smells. I put up a bunch of new vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/otisair if anyone is bored and would like have a look.

Also, we'll be having a PPG / PPC (powered parachute) fly-in down at Campbell Field (9VG) in Virginia on Sep 30 - Oct 2, 2011. Fixed Wings are certainly welcomed but if it's possible to arrive in the middle of the day, that would be much appreciated (of course, the choice is always yours). PPG's fly primarily during the first 3 hours of daylight and the last 3 hours of day light when the thermals are week and the ride is relatively smooth. Paragliders, however, do look for thermal activity just as Gliders do. It's a different form of flying, but anyway... :)

Also, Campbell Field has towed hang-glider rides as well but I'm not sure what the cost is.

The PPG / PPC community will be camping out all weekend and runnin' around like a bunch of hillbillies for the most part, when not flying. We're planning on a few PPG related classes during the middle part of the day including maintenance, videography, tow-behind camera gliders (attached to wing), and perhaps FAR 103.

Perhaps we'll get to see some of ya'll there. :)

Did you take a checkride this past weekend? Becky and I were riding out to Lancaster on our motorcycle and shortly after Morgantown airport there were three powered powergliders up and flying about, two of which were flying together for quite a while. That was friday evening, sure looked like a lot of fun!

Congratulations!!

Now you just need to ditch that chainsaw on your back, and go soaring :)

Congrats BTW

Rob, that was the group that I fly with. I was airborne but flying alone. The other two fella's a good peeps too; one of them is a fixed wing CFI up at KPTW.

Steinee - not thinking Beth and I will make it to Whisker Vicktey this year. We waited real late to try to book and now the Mrs has work committments in Little Rock the Friday before and returning again on Sunday evening for the next week. :-(

Now you just need to ditch that chainsaw on your back, and go soaring :)

Congrats BTW

LOL, THanks! :thumbsup: Still have a LOT to learn about soaring and thermals before I'm confident enough to try a glider. In the paraglider (or PPG for that matter), engine outs and off-field landings are (should be) at most and inconveneince and not an emergency scenario. I figure I'd get airborne in a glider and end up some how in the Walmart parking lot.

Do you video your flights? Would love to see 'em!

Thanks again.

Steinee - not thinking Beth and I will make it to Whisker Vicktey this year. We waited real late to try to book and now the Mrs has work committments in Little Rock the Friday before and returning again on Sunday evening for the next week. :-(

Phoooey!

LOL, THanks! :thumbsup: Still have a LOT to learn about soaring and thermals before I'm confident enough to try a glider.

Nah. Just go do it.

Beginners in gliders are taught to plan rate of descent and proximity to the airport to arrive overhead with tons and tons (for a glider's glide ratio) of altitude to spare.

Tony and others can jump in here, but all these advanced glider folk's stories about landing out and barely making it to airports is much later in the curriculum when you start learning to cross-country in a glider. It's long after you've gotten a feel for the performance capabilities of your ship and learned how to look for appropriate places to land out. And you never *have* to compete or do anything even remotely risky, altitude-wise, ever... if you don't want to.

Just like in powered flying, you can fly from guaranteed good landing spot (airports if you like) to a high enough altitude that only a mighty weather phenomenon would mean you landing where you want would not be assured 100%.

The glider competitor's stories might be giving you the impression that you need more experience with thermals and lift to get started than you think you do. The majority of my dual and solo flights were always within *easy* teach of the airport I launched from. Sometimes you get lift, sometimes you don't. But you've always got "money in the bank".

In fact, in early glider flying you may need/want more landings and completely ignore the lift, come off-tow, and head right back to the airport. Later you can shoot for altitudes and times aloft. All based on your comfort level.

Your glider CFI won't be wandering you off all that far from the airport without showing you along the way where all the appropriate places to land are at in the area during initial training at all.

In a normal airport pattern in a glider you'll almost always be so relatively high that you'll need lift killing devices (spoilers) to even get down to the runway.

Go give it a shot. You'll find it's really really cool. And the safety margin is enormous with high glide ratio aircraft.

Back