Post surgery CBD and Medical Exam

A

Also Incognito 1

Hi all--

Trying to figure out my chances of passing my medical. After a 25 year absence from flying, I've decided to finally pursue a childhood dream of a career in aviation. However, I have an issue where I had a surgery 4 months ago and, instead of taking opioid painkillers after surgery, the doctor said I could take CBD... so I did for about 4 days. I do have a letter from the surgeon saying the procedure was a success and no further treatment needed. Now looking at the Medxpress question relating to drug use, how do I answer that one? I went with the natural, less harmful, less addictive pain killer... but could that effectively kill my approval? Do I write a personal statement explaining it and then have to wait for 12 months for an answer? I have an appointment with a DME next week and now feel I'm screwed either way. Any thoughts on how to handle this? Thanks in advance!

I would consider canceling your appointment the AME until ALL of your questions are answered and you know beyond 100% you will have the medical issued.

Pinging Doctor's Lou and Bruce for their input on the CBD use and what documents the OP needs to have from his surgery. @lbfjrmd @bbchien

Did he write a script? Regardless, I think you are gonna be disappointed in what the AME tells you. If I really wanted to get froggy though, I would push it through, let the FAA deep six you and then file a lawsuit to see where the courts vs the FAA stands. If it is, or has become, a medically accepted practice, I don't think the courts will accept the approved CBD usage as tantamount to a doper sparking up a doobie for fun on a Friday night. How other could you rule given the cornucopia of highly addictive scripts written that if used as directed, are not disqualifying?

Regardless, you will have to disclose and you will get denied because you are now a "pot head" to the inept FAA bureaucracy. Except a fiscally challenging battle, substance abuse meetings, history of clean urine samples, a psychological eval, or three..... You get it the picture.

Go sport pilot if ou want to fly around a bit. Getting the medical, I honestly think you are screwed at this point.

took it for 4 days? I don't see a problem.

But does this mean don't disclose? Or change my medical to a "consult" and ask what to do? My AME is one of the good ones mentioned on this board who I've heard is good working through difficult cases, but does that mean he can make a call to OKC and push it through? Realistically, how many weeks/months is this going to delay me? And anything else I need to bring to my appointment?

Thanks, all!

Isn’t CBD legal if it has less than some amount (0.3%?) of THC? If you used legal CBD, what’s to disclose?

If you are not currently taking it, it there even a place that you have to disclose it? It doesn’t ask for all medications you’ve taken during your life .

If you are not currently taking it, it there even a place that you have to disclose it? It doesn’t ask for all medications you’ve taken during your life .

The only reason I can see to possibly mention it is question 18.n:

Substance dependence or failed

a drug test ever; or substance

abuse or use of illegal substance

in the last 2 years

If CBD is legal (and I believe it is, if the THC percentage is low enough), then I don't think there's any need to disclose. But I hope one of our forum docs will chime in if that's wrong.

I did talk to my AME today and he agreed I needed to disclose it along with a letter of support from my surgeon. He said it's going to raise all kinds of red flags, but that he could make a call (not sure what that means) and leave me anonymous to see how it would go. I really have no other option.

If it doesn't look good, without a medical would I still be able to train for all my certificates and then in a year and a half when the 2 year window closes get my IFR, CPL, CFI check rides all the same week (give or take)?

I did talk to my AME today and he agreed I needed to disclose it along with a letter of support from my surgeon. He said it's going to raise all kinds of red flags, but that he could make a call (not sure what that means) and leave me anonymous to see how it would go. I really have no other option.

If it doesn't look good, without a medical would I still be able to train for all my certificates and then in a year and a half when the 2 year window closes get my IFR, CPL, CFI check rides all the same week (give or take)?

You won’t be able to solo without a medical, so probably not.

What’s the reason for disclosing? Was the CBD illegal?

I would report the surgical episode. I would not make specific mention of the CBD. But I sure would get a note from the surgeon to the effect that the product in question was OTC CBD oil and to his knowledge you have not had a history of any "use disorder".

I would report the surgical episode. I would not make specific mention of the CBD. But I sure would get a note from the surgeon to the effect that the product in question was OTC CBD oil and to his knowledge you have not had a history of any "use disorder".

Thanks for responding, Dr. Chien. I'm a little confused. Don't specifically mention the CBD, but get a letter from the surgeon mentioning the CBD? The oil wasn't pure CBD (pretty close), but was bought OTC (everything is legal in my state). It still begs the question how to answer 18n.

I sure wish this whole thing wasn't an ordeal. Would've been better off using the highly addictive opioids that are legal for pain management.

You won’t be able to solo without a medical, so probably not.

I wouldn't need to solo as I already have my PPL (though I need a BFR as I haven't flown in many, many years). Then all my training for IFR/CPL/CFI is done dual, so no solo needed there.

What’s the reason for disclosing? Was the CBD illegal?

CBD and THC are legal for recreational and medical use in my state. Federally, of course, they're not.

AFAIK, CBD is legal at the federal level, too, if it contains no more than 0.3% THC, so if that’s the case there shouldn’t be any need to disclose under 18.n.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back