Power settings with Turbonormalizing System!

F

Fly Duck

Purchased a 1985 F33A in Sept. '06. It has GAMI, Turbonormalizing System, IO 520, etc. The Turbonormalizer was installed in the late '90s. The saleswoman, my A&P (also flies turbo Mooney) nor my flight instructor has been able to definitely answer these questions:

Cruise Climb: rpm (e.g. 2700, 2500); Manifold Pressure (e.g., 2500, 2900); Mixture (e.g., full rich, 18 gph)

Recommended Cruise: rpm (e.g., 2300, 2500); Manifold Pressure (e.g., 25.0 in, 29.0 in); Mixture appx. 16.5 gph

Do you have some advice or know where I could go to get advice.

Thanks!

Yes, I'd have to know more, but those settings don't sound good.

There is an Advance Pilot's Seminar that is given the the GAMI/Tornado Alley folks (may be available on line now) that is something you should just do with this configuration. Do you have a graphic engine monitor? Really essential to run this right.

What jumps right out is mixture, it sounds much too low for higher power settings. On my IO-550 we ran mid 30s on takeoff and in the climb. On my TC TSIO-520s on my P-Baron, we also run low 30s on takeoff.

Which turbo system? Tornado Alley? The old Flight Craft or what?

You may want to post some on the Beechlist. Lots of folks on there running these configurations. You can just flat ruin this engine running it wrong--in a pretty short period of time.

Best,

Dave

BTW, there was a flight supplement that came with my system on my TN A-36. It showed POH replacement settings. You should get that from Tornado Alley if it's their system.

Also cylinder head temperature management will be critical to long engine life. Focus on that right away. No CHT over 380 is best practice.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
Second taking the APS course online. When you're done, you'll really understand the need for an engine monitor, and how to safely operate your turbo.

You should be able to get the supplement for your STC'ed turbocharger from the holder of the STC. That should give you a starting point for operations, and the APS course can help you improve from that baseline.

If you have a turbonormalized system, you can (until you get the material from Tornado Alley) use the cruise power settings for sea level from the POH, since that's what your engine is seeing (sea level pressure). IOW, if 25"/2500 RPM is 75% power at sea level in the book, it will be pretty close to 75% power at all altitudes with turbonormalizing. Same for cruise climb -- if Beech recommends 25"/2500 RPM for that, use it. The only difference is that you'll be able to maintain it above 5000 MSL.

If you have a turbonormalized system, you can (until you get the material from Tornado Alley) use the cruise power settings for sea level from the POH, since that's what your engine is seeing (sea level pressure). IOW, if 25"/2500 RPM is 75% power at sea level in the book, it will be pretty close to 75% power at all altitudes with turbonormalizing. Same for cruise climb -- if Beech recommends 25"/2500 RPM for that, use it. The only difference is that you'll be able to maintain it above 5000 MSL.

Ron:

I'm not disagreeing with you; one should be able to use POH settings if the plane is properly set up, but the fuel flow he states at 2500 and 25" scares me to death. These engines with turbos are notorious for having fuel flows set too low which leads to CHTs going through the roof. On that engine, the fuel flow should be at red line on the FF gauge minimum! Many folks set it higher; one can always lean, they cannot enrichen above where max. fuel flow is set. Many mechanics set these up as if they are NA; big mistake. :hairraise:

These were certified much differently than what the factory POH stuff is. Find out what’s right; it could become a very costly lesson not to.

Use of the boost pump on this plane is also important. Not as much on takeoff in winter, but certainly for a sustained climb and very much so in hot weather.

I hope the FF he's stating is incorrect.

Best,

Dave

I'd hop on the beech list and post this question. You'll have all the other of the TN IO-520 folks on there as well as the APS and GAMI folks to answer your questions.

Dave, I think he was stating hypothetical alternatives, meaning "...full rich or 18 gpm...," not that he was flowing 18 at full rich in climb.

I'd venture that exploit would not last more than a couple of flights, if that!

I hope you're right Spike. One of the disadvantages of giving one advise on a board like this, is one may not have all the critical info. FF on takeoff and in the climb, especially in a turbo is very important, as you know. I can't tell you how many folks I've talked to or that have made posts where their FF was wrong and they had no idea where their CHTs were. So, I get nervous about this when the poster doesn't seem to have any perspective.

Best,

Dave

This looks like it belongs in the maintenance bay to me... moving. :)

Last edited:
Back