Post solo, not sure where to go from here - all in my head?

U

Unregistered

Throughout my first 50 pre-solo hours, things were pretty good. I grew comfortable with flying. Eventually got super comfortable on the radio and most maneuvers. Took me a bit to nail landings and get comfortable with landing in a slip which is why I didn't solo until about 50 hours. There was only one bad experience where I flew with a head cold, got up to about 1000 feet, and my instructor and I turned around because my ears were really hurting -- lesson learned!

My first solo was technically an emergency, though I didn't know enough at the time to declare. I lost a cylinder and noticed an RPM drop. Reacted pretty well - turned into downwind/base/final, landed, and taxi'd back. My instructor saw fuel flow was way high during a run up and that was the end of that.

Second solo was a bit different. I wasn't feeling 100% that day, had had a lot of coffee (which I don't drink that often, so perhaps was a little edgy), and was a bit irrationally fearful of something like the first solo happening again. Furthermore, I had done some spin training with my instructor, and had started thinking (perhaps overthinking) how steep my turns were in the pattern, etc. etc. I found myself staring at the attitude indicator on ascent instead of out the window. For a split second, I'm not sure if it was nerves or anxiety or simply a small head cold, but I became a tad disoriented and my heart started racing. Still, I turned crosswind, downwind, base, final and had an awesome landing. Told my instructor I wasn't feeling two more laps and taxi'd back.

Since then, I've been a little concerned/perhaps a little overworked about soloing again, especially with some of the recent incidents I've been reading about. It's probably nerves, but one thing I've noticed is this.... the other day, I flew one leg of a dual cross country without issues. Felt great, landed great, completely clear headed! My instructor said it was great flying. We landed, I ended up having disgusting airport food - a $100 quesadilla with cheese, not so great for my stomach - and after that, the return home didn't feel right. My stomach got upset, perhaps I felt a little dehydrated, and asked my instructor to take the controls for a few minutes.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm just one of those people that's super sensitive to coffee/diet/lack of sleep, and if perhaps it affects my flying. I'm kind of wondering where to go from here and I'm wondering if others experienced this early on. I'm willing to bet that, just like driving a car, eventually it'll seem second nature and any minor nerves (and things that go with it) will disappear. Still, I'm also wondering if I should perhaps run this by my doctor and have her verify it's just sensitivity to coffee/perhaps certain foods that make me feel this way.

Thoughts? Thanks!

You still have a long way to go (I mean, from here out till the end of your flying career is a long time...unless you bail now) so I wouldn't get worked up about nerves or anything. I'm just about in the same boat as you - post-solo, some doubts/nerves/anxiety about a this, that or something else and I know that it's entirely normal and expected and eventually I'll work thru it and get over it.

If I were you I'd probably stop eating "new" things prior to a flight. Stick to the stuff you know doesn't bother you at all. Staying hydrated is a huge deal, especially for us being student pilots and probably a bit more stressed out than we need to be.

Most of all....relax, flying is supposed to be fun, that's what my CFI is constantly telling me.

I would say perfectly normal. Flying can be mentally and physically taxing on the body and brain...you are in a constant state of stress in the beginning and if your body is not 100% that will be amplified.

Part of learning to fly is learning how to eat, drink and rest so you perform your best.

My flying routine is much different than my day to day routine. I know flying makes me dehydrated...so I have a water bottle with me at all times in the cockpit. I do not eat crap or go to fast food before a flight....I know to get a good solid balanced meal. I know not to have coffee a few hours before a flight...I know that if I am sick or have a head cold...it is a no go cuz flying when under the weather is NOT fun...or a good idea.

For some none of that may be a big deal and I would not give any of that a second though in my day to day living but have learned as a pilot what I need to do with MY mind and body to be at and remain 100% sharp in the cockpit.

Just as you do a flight plan, prep and preflight a plane...you need to meal plan, prep and preflight yourself as well before getting in the cockpit...especially when just starting out.

Last edited:
This couldn't have been said any better!

It is all about sound mind, body and soul.

Just as you do a flight plan, prep and preflight a plane...you need to meal plan, prep and preflight yourself as well before getting in the cockpit...especially when just starting out.

I had a moment in my training post solo that shook me and took me out of my game. It wasn't any big deal, was just doing ground reference maneuvers solo and hit several pockets of sinking air. I lost 100 feet and nearly ruined my shorts.

I could tell I was just off the next several flights. I spoke to my instructor about it and we came up with a plan. I needed to remember why I loved flying! I needed to start looking forward to the cockpit again instead of being nervous. We planned a cross country flight into Chattanooga and had a great time. We didn't do a whole lot of training, just enjoyed the flight. That was enough to get my back into it!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back